A-10C Tactical Training Qualification Campaign

Sabre-TLA

The AC-130 engagement is scripted so I would confirm you are looking at the correct targets (also watch out for the altitude block as indicated in the briefing). You don't want to risk a mid-air with the gunship.

Once the AC-130 gets the tasking you should see numerous explosions from their weapons systems at the target area.

F-15C-User-Bar-ACM.v2.jpg

MapleFlagMissions - Read Our Blog for Updates

I’m definitely on the correct group of tanks, because if I take them out with Mavericks the attack completes successfully. Do you recall how many groups there are to attack in this mission? As I can probably clear it with Mavericks rather than using the AC130.

I also noticed that the other flights sometimes jam up on the runways and can’t get airborne.

There are two groups of tanks to attack. The mission will still pass if you kill the targets yourself or with your wingmen.

When you IR Pointed the first target did you hear the pilot say "RAY TARGET", your TGP has to be the SOI when targeting.

If you did, did you hear the AC-130 say "COLT 1-1, ENFIELD 2-1, TALLY TARGETS!" then "ENFIELD 2-1, ENGAGING GROUND TARGETS!" and then they should engage.

The AI takeoff issue had occurred earlier but I don't recall seeing it in the 1.5.8 release - you might want to update now.

No, I didn’t receive any of those message only the first 2 parts of the comms, where you request tasking and pass on the coordinates. The AC-130 never acknowledged the IR pointing.

I actually took them out between myself and my wingmen in the end to move on to the next mission. Once you do that the AC-130 actually acknowledges the kills, but I suspect that’s because you have scripted it to do so.

On TAC 19 when I contacted Boar, Springfield and Ford flights, they didn't respond. Also after killing all targets and getting a "playtime's over, land & shutdown I'll give you a rating" call, I landed and shutdown but then nothing. FE remained silent. Probably because I didn't flew all the waypoints until the end, I went straight for the landing...?

One last thing I'd like to know: does changing payloads affect mission success? Only two mavericks and two Mk.82 isn't exactly the best payload for killing that many tanks... especially when you have AAA around shooting at you.

EDIT: It came down to not flying the last few waypoints. Redid the mission and passed it with a loadout of 4x cbu-97 & 2x agm-65d.

Edited by Nooch

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 3 weeks later...

Hello all.

First thank you so much for amazing training campaigns. I have completed Basic, Advanced, and I am now on TAC13 Danger Close Tasking. I'm really enjoying the campaigns, but I seem to be stuck here when I feel like I'm doing everything right.

The second tasking from Pinpoint is to hit a moving APC with a Maverick. I've nailed it three times now, and every time I fail because I get a Blue on Blue call. What am I doing wrong?

You need to use the gun instead of firing a Maverick. How are we supposed to know that, you might ask? Well we aren't... This is what drives me nuts with these missions. On some aspects they are extremely well designed but on others they're just straight up unacceptable.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

You need to use the gun instead of firing a Maverick. How are we supposed to know that, you might ask? Well we aren't... This is what drives me nuts with these missions. On some aspects they are extremely well designed but on others they're just straight up unacceptable.

I think our instructor wants us to apply the ROE. We should judge if the blast of the Maverick could harm friendly forces depending on the distance blue to target and possibly the cover of blue (I think they stand behind a wooden fence).

In this case we should judge that the apc is to near to the blue forces and that's why we should switch to the gun. If using the maverick we should shoot only when the APC is the furthest away.

Honestly, I always had the feeling that the standing APC was far engough away. But I'll guess we need to adapt to pass this one :joystick:

What Emuyen said. Maybe it's a subtle distinction but the mission is called Danger Close Tasking for a reason.

There is plenty of dialogue during the mission talking about Tactical Risk Assessment so you do need to consider where your weapon lands in relation to friendly forces. Each of the targets has friendlies close to the enemy units ("Danger Close") so a misplaced maverick, bomb or poor gun pass and you will hear the dreaded "Blue on Blue".

The mission only requires that the targets be eliminated without impacting the friendlies to pass.

You can use the practice mission to figure out what works best.

Edited by Sabre-TLA

True but a little note in the briefing telling us not to trust the JTAC who might give deadly directions would have been nice to see. Please put yourself in the shoes of a player who purchased the mission and who doesn't know what the intents of the developers are.

For example when you have to release illumination flares (advanced training campaign), instead of stuffing the briefing with entire paragraphs of Air Force evaluation criteria, I would have liked to see something about the fact we need to press the pickle button over one second for the drop to register and be able to actually pass the mission.

All we need is just information to better allow the player to succeed. Other than that, your missions are absolutely brilliant.

Edited by Nooch

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

What Emuyen said. Maybe it's a subtle distinction but the mission is called Danger Close Tasking for a reason.

There is plenty of dialogue during the mission talking about Tactical Risk Assessment so you do need to consider where your weapon lands in relation to friendly forces. Each of the targets has friendlies close to the enemy units ("Danger Close") so a misplaced maverick, bomb or poor gun pass and you will hear the dreaded "Blue on Blue".

The mission only requires that the targets be eliminated without impacting the friendlies to pass.

You can use the practice mission to figure out what works best.

Thanks it make sense now, I was thinking I had to follow JTAC explicitly to activate triggers properly/advance the mission.

• 2 weeks later...

You don't need curves on your joystick. It's all about having the right visual references (and practice of course). Best advice I can give you: after contact has been made focus on keeping your position relative to the tanker and forget the boom.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Regarding tac13 target 2, I agree this aspect of the mission is straight up buggy. I checked the distance in tacview and its 65m. The roe states 100m for guns so the correct action would be to radio cantco. Im willing to bet the missing fails since the target survives. Its unrealistic to have a suicidal jtac.

However I do sympathize with mission designers as there is only so mich you can do woth scripts. Still loving ttq campaign!

Edited by Puma
Missed a quote

Custom Pit 476 Recruiting

i9-12900KF, 32 GB DDR5, Gigabyte Aorus Z690 Master, Gigabyte RTX 2080 Ti, 1TB Sabrent Roket 4+ 2x750GB RAID-0, TrackIR 5 /w clip, CRG9 49” Curved Ultrawide Flight Display+15" Touchscreen+17" Gauges display, Thrustmaster Warthog+7.5cm, Saitek Pro Combat Pedals, Streamdeck, Butt Kicker and pneumatic G-Seat

Forums Signature V4_500x100_20220716.png

Forums Signature V4_500x100_20221002.png

A good way to do it is to observe how your canopy frame is visually aligned with the tanker and try to keep the alignment. Here is what it should look like (although you don't need to have your view zoomed in that much):

C25F8101FBFD3F540956D32C0FC4B6CD612CCD82

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Final managed to finish this campaign. Thanks Sabre. It was a lot of fun (even after all those failures for leaving the MOA :) )

A very nice ending too. Glad I completed the last mission. I was failing so often I was thinking about leaving the campaign unfinished.

Congrats!

Yes we wanted the campaign to be hard enough that you feel you have earned the rating but not so hard that nobody would play it.

We find the practice missions to be a great refresher too when we get stale working on other aircraft.

Hopefully everything you learned will be applicable to all your future missions!

• 3 weeks later...
True but a little note in the briefing telling us not to trust the JTAC who might give deadly directions would have been nice to see. Please put yourself in the shoes of a player who purchased the mission and who doesn't know what the intents of the developers are.

For example when you have to release illumination flares (advanced training campaign), instead of stuffing the briefing with entire paragraphs of Air Force evaluation criteria, I would have liked to see something about the fact we need to press the pickle button over one second for the drop to register and be able to actually pass the mission.

All we need is just information to better allow the player to succeed. Other than that, your missions are absolutely brilliant.

Agree 10000% :clap_2: :clap_2: :clap_2: :clap_2:

Aorus Z390 Extreme MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.0 GHz | EVGA RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra | 32 GB G Skill Trident Z 3600 MHz CL14 DDR4 Ram | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler | Corsair TX 850M PS | Samsung 970 Evo Plus M.2 NVMe SSD 1TB |TMWH Hotas with VPC WarBRD Base| Corsair Gamer 570x Crystal Case | HP Reverb

We have heard you and have added Mission Success Criteria to each mission briefing making it clearer what needs to be done to accomplish each mission.

For the issues with AFT05 - Illumination Flare Employment - we reworked the triggers to make detection of the flare drop better. Please try it and let us know if you agree that the new changes are an improvement over the previous triggers.

• 2 months later...

Dunno if it will help anyone. I found recon stewarts videos very helpful but a dcs bug prevented him from completing the campign.

So, I recorded my Q- run at TTQ20 and posted it here:

i9-12900KF, 32 GB DDR5, Gigabyte Aorus Z690 Master, Gigabyte RTX 2080 Ti, 1TB Sabrent Roket 4+ 2x750GB RAID-0, TrackIR 5 /w clip, CRG9 49” Curved Ultrawide Flight Display+15" Touchscreen+17" Gauges display, Thrustmaster Warthog+7.5cm, Saitek Pro Combat Pedals, Streamdeck, Butt Kicker and pneumatic G-Seat

During the refueling the instructor says fly heading... then another heading is given. After a few min flying the heading instructed he says you are out of the area and you failed. If you deveat to fly the waypoints he says turn back to heading

Dont be too attached to what he says. Leaving moa is a fail always. Flight plan is priority. Some of the early missions do include criteria that your heading is specific, but thats likely inly the difference between q- and q so dont worry about it too much. Hit your waypoints and stick to the big picture (find the tanker and refuel) and dont sweat if his recordings dont match. Worst case post a track of your attempt.

• 2 months later...

Maybe a dumb question but does this campaign work with the recently released 2.5.2? The requirements on the DCS website say you have to have 1.5 installed, so I just wanted to check before purchasing that what worked in 1.5 now works in 2.5.2.