New F14B Pilot

thej3w

Still learning the plane, wondering wheres all the online action at? A few servers showing up but apart from the test/training server game seems dead - yet steam reports 20k+ players? Looking to join highly active clan, prefer long missions, VR pilot, UK active hours 6ish to midnight most nights.

:)

i9 9900K @ 5.2Ghz - Corsair H115i : Coolermaster C700P : Asrock Z370 Extreme4 : EVGA RTX 2080ti FTW3 ULTRA : 1000W Silverstone PSU : 2 x 24" Full HD Monitors : 32gig HyperX Fury 3200mhz DDR4 : 80+TB Sata3 HDD Space : 960Gb

Corsair MP510 M.2 OS Drive : 1TB Samsung M.2 Game drive : X52pro Joystick : Oculus Rift CV1 : Logitech G25 wheel : ROCCAT Headset : G502 : MS Natural 4000 Keyboard : Windows 10 Pro

I would guess you are on the stable and not on the open beta...

Yeh, im version 2.5 - not the beta. Are most playing the beta? Should i install that too?

i9 9900K @ 5.2Ghz - Corsair H115i : Coolermaster C700P : Asrock Z370 Extreme4 : EVGA RTX 2080ti FTW3 ULTRA : 1000W Silverstone PSU : 2 x 24" Full HD Monitors : 32gig HyperX Fury 3200mhz DDR4 : 80+TB Sata3 HDD Space : 960Gb

Corsair MP510 M.2 OS Drive : 1TB Samsung M.2 Game drive : X52pro Joystick : Oculus Rift CV1 : Logitech G25 wheel : ROCCAT Headset : G502 : MS Natural 4000 Keyboard : Windows 10 Pro

Yeah open beta is where 99% of the action is at.

20k+ players sounds like how many individual accounts might be active any given month.

Typically you have the top 5-6 servers with 10-55 players (big range for weekend evenings Vs Monday mornings).

If you're new to the F14 and/or DCS, you'll find a handful of really good servers with a Coop / player v AI style missions. I'd start on areobatic server just to become familiar with how multiplayer works in DCS, practice some flying, formation, air refueling, carrier landings, all without any weapons.

Next move to your coop style, I'll list my favourite, and most popular as well. Some have targets in the Same areas for training (havoc's and Kirk's both deserve mentions here). Kirk's especially for SAMs and is perhaps "level 2” after havoc's, who has neatly grouped some easy/medium/harder areas of bombing targets.

Then you have the "base capture" style and more dynamic type (a good "level3" once you have the basics in weapons delivery down).. the German areobatic server hosting dynamic warfare mission (they still call the server areobatic).

The you have hoggit servers that cover the above, which requires password if you check their community/rules etc.

Those are definitely good starting points (all feature A2A & A2G).

After that, definitely go PvP if that's your goal. I wouldn't jump in before you can take out the easy AI and know your aircraft/weapons reasonably well, or it might be frustrating.

This would also be the time to begin looking for a clan you might wish to join. Some clans do regular YouTube videos, others don't, certainly give a few of those videos a watch, to see if any match your style (all fall somewhere in the have-a-laugh, serious, and silly triangle... And you can often have evenings where different clans open up for a few hours, either to the public or by invite, for fun out for trials etc, again others will accept anyone with a pulse).

Finally, great to have another F14 in the sky with us, and most importantly have fun.

. . . . . . .

Every module/ map except the dual winged joke.

• 2 weeks later...

WOW, I need 91GB free to install the open beta??

Asus Z790-PLUS D4, Corsair 1000X PS / Intel i9-13900KF @5.8Gz - Corsair H150i Liquid CPU cooler, 64GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 @3192mhz / 2TB M.2 NvMe Boot Drive (DCS World Beta installed here), 1TB M.2 Data drive, 1TB WD SATA drive, Zotac Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 Trinity 24GB - Nvidia 552.12 driver / 3 Samsung LC32G53TQWUXEN 32" 7680x1440 at 144Hz  / Win11 Pro Ver.  23H2 - Build 22631.3447 TIR 5, TM Warthog HOTAS\VirPil stick base, MFG V3 Crosswind Pedals, TM MFDs  on 2 8" Lilliputs/ Simgears ICP / Varjo Aero VR

Nope, go to your installation folder and open a command prompt in the bin folder and type in DCS_updater.exe update @openbeta This will just change your installation to the beta install with the latest patches. You can toggle back if you decide you don't want to use beta by doing the same thing but changing it to @release.

Pretty sure most of this guide is still applicable.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=114030

Edited by 75th-VFS-Striker

Nvidia GTX-1080

Intel i7-4820K 3.7 Ghz

ASUS ROG Rampage IV Extreme MB

32 GB Memory

Windows 7 Pro 64 Bit

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]