Landing Light Pointing

mytai01

The landing light is aimed to the left of center. Please address the issue soon.

MS Win7 Pro x64, Intel i7-6700K 4.0Ghz, Corsair RAM 16Gb,EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW GAMING ACX 3.0, w/ Adjustable RGB LED Graphics Card 08G-P4-6286-KR, Creative Labs SB X-FI Titanium Fatal1ty Champ PCIe Sound Card, Corsair Neutron XTI 1TB SSD, TM Warthog Throttle & Stick, TM TPR Pedels, Oculus Rift VR Headset CV1, Klipsch Promedia 4.1 Speakers...

this updated model which was fixed a few months ago is correct.

Interesting! Why would they point the light away from the runway? What's the designer's rationale? It seems useless to have it that way.

MS Win7 Pro x64, Intel i7-6700K 4.0Ghz, Corsair RAM 16Gb,EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW GAMING ACX 3.0, w/ Adjustable RGB LED Graphics Card 08G-P4-6286-KR, Creative Labs SB X-FI Titanium Fatal1ty Champ PCIe Sound Card, Corsair Neutron XTI 1TB SSD, TM Warthog Throttle & Stick, TM TPR Pedels, Oculus Rift VR Headset CV1, Klipsch Promedia 4.1 Speakers...

isn't that correct? mig-15 for example also has its landing light biased to the left, because looking out the left side of the windscreen is the landing technique.

I think it has to do more with nosewheel indicator barber pole thing on the left side than actual landing but I could be wrong.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

All I know is that when the Su-27 is lined for a straight in approach, the landing light shines on the grass instead of the runway. Again, why? Nevermind the herd of cattle on the runway. Nothing to see!

All I know is that when the Su-27 is lined for a straight in approach, the landing light shines on the grass instead of the runway. Again, why? Nevermind the herd of cattle on the runway. Nothing to see!

The Devs would be more inclined to pay attention to you had you posted a screenshot detailing the issue/misalignment.

Now it's just a he said/she said scenario.

I'll have a look in the morning as well and post a screenshot if I can corroborate your circumstances.

Novice or Veteran looking for an alternative MP career?

Click me to commence your Journey of Pillage and Plunder!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

'....And when I get to Heaven, to St Peter I will tell....

One more Soldier reporting Sir, I've served my time in Hell......'

The Devs would be more inclined to pay attention to you had you posted a screenshot detailing the issue/misalignment.

Now it's just a he said/she said scenario.

I'll have a look in the morning as well and post a screenshot if I can corroborate your circumstances.

(Original post edited out)

EDIT: Here are the videos. Both videos are from the same track, the first is in-cockpit, the second is external. The landings are at the "Kutaisi Monument Memorial Airport" (my name for it) which has no night lighting. My assumption is that "Landing Lights: Far" are the actual landing lights, while Landing Lights: Near are the taxi lights:

BTW, the landings were made with the normal 10° landing AoA in mind.

You know what? At first I thought the skew to the left was incorrect. But the more I watch these, the more I'm inclined to agree with Probad. The landing lights illuminate the ground you can easily see out the left side giving you an increased sense of depth and distance to the ground rather than the runway directly ahead that you really can't see all that well, anyway, when configured for landing at 10° AoA. This might very well be a design "feature" as opposed to a mistake.

Edited by Ironhand
  • Like 1

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU1...CR6IZ7crfdZxDg

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.

Ah those Russians and their crazy ideas. Clearly their pilots can't fly straight with all the vodka they drink to keep warm in the winter so they thought ahead and pointed the lights crooked too.

Or maybe it's because they use ex-circus midgets that can't see over the dash so they have to look out the side.

If that is true to the real aircraft, that's one heck of a slip to fly down to the runway. It's not the same aircraft but I'm not sure the SU-25 even has enough rudder authority to do that. What do they do if the wind is coming from the left? Is there a permanent right crosswind in Russia?

System specs: i7 3820 @4.75Ghz, Asus P9X79LE, EVGA GTX1080SC @2100mhz, 16GB Gskil DDR3 @ 2000mhz, 512GB 960EVO m.2, 2 X 512GB 860EVO SATA3 in RAID0, EVGA Supernova 850W G2, Phantek Entho Luxe White. CPU and GPU custom water-cooled with 420mm rad and lots of Noctua fans.

ASUS PG348Q. VKB Gladiator Pro w/MCG, X-55 throttle and MFG Crosswind.

You know what? At first I thought the skew to the left was incorrect. But the more I watch these, the more I'm inclined to agree with Probad.

Agreed.

Might just be the off-set angle that is a wee bit extreme In-SIM.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Ah those Russians and their crazy ideas. Clearly their pilots can't fly straight with all the vodka they drink to keep warm in the winter so they thought ahead and pointed the lights crooked too.

Or maybe it's because they use ex-circus midgets that can't see over the dash so they have to look out the side.

If that is true to the real aircraft, that's one heck of a slip to fly down to the runway. It's not the same aircraft but I'm not sure the SU-25 even has enough rudder authority to do that. What do they do if the wind is coming from the left? Is there a permanent right crosswind in Russia?

no they don't permacrab into the runway, when i said sight the runway out of the left pane i mean leaning your body/head to the left to look 'around' the nose because downward visibility is better out of the side panes (especially for aircraft predating the su-27).

Edited by probad

The landing light is aimed to the left of center. Please address the issue soon.

OK, had a look at this and have to agree with Ironhand in that I am of the opinion that 'Landing Light Far' is the actual light to be utilized for landing. If that is indeed the case then no, there is nothing wrong with it - it points straight forward.

'Landing Light Near' is presumably the taxi lights.

Now another question: Why would the 'Landing Light Near' require two 'largish' bulbs to provide little to no illumination on the ground at all while the 'Landing Light Far' with it's relatively 'smallish' bulb lights up the environment like a Christmas tree?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

what? landing light far are the two bulbs aimed downwards and to the left

because they're aimed at a downwards angle and are focused spotlights they obviously won't light things up as far ahead when on the ground because they intersect the ground plane sooner.

by the sound of it you havent tried using them when on approach as they will noticeably light the ground up at a farther distance than the taxi lights

OK, had a look at this and have to agree with Ironhand in that I am of the opinion that 'Landing Light Far' is the actual light to be utilized for landing. If that is indeed the case then no, there is nothing wrong with it - it points straight forward.

'Landing Light Near' is presumably the taxi lights.

Now another question: Why would the 'Landing Light Near' require two 'largish' bulbs to provide little to no illumination on the ground at all while the 'Landing Light Far' with it's relatively 'smallish' bulb lights up the environment like a Christmas tree?

Assuming that the toggled sequence listed in the Controls section is the actual sequence, landing lights (far) are the twin lights that are much brighter and light the ground off to the side and out to a greater distance. Landing lights (near) is the single bulb angled more downward and illuminating straight ahead.

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.

the nosewheel barberpole is placed on the left for convenience because you're supposed to sight the runway out of the left pane

airplane designs are tailored to doctrine and procedure, not the other way around

I stand corrected then thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

Assuming that the toggled sequence listed in the Controls section is the actual sequence, landing lights (far) are the twin lights that are much brighter and light the ground off to the side and out to a greater distance. Landing lights (near) is the single bulb angled more downward and illuminating straight ahead.

Yeah I thought so too but the external view seems to differ, unless I woke up cross-eyed this morning lol. I'll check again. Also, the diagram as linked by the Dev illustrates that the two large bulbs are the ones offset to the left.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Here we go:

Two bulbs, offset to left:

P7tEqm9.jpg

One bulb, aligned to centre:

U3mQjSU.jpg

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

After watching Ironhand's videos i searched for "SU-27 night landing". This was the first and best i could find, maybe this helps? No "clear" shot of the landing lights though.

Modules: KA-50, A-10C, FC3, UH-1H, MI-8MTV2, CA, MIG-21bis, FW-190D9, Bf-109K4, F-86F, MIG-15bis, M-2000C, SA342 Gazelle, AJS-37 Viggen, F/A-18C, F-14, C-101, FW-190A8, F-16C, F-5E, JF-17, SC, Mi-24P Hind, AH-64D Apache, Mirage F1, F-4E Phantom II

System: Win 11 Pro 64bit, Ryzen 3800X, 32gb RAM DDR4-3200, PowerColor Radeon RX 6900XT Red Devil ,1 x Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe, 2 x Samsung SSD 2TB + 1TB SATA, MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - VIRPIL T-50CM and VIRPIL MongoosT-50 Throttle - HP Reverg G2, using only the latest Open Beta, DCS settings

Here we go:

Two bulbs, offset to left:

P7tEqm9.jpg

One bulb, aligned to centre:

U3mQjSU.jpg

Isn't that interesting? While in the air, the twin bulbs cast a far brighter and wider light than your little puddle of a light sitting on the ground would suggest. View the "external" video (if you haven't already). "Far" is first followed by "Near". You get far greater coverage with "Far" than your image suggests.

_____

View the "external" video (if you haven't already). "Far" is first followed by "Near". You get far greater coverage with "Far" than your image suggests.

Yeah had a look but obviously misread :)

I'm of the opinion that 'Near' as detailed in your vids would be the more appropriate light to use for landing merely due to the fact that it casts a brighter light on the most important piece of real-estate that you need to bother about, ie the runway straight ahead, especially in circumstances where you have zero runway illumination - all good and fine seeing what is going on next to you but pretty useless in the dead of night during landing when that's obviously not your intended direction of travel :megalol:

But hey, stranger things have happened.

Edited by 159th_Viper

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

After watching Ironhand's videos i searched for "SU-27 night landing". This was the first and best i could find, maybe this helps? No "clear" shot of the landing lights though.

Definitely shows that the twin lights angle off to the left, though it seems to be a bit less extreme than what we see in the sim. But it's hard to tell.

Here's one from the pit. Unfortunately the resolution sucks. But it definitely seems to only illuminate the ground to the left of the aircraft. As they land, there's no hint of that light to the right side:

[EDIT: Thank you, Unknown, for solving my problem.:EDIT ENDS]

I'm of the opinion that 'Near' as detailed in your vids would be the more appropriate light to use for landing merely due to the fact that it casts a brighter light on the most important piece of real-estate that you need to bother about, ie the runway straight ahead, especially in circumstances where you have zero runway illumination - all good and fine seeing what is going on next to you but pretty useless in the dead of night during landing when that's obviously not your intended direction of travel :megalol:

But hey, stranger things have happened.

That one vid I found shows the light to the left. Of course, what you can't tell from it is what you see straight ahead. BTW, Unknown's video actually shows all three lit at the same time...something we do not have available to us. I wonder if that's the real issue.

Edited by Ironhand

_____

BTW, Unknown's video actually shows all three lit at the same time...something we do not have available to us. I wonder if that's the real issue.

Yeah, I'm thinking that there is something amiss. Interesting to note also is that on the Russian Knights rollout in your vid you can see the illumination to the right (9min31sec) as well.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Yeah, I'm thinking that there is something amiss. Interesting to note also is that on the Russian Knights rollout in your vid you can see the illumination to the right (9min31sec) as well.

I missed the transition! Thanks for pointing it out. At 9:22 the landing light is extinguished and what remains illuminating is the taxi light. That's what you're seeing illuminating the ground equally on both sides of the aircraft from that point on.

_____

I missed the transition! Thanks for pointing it out. At 9:22 the landing light is extinguished and what remains illuminating is the taxi light. That's what you're seeing illuminating the ground equally on both sides of the aircraft from that point on.

Aye, the transition occurs 5 seconds after touchdown. That's what we are missing it seems - I would assume that it's an automatic transition to one-bulb illumination from two-bulb illumination as opposed to a pilot toggle.

Then again, you know what they say about ass-u-ming.

Also still does not explain the three-bulb illumination during taxi of the other vid....

Edited by 159th_Viper

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]