Replacing MFG Crosswind by VKB-Sim T-Rudder Pedals Mk.IV

Hi all,

I have recently purchased the MFG Crosswind.

I'm very happy with the quality, accuracy, design and many possible customizations. On the other hand I am very sad with the unstability. When I remove one of my feet off the pedals, the whole device lifts off the ground. I know I should mount the rudder on a plate but I'm not a DIY guy. Not everybody is a cockpit builder. For the price, the rudder should come with a plate in my opinion. From the manufacturer point of view, a large baseplate would increase the price of the product. There are plans to make a plate available as an addon in the future... but not now... The second reason why I'm unhappy is more personal: I have a regular desk chair and I don't feel comfortable because the rudders are rather high for me...

So I'm thinking about reselling the MFG and get VKB-Sim T-Rudder Pedals Mk.IV instead. I fly mostly helis and I am aware that they dont have toe brake but virtual toe brake. That's OK for me. I think I should feel more confortable with a regular desk chair, with the heels on the floor.

However I'm wondering if I will feel comfortable with the spacing between the 2 pedals. How does the spacing compare to a CH Product rudder or MFG for example?

Thanks.

PS: purchasing on internet brings indeed many advantages. However for physical products like rudders or joysticks, it is a big disadvantage not being able to see and try the real thing.

Edited by Simicro

- Tony -

. My Reviews: Oilfield Campaign - Argo Campaign l My Mission: Huey Ramp Start Voice-Over New!

. Microsoft Force Feedback 2 base modded with a CH Fighterstick - VKB Sim T-Rudder Mk.IV Pedals

. Intel i5 4670K @4.3 GHz - 32 Gb DDR3 - MSI GTX 1080 - ASUS PG278QR 27" 2K @165 Hz G-Sync

I know what you are saying, I myself have no problem though putting my feet on and taking them off the Crosswinds, and I do not have them mounted. I am just careful about putting my feet on them.

Been flying with these since Dec 2015 and love them.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

I used heavy duty velcro on a bit of wood. Works brilliantly. Who lot cheaper than a new set of pedals.

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

https://courses.rogerdodger.net/courses/diy-center-joystick-frame

This is as easy as it gets. Anybody can build it.

i9 9900K @ 5.1Ghz - ASUS Maximus Hero XI - 32GB 4266 DDR4 RAM - ASUS RTX 2080Ti - 1 TB NVME - NZXT Kraken 62 Watercooling System - Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas (Virpil Base) - MFG Crosswind Pedals - Pimax 5K+

VFA-25 Fist Of The Fleet

When I remove one of my feet off the pedals, the whole device lifts off the ground. I know I should mount the rudder on a plate but I'm not a DIY guy. Not everybody is a cockpit builder. For the price, the rudder should come with a plate in my opinion

MFG say that a plate will make the rudder more expensive as well the shipping cost (more weight, more size) and need be very heavy to make rudder stay on place.

VKB T-Rudder don't have this sliding/tilt issue, you press then up to down, not back and forth, working only your heel/foot tip and not using legs/hips like in conventional pedals.

They are like heli pedals and are less width than CH pedals, their dimensions:

http://ftp.vkb-sim.pro/Documentations/VKB-Sim_T-RdrMkIV_drw.PDF

My foots are spaced ~17cm/7 inches over then, is OK for me, but I a slim person.

Sit with foot with this separation and you can image how comfortable or not this will be.

I would keep these good pedals, you spent all those $ on great pedals, Milan was keeping the weight down for shipping etc, most of the guys who buy these high end pedals would mount them properly so they dont move or have a rig.

Bolt them down to something Simicro, it should only cost a few bucks.

full-35288-57892-imag0090.jpg

nfNg8tx.jpg

Edited by David OC

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

I would keep these good pedals, you spent all those $ on great pedals, Milan was keeping the weight down for shipping etc, most of the guys who buy these high end pedals would mount them properly so they dont move or have a rig.

Bolt them down to something Simicro, it should only cost a few bucks.

full-35288-57892-imag0090.jpg

nfNg8tx.jpg

great idea, I might do something like this for mine. :thumbup:

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

I have the VKB-Sim T-Rudder Pedals Mk.IV and really like them,very smooth and accurate. They are very compact and solid and quiet.

They look like they may feel like a gas pedal would but they don't, you still have that rudder pedal feel. You push down on one pedal and the other comes up and I find that the motion of using my ankle joint rather than my knee and leg much more comfortable flying from an office chair like I do.

The spacing is good as well. i also didn't want my feet in a cradle foot pad like the other set's, for me I like my heel on the floor.

i7-9700K @ 5.0 l MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Plus MB l 32GB DDR4 2400 Ram l Sabrent Rocket Q 1TB M.2 l EVGA 3080 FTW l Win10 Pro l WarBRD/Warthog Hotas l VKB MkIV rudder Pedals l Reverb G2

I own the VKB pedals (the generation before the current ones which are a bit improved, I bought them last year, last pair in North America they were before Jason left them). I also own a pair of the Slaw BG109K, and a pair of MSG Xwind. CH and Saitek combat pedals too, but they don't count, haha.

Anyhow, I hear what the OP is saying about the MFGs, yes you could mount them to the floor in some way, but if you don't want to bother, switching to the VKB is fine IMO.

The VKB pedals are all metal, very, VERY tough construction. You can also modify their width, as well as the angles of the arms, plus you can mess with the pedals themselves, adjusting their throw. There is also a VERY grippy rubber base on the bottoms of the pedals, which grab my floor and carpet like cat claws. Sounds perfect for you.

I find they are the most precise rudder pedals out there, like the VERY old CH Pedals of yore, they function the same way, your ankle does the work, and the ankle is far more of a precise motor skill than your entire shin/leg which push the MFG/other pedals more, more of a gross motor skill.

VKB also happen to be the least expensive custom option out there. They are fairly heavy, but again, just helps keep em planted well.

Systems

Virpil T50x2,T50CM2x2,Warbrd x2, VFX/Delta/CM2/Alpha/Tm Hornet sticks, VKB GF3, Tm Warthog(many), Modded Cougar, VKB Pedals/MFG Pedals/Slaw Viper RX+109Cam Pedals/Virpil T50+T50CM Throttle/CH Fightersticks/CH Throttles/CH peds, Index x1, Reverb x1

I would mount them as well. Although you do get used to mounting and dismounting the rudder with both feets. I too mounted them on a board. While you said you're not a DIY guy, I don't know if getting a board and screwing four screws counts as DIY project. It's fairly simple and takes no time at all.

In terms of quality, I'm sure all three custom rudder guys (brd, slaw, milan) make quality rudders. I've yet to hear anything bad about any of them, nor their work.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

I have the T-rudder MKIII, and also Baur F3 - the VKB is a really nice, relatively inexpensive option, quality is excellent, and the accuracy is about as good as it gets, I'd say. The motion is very smooth, and I can make very fine adjustments. It's also about as good as it gets for an office chair style set up. I bought the Baur for a simpit set up, and the VKB for my other rig (office chair). they really are not competing products, in my eyes, as they perform the same task, but with a different application.

I'd certainly by them again.

Z...

@hansangb, please explain it to me : if I mount the MFG pedals on a plate, with screws, does this help with the issue when removing the feet off the pedal?

Thank you

I9 12900k@ 5 GHz | 32 GB DDR4 | Asus ROG  Strix Z690-A Gaming Wifi d4| RTX 3090 | 6 TB SSD + 8 TB HDD | 4K Samsung Q90R 55" | VKB MK III PRO L | Virpil Throttle MONGOOST-50 | MFG Crosswind | TrackIR5

Hi all,

I have recently purchased the MFG Crosswind.

... So I'm thinking about reselling the MFG and get VKB-Sim T-Rudder Pedals Mk.IV instead. ...

PS: purchasing on internet brings indeed many advantages. However for physical products like rudders or joysticks, it is a big disadvantage not being able to see and try the real thing.

As Croatia is part of the EU returning the product for a full refund should be no problem. Shoot Milan an email telling him you would like to return the pedals and ask how. I'm certain he will be most helpful (as always).

Windows 10 64bit, Intel i9-9900@5Ghz, 32 Gig RAM, MSI RTX 3080 TI, 2 TB SSD, 43" 2160p@1440p monitor.

Also fwiw,

Milan stated a few months ago he is still planning on finalizing the combat style pedals by the end of this year. And they will be able to be retro-fitted on the current pedal design ( which is why the front of the base is narrow).

Of course he stays pretty busy and backlogged on the Crosswinds so I am sure dates are very subject to change.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

... if I mount the MFG pedals on a plate, with screws, does this help with the issue when removing the feet off the pedal?

If you mount the Crosswind like the picture (from the topic Crosswind Review), you can remove one foot that pedal will don't tilt, and will don't move when you push one pedal because the wood plate is set against the wall.

https://forums.eagle.ru/attachment.php?attachmentid=169951&d=1506606047

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3254652&postcount=926

Get a wooden plate with the same width of pedal, a shop can cut and drill with the correct size.

Hi all,

Many many thanks to everybody for your overwhelming participation to this thread.

I appreciate very much and learnt a few things :thumbup:

- Tony -

. My Reviews: Oilfield Campaign - Argo Campaign l My Mission: Huey Ramp Start Voice-Over New!

. Microsoft Force Feedback 2 base modded with a CH Fighterstick - VKB Sim T-Rudder Mk.IV Pedals

. Intel i5 4670K @4.3 GHz - 32 Gb DDR3 - MSI GTX 1080 - ASUS PG278QR 27" 2K @165 Hz G-Sync

I too have the same problem, so I have to buy a heavy piece of wood and probably have it angled to offset the inherent brake pedal angle (toe brake). then bolt it to the wood and probably fix the wood to the floor.

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

Okay guys, i will try it, thank you

One more question, please : you think it's worth to order the Cam 5 ?

I'm using right now the cam 4

Thanks, again

I9 12900k@ 5 GHz | 32 GB DDR4 | Asus ROG  Strix Z690-A Gaming Wifi d4| RTX 3090 | 6 TB SSD + 8 TB HDD | 4K Samsung Q90R 55" | VKB MK III PRO L | Virpil Throttle MONGOOST-50 | MFG Crosswind | TrackIR5

My T-Rudder is MK.III... ops Mk.II - slight different from linked drawings. This 17 cm between foots - measured on toes, is with the pedal set with the maximum comfortable width.

What is adjustable is the foot pad (heel) separation, I could increase this pad separation around 3,5/4cm, but then need put the foots angled, with toes more close than heel - uncomfortable, or find a way tho increase the length of "T" bars, this part width is not adjustable.

Edited by Sokol1_br

It's so easy and cheap to make the MFG pedals sit firmly on the floor without drilling holes in your floor!

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3254652&postcount=926

LeCuvier

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5

Merci LeCuvier.

I saw your post before ;) Thanks anyway.

In short, stability was not my only problem with the MFG. Second problem is I do not feel comfortable using them from a regular desk chair.

I now have switched to VKB Mk IV and I'm happy :)

- Tony -