[Resolved] Confused and very frustrated with this plane

Zimmerdylan

I know that many of you feel I am beating a dead horse with my constant complaints about the Mustang's underpowered engine. That's OK. But last night I finally got my chance to see if it was me, or the P51.

And still, I'm not certain. It's friggin very annoying. I was in a server with another guy who had just purchased the P51. We both started from cold start, side by side. Both of us set our planes up exactly the same. We both took off from the same place and did the exact same maneuvers. I was out to see why I could not get this plane to 20000 ft. We started our climb up but the way we initially did our climbs was much different and it really blew me away. I set up my plane with 27-28 RPM, 50 lbs. manifold, @ a climb rate of 1500 FPM. He on the other hand, not knowing that the plane would (and always had as far as I knew) seize up after a sort time, went red line on both manifold, and rpm @ a climb rate of 3000 FPM. In the end, he got up to 20000 ft. in short order, while I stalled down to 100 MPH at 16500 feet. I had to give up. Neither of us made any other adjustments during the ascent.

Out of frustration, I dropped down to around 10000 feet, recovered my air speed to 250 mph and decided to start the climb again. Only this time I would max out everything as my companion had. And holy friggin cow, I could not get that plane to 20000 feet for the life of me no matter the settings.

What in the F*&^ am I not doing?????????? The P51 has so little power on my rig. It cannot be the DCS P51 because this is not the first time I've had people do this with me. And each time, they got up there and I did not. Each time we did everything the same. And this last time, the guy's engine was suppose to give in because he had it red lined for the whole flight.

ED: What gives???? I'm not understanding any of this. I hate this plane at this point. I know that I'm not doing anything wrong. Yet I have had power issues from the first day I have flown it. I fly every other WWII module by the book and they're all perfectly the way people say that their suppose to be. But the P51 has always stalled out, under performed, and been a royal pain in my a$$ from the beginning.

I know that others seem to be able to get this plane to do something, I'm not doing anything different than they are, yet my module on my rig has never performed as well as any other P51. It's annoying beyond words, and frustrating to the point where I'll just fly the thing into the ground every time I take off just because I hate flying it.

Is there anything at all that anyone can think of that would make this module itself not perform as well on any given rig? I cannot think of anything but maybe someone else can. I had my companion observe me last night, and I had everything set the exact way he had his, yet this plane was not performing but a fraction as well as his. It's mind blowing.

Gosh buddy, I can see you are frustrated. I want to help where I can. I hated the Mustang for a long time and I started just flying with no combat for a long time. I learned how to tweak the manifold pressure and RPMs to get max performance. I don't know how I can help now but maybe I can put some notes to together.

For me, and this is just me, I had to learn how to fly the airplane before I could move further and I am still a nugget. Hang in there, you will will excel. PM me anytime. Great avatar!!!!!!!

I experienced something similar to this, and noticed when i autostart I have the proper performance and when I manually start I have what you are describing. Perhaps try with an autostart ?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]1000 miles of road will take you around town, a 1000 feet of runway can take you around the world...unless your in a Huey, you can go anywhere with no runway in a Huey!

multiplayer name ''DustOff=3=6''

my 2 cents... I've found that with 50% fuel and 2 500lbs and six rockets, (really heavy) coolers fully open on takeoff, clear terrain, accelerate to appox. 225-250 kts set 2700 and 46in, let speed dictate climb rate(usually 1500- 2500fpm) keep speed above 200 set coolers to auto, watch temps, keep coolers as closed as possible. the boost will stay at 46in until about 12000 ft then stat to fall, at this point keep advancing throttle ,but don't advance throttle ahead of prop lever as a rule of thumb. add rpms if necessary to maintain 46-50in, till hi blower kicks in. then readjust trim and coolers. 10-12 min to 25000ft

We are Virtual Pilots, a growing International Squad of pilots, we fly Allies in WWII and Red Force in Korea and Modern combat. We are recruiting like minded people of all Nationalities and skill levels.

http://virtual-pilots.com/

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Andy has a point about MAP. Ian, You wrote about not making any adjustments, I hope You didn't forget to actually adjust throttle lever all the time, so that it doesn't drop below 46" required for max climb rate (not possible close to critical altitude for supercharger 1st speed, but You keep MAP as high as You can)?

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

Before I go into your guy's question: I am not new to the P51. I pre purchased it and have been flying it from day one. I know how to fly it, I know all of the procedures, gauges, and do everything according to the book. I also fly all of the WWII modules the same way and have no problems with any of them in this respect. It's a mystery. That being said:

hmmm, do you have enough headroom from the temps to push it more?

I do, but it doesn't matter. No matter how much power I try to pump into it, it just doesn't matter. The plane will inevitably lose it all in the climb. I have tried with everything maxed out, and with everything according to the manual. Both yield identical results.

A shot in the dark - did You flip the mixture to emergency rich instead of run by mistake?

No.....not the problem. wish it were tho.......thx.

I have a dumb question. Is your supercharger going into high? If not, you will start to drop in power around 10-11 thousand feet.

The supercharger really acts very strange at around 16000. I know the power will drop and I lose a lot of speed, but it's suppose to kick in around 15-17000, or somewhere like that. And it seems to because the plane jostles around and the engine seems to come to life. However, it's only temporary and the plane loses power immediately thereafter. I have actually tried kicking it in manually but it still doesn't work.

my 2 cents... I've found that with 50% fuel and 2 500lbs and six rockets, (really heavy) coolers fully open on takeoff, clear terrain, accelerate to appox. 225-250 kts set 2700 and 46in, let speed dictate climb rate(usually 1500- 2500fpm) keep speed above 200 set coolers to auto, watch temps, keep coolers as closed as possible. the boost will stay at 46in until about 12000 ft then stat to fall, at this point keep advancing throttle ,but don't advance throttle ahead of prop lever as a rule of thumb. add rpms if necessary to maintain 46-50in, till hi blower kicks in. then readjust trim and coolers. 10-12 min to 25000ft

Yes...and this should absolutely work. I have done exactly this countless times over the years I have owned this module but have yet to get it to 20000 feet. It's just crazy.........

I experienced something similar to this, and noticed when i autostart I have the proper performance and when I manually start I have what you are describing. Perhaps try with an autostart ?

You are in the ball park. I have definitely noticed that when I start the plane on the runway, I get up to 20000 with no issues. And when I auto start, I can get up there. But when I manually start.....it just doesn't get there. So something happens in the auto start procedure that's not happening when I manually start. And yes...I know I can just auto start but I have to solve this problem. I have gone through the routine over and over and over and am doing it correctly. I have gone into the tutorial and done the startup and still could not get up to 20000 after starting according to the tutorial itself. It may be a bug that affects certain people's planes when they manually start. Because I do everything to the letter of the book. It's driving me crazy........

Thanks for understanding my utter frustration guys. I have wanted to love this module from day one but only find frustration and disappointment in it. I own all but 3 modules and have no problems with any of their performance.

[ATTACH]154955[/ATTACH]heres a track I just made, the ambient temp is a little low, I forgot to change it back, that may affect outcome somewhat. I will make another at a higher amb temp.

please don't take what we say as criticism or lack of skills, we are just trying to help you enjoy the Pony.

We are Virtual Pilots, a growing International Squad of pilots, we fly Allies in WWII and Red Force in Korea and Modern combat. We are recruiting like minded people of all Nationalities and skill levels.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Yeah...I have tried to record tracks of my problem but as we all know....the tracks are pretty messed up. But...You are correct! I am doing something wrong.

"A shot in the dark - did You flip the mixture to emergency rich instead of run by mistake?"

After all this time!! What was happening was that I was left clicking on the mouse and not right clicking. Makes a big difference as the left click brings it all the way down to rich and the right brings it to run. You cannot really tell the difference of the position very easily because of where you are in relativity to it. So all of this time, this was the issue. I just tried two times and both times had more than enough power to get to 20000 and do aerobatics.

This just goes to show that there are no stupid questions and no wrong answers! Thanks to all of you for your suggestions and for putting up with my many posts about this problem. I am a very happy flier now.

Again....Thanks all!!!!

Probably for this..

Specs:

Asus Z97 PRO Gamer, i7 4790K@4.6GHz, 4x8GB Kingston @2400MHz 11-13-14-32, Titan X, Creative X-Fi, 128+2x250GB SSDs, VPC T50 Throttle + G940, MFG Crosswinds, TrackIR 5 w/ pro clip, JetSeat, Win10 Pro 64-bit, Oculus Rift, 27"@1920x1080

Settings:

2.1.x - Textures:High Terrain:High Civ.Traffic:Off Water:High VisRan:Low Heatblur:High Shadows:High Res:1920x1080 RoC:1024 MSAA:4x AF:16x HDR:OFF DefS: ON GCI: ON DoF:Off Lens: OFF C/G:390m Trees:1500m R:max Gamma: 1.5

sorry for going off topic, but when would you use the emergency rich mixture?

IDLE CUTOFF. The IDLE CUTOFF position is used when starting and stopping the engine. This position should be set after the engine is stopped to ensure that no fuel is allowed to enter the carburetor while the engine is not running. 

RUN. The RUN position is the standard operating setting for the engine and is normally used for takeoff, climb, landing, and combat.  FULL RICH. The

FULL RICH position is an emergency setting to be used only in case of carburetor failure to ensure a sufficient fuel supply to the engine.

From page 83 in the flight manual

• Like 1

JuSt climbed to 20,000 in burning skies. ONly issues I had was intermittent blower or turbocharger? It came on around 15k. Then occasionally turned off . Can someone enlighten me? Sure there are settings that force it on and off right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

at 20000 it should stay in hi unless it gets shifted to low, or decend below about 15000ft. maybe its mapped to a key used for something else?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]