DCS World copy paste from old ssd to new ssd

mibo

Hi,

Sorry have looked at forums and on internet and have not found a detailed list of procedures.

Have installed new ssd and wanted to copy and past dcs World from the old ssd (drive F) to the new one). I did the following:

1. Copy and Paste the game from F and installed it to E

2.Opened game folder and looked for the exe file (created a shortcut to put on Desktop. (Path is E).

3.Uninstalled, deleted the old drive F game.

Have not changed Registry but looked at Regedit (HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World) there the path shows the old drive:(F:\Program Files\Eaggle Dynamics\DCS World. But Version REG_SZ 1.5. (Have version 2.5.5.32864

The game page opens but does not load any game. Modules are installed but not active. The page then disappears.

When I want to Repair the Game it says:

The item `DCS_updater.exe` that this shortcut refers to has been changed or moved. So this shortcut will no longer work properly.

Do you want to delete this shortcut?

PLEASE HELP AND SOMEONE ON THE FORUM GIVE ME STEP BY STEP THE NEXT POINTS i HAVE TO DO as I do not find a clear solution on the Forum or Internet, but I understood that copy and paste is working and avoids installing the game completely.

Thank you very much

When you installed the new SSD drive, did you kept Windows intact? Or you have installed windows again after the SSD install ?

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

When you installed the new SSD drive, did you kept Windows intact? Or you have installed windows again after the SSD install ?

Yes window is intact on the F drive. The F drive has a partition one for window 10 and the second for

Dcs world. The second part has been copied and pasted to the new ssd E. The second partition has then been deleted.

Since you deleted the old game's drive, you can ( and should ) label the new SSD with the same drive letter as the former game partition used. That will eliminate all needs to change anything.

Keep it simple

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

Thanks to all. Cannot change the letter to F. The old sad had two partitions: the first ©for the OS window 10. The second (F) for DCS. I deleted the files on F but somehow there are about 9Gb left when I look Disk Management. Cannot detete F letter as somehow the system protects it. It is grayed out. Any help or suggestions?

Thanks to all. Cannot change the letter to F. The old sad had two partitions: the first ©for the OS window 10. The second (F) for DCS. I deleted the files on F but somehow there are about 9Gb left when I look Disk Management. Cannot detete F letter as somehow the system protects it. It is grayed out. Any help or suggestions?

You illustrate why disk partitions are generally not a good idea . To remove that "F" , you have to format the drive , which will wipe everything on it .

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

Use carefully the disk management to really delete second partition currently labeled "F:", if no more files needed on it

command line: diskmgmt.msc

You not deleted that partition if "F:" label has 9GB free space and DCS old installation in recycle bin.

Then you can set new ssd label to "F:", and all the icon and registry shortcuts will work.

Then you can create new partition to the old SSDs free space.

GTX 1070 8GB, 16GB DDR3, W8.1 on SSD, DCS on another SSD

Dcs worl copy/paste from old ssd to new ssd

Ok, still no solution. Could wipe out F from old ssd and the remaining 9 Gb; It had a page file. I removed page file and then I could cancel the second partition. It is now named unallocated. Cannot extend the first partition (window 10 OS) as it created by itself a space on the right. Therefore I cannot use the unallocated space for window. I RECOMMEND NOT TO PARTITION DRIVES WHERE THE OS IS !

Game is still not working it does not search for updates and now does not even open. Dos support has given me a list of 11 points to go through. I will try them next weekend. I have even tried to reinstall the game on an other new M2 sad but after installing for 4 seconds it gives me 3 different warnings: 1. Unable to open data base. 2. C\User\Michael:(2) The system cannot find the file specified. 3. Dcs updates 2.9.4.76 "can't create directory L:\Temp\window 10\TMP\DCS:(3) the system cannot find the path specified.... No idea what the L path is....

It is worst than the problems Flight Simulator X had.!

Dcs told me to go through all 11 points and if it does not work to reinstall everything related to DCS and make a fresh install. 120Gb.!!! I think I give up, bad internet and only about 12 h of electric energy where I live, (Dominican Republic) (I am Swiss citizen, retired ex mil. Pilot of the milice airforce).

Thanks to all for your replies and never partition an ssd, just fly...and fly...

Why all the partitions? Never done it. Even on standalone drives....What for? For a large company network / perhaps.

I've done this every PC build not a problem.

No need to make this difficult.

I have dcs backed up on an external drive.

Build new pc or install new drive.

Copy DCS to C: D: F: G: whatever you want.

Copy links (Right click (Send to ---> desktop Create shortcut)) from the bin folder.

DCS.exe or and DCS_Updater.exe

These are the new links to run the game now.

DCS.exe will launch game and not look for updates using this link.

Also backup and copy back the save games folder (Control configs)

C:\Users\Username\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta

You can have as many installs as you like(Copy and paste) anywhere you like as long as you have the room. EACH install will launch from it's own BIN folder links.

you can change any of these installs to any version of DCS using the windows command prompt

or with SkateZilla's tool

Edited by David OC

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

mibo,

make a screenshot of your Partition Layout.

One can get lost there easily

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

Why all the partitions? Never done it. Even on standalone drives....What for? For a large company network / perhaps.

I've done this every PC build not a problem.

No need to make this difficult.

I have dcs backed up on an external drive.

Build new pc or install new drive.

Copy DCS to C: D: F: G: whatever you want.

Copy links (Right click (Send to ---> desktop Create shortcut)) from the bin folder.

DCS.exe or and DCS_Updater.exe

These are the new links to run the game now.

DCS.exe will launch game and not look for updates using this link.

Also backup and copy back the save games folder (Control configs)

C:\Users\Username\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta

You can have as many installs as you like(Copy and paste) anywhere you like as long as you have the room. EACH install will launch from it's own BIN folder links.

you can change any of these installs to any version of DCS using the windows command prompt

or with SkateZilla's tool

What you say is true. I partitioned a 500 Gb ssd because I wanted at that time the OS and DCS on the same ssd.

Now I need more space for OS and especially DCS. I followed what you say above but it did not work for me.

The strangest of all that dcs can't install as it always says:

Can't create directory L:\Temp\Windows 10\TMP\DCS: (3).

. I have no L drive. Time ago it was a DVD lector. But it is disconnected. No one knows how to fix it not even DCS Support. As I said I cannot even install from scratch on my other M2 ssd as explained. So probably I have not only to install DCS that is not 120 Gb as said but over 150 and also window 10. Too much work and no guarantee...

Something you can try.

Rename the DCSWorld folder and the Saved Games folder to preserve them. Set aside any shortcuts.

Download the installer and run it. Let it run until it starts downloading the bulk of the files, then cancel it.

Copy your old files onto the new folder structures the installer created.

Run repair.