EE Lightning: Why we need it!

Hummingbird

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My most amazing memory of aviation was at Salmsbury airfield in Lancashire. I was at a families day as a child in the 80's. I was stood with my uncle on the tarmac at one end of the runway as a Lightning took off and went vertical with full afterburner above my head. It was the most incredible sight and that was it i was hooked. I'd buy this in a heartbeat.

A lot of people underestimate how vital this could be as a base interceptor in our game against targets, especially high speed/alt targets. Could get this out to 50 nm quickly in a couple of minutes at angels 30, the climb rate is quite fascinating.

BEAST of an airframe, garbage avionics lol

Lucas electronics eh? They never did figure out how to keep the magic smoke in...'

Did they use Lucas fuses?

fusereplacement.jpg

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

A lot of people underestimate how vital this could be as a base interceptor in our game against targets, especially high speed/alt targets. Could get this out to 50 nm quickly in a couple of minutes at angels 30, the climb rate is quite fascinating.

As long as you had a tanker waiting for you at angels 30

:megalol:

The lightning wasn't known for her long legs, even with one engine in idle it still didn't fly very far, and the over-wing tanks reduced her mach number to 0.93 as the aircraft ran out of control authority above that speed. There are a few tales of Lightnings being ferried to/from overseas and they had to get the tankers to slow down as the Lightnings could not keep up.

Yes a most interesting aircraft :)

Still, it is my favourite aircraft closely followed by the F-14.

Even for my small frame the cockpit is quite small and cramped, there is a height limit for pilots based on the length of the femur, if it is too long you would leave your knees in the cockpit if you had to eject, as they would get hung up on the combing around the windscreen.

Sons of Dogs, Come Eat Flesh

Clan Cameron

Yeah I've always thought it was a very interesting aircraft. But for DCS, I'd rather see planes that had more users and are more multi-role from the era first. Mirage 3 for example.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Yeah with that range it would fit just fine into most servers.

Imagine a server with this line up:

Blufor:

EE Lightning F.6

F-5E Tiger

F-8J Crusader

F-4E Phantom

Redfor:

MiG-21Bis

MiG-19P

MiG-23MLA

Man that would be glorius!

That it would be.

Just reading the stats posted by an ex-lightning pilot, his longest sortie was 8hrs 30 mins so with a bit of refuelling it can stay up there :)

Today, 45 years ago was his last flight in the Lightning, and he had amassed 1023hrs 55 min flying them, from reading his log book his last flight he intercepted a Beechcraft Type 18 on a scramble.

Clan Cameron

Of course, if Heatblur are going to make a Saab J35 Draken then there is some hope as the Draken used the same licence built Avon engine the RM6 and the RM6c is a slightly uprated Avon with 17,600lbf thrust about the same as the later Avon 302 that was fitted to some of the Lighnings.

So it could share some of that work :)

There is some hope ;)

Clan Cameron

We need the Lightning - or better still the Jag or the Bucc, there isn't a single RAF aircraft in DCS at the moment.

You'd think that the RAF deserved a bit more attention really, but I expect that the trend for Tom Clancy planes with MFD's, FBW and targeting pods is going to continue.

I mean who wants to learn how to deliver a low level pop up attack with only a depressed gunsight or CCIP when they can just punch a few buttons and spam a JSOW from 70nm ?

---------------------------------------------------------

PC specs:- Intel 386DX, 2mb memory, onboard graphics, 14" 640x480 monitor

Modules owned:- Bachem Natter, Cessna 150, Project Pluto, Sopwith Snipe

Except for the best known RAF aircraft of all time? https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/products/planes/spitfire/

I have so little interest in prop aircraft I forgot about the WW2 planes completely :D

---------------------------------------------------------

PC specs:- Intel 386DX, 2mb memory, onboard graphics, 14" 640x480 monitor

Modules owned:- Bachem Natter, Cessna 150, Project Pluto, Sopwith Snipe

Because we don't have enogh ugly planes in dcs.. But wait.. we already have bunch of

FC3 | UH-1 | Mi-8 | A-10C II | F/A-18 | Ka-50 III | F-14 | F-16 | AH-64 Mi-24 | F-5 | F-15E| F-4| Tornado

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Syria | NS-430 | Supercarrier // Wishlist: CH-53 | UH-60

Youtube

MS FFB2 - TM Warthog - CH Pro Pedals - Trackir 5

Because we don't have enogh ugly planes in dcs.. But wait.. we already have bunch of

Wash your mouth out! ;)

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder :)

Who could say no to the first aircraft in the world to be able to supercruise? The prototype P1A WG760 managed to exceed Mach1 on the 4th August 1954 without the pilot realising, it was only after they checked the sensor data they found out, and it's engines never had reheat/afterburners. Officially it went supersonic a week later, it was limited to Mach1.51

The second prototype model the P1B was cleared for flights up to Mach2.

Clan Cameron

Yeah with that range it would fit just fine into most servers.

Imagine a server with this line up:

Blufor:

EE Lightning F.6

F-5E Tiger

F-8J Crusader

F-4E Phantom

Redfor:

MiG-21Bis

MiG-19P

MiG-23MLA

Man that would be glorius!

i heart you!!!