Trim?

Kev2go

Hello,

I’m just starting to learn this module and my hotas (a TM Cougar) has the ability to trim the axis on demand ... if I do use such a feature, would it be considered a cheat? What do you think?

Cheers.

Edit: I'm still testing my profile, as I go learning the I-16 ... once I feel happy with the layout I intend to upload it into User's Files .. this is what it looks like at the moment:

b7hClAe.jpg

Best regards

Edited by Rudel_chw

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

by all means make it easy on yourself but youre violating the spirit of simulation by doing so

Thank you for your view on this .. but I find very difficult to use the mouse for operating the cockpit controls, while trying to mantain attitude with the other hand :( .. how do you manage to do that?

.. I'm all in for the spirit of simulation, but real pilots dont have to use a Mouse to interact with the aircraft's control, so at that point the spirit of simulation has already taken a hit :)

Anyway, I do like the little plane and have decided to use trim while I learn to handle the systems of the aircraft and maybe later on I will find that I can fly without it ... lets hope for the best.

Cheers!

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

It is much easier to operate controls in cockpit using mouse than when you have to move your whole body to reach that switch.

Anyway I fly in VR and I understand your problems, I always lose joystick position when I look behind me.

Thank you for your view on this .. but I find very difficult to use the mouse for operating the cockpit controls, while trying to mantain attitude with the other hand :( .. how do you manage to do that?

.. I'm all in for the spirit of simulation, but real pilots dont have to use a Mouse to interact with the aircraft's control, so at that point the spirit of simulation has already taken a hit :)

i bind cockpit controls to the keyboard, it requires some familiarization but it helps if you come up with a system for where to bind, either based on correlating locations or by functionality. in the past i moved the mouse over to my left side but the biggest problem with mouse activation is the lack of feedback which results in much more visual attention required than in reality.

i agree using the mouse to click on switches is less authentic than the physical act of reaching out to push a button

Edited by probad

• 3 months later...

I really like the plane and I also noticed that it beats down and you always have to hold your hand on the stick, I think they could solve it by adding the regulation function of the trim to the ground, before starting from the order to the ground staff of adjust the trim a few degrees. According to me it would be feasible and would remain a realistic simulation. Greetings to all I 16 fans.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]My dream: DCS Tornado

What some perceive as "inadequacies" of the Rata are the factors that provide fun and challenge. If it were just another Dora with a red star, there would be no reason to buy it. I enjoy it thoroughly!

Having said that, it certainly helped that I have learned to deal with the Anton, Dora, Kurfürst, Mustang and Spit before buying the Rata. And, of course, I have bound all commands required in-flight to my HOTAS and Button Box. I just cannot afford to take my right hand off the stick to manipulate the mouse.

PS: I do wonder if it didn't have trim tabs adjustable by the ground crew. I have to give a lot of left rudder input in order to do a straight strafing run. But trimmed more to the left might make the take-off run even more tricky.

Edited by LeCuvier

LeCuvier

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5

• 1 month later...

I find it absurd to think that, with all the field modifications these things went through, that enterprising ground crews weren't attaching trim tabs to the trailing edges of the rudder and elevator. Hell, if this is the way it flew in real life, I would have done it myself. Trim tabs that could be adjusted on the ground for particular speeds certainly wasn't unheard of at that time.

What would be great would be to have an option in the ground crew menu to have them bent to reduce the workload at somewhere right around 300 kph.

For the convenient Gamer the following settings can be applied for a quite stable I16 flight experience:

1. Set auto rudder to "on" (check box in special I-16 settings Game menue)

2. Mount 2 rockets on pylon 7+ 8 as a counterweight (do NOT use them :))

3. Set flaps to 11 degrees

4. Set manifold pressure (throttle) to 42

5. Enjoy a sightseeing flight for hours and hours at a speed of about 250 kph without hurting arms

6. Go to jail for not being a serious simmer :)

attachment.php?attachmentid=225753&d=1579946116

attachment.php?attachmentid=225754&d=1579946116

Edit: works even better with 3 rockets:

362413633_2rockets78.jpg.8676af604d407b4816b1263a0e8e2796.jpg

I16Gauges.jpg.19c73a2a3dcbd1aa1b717c60e89b6e99.jpg

Edited by Eber
additional info

• 1 month later...

I read about the aircraft of the First World War type biplanes that the pilot used to shift his weight on the seat to cause a counterbalance in the maneuvers. From them it seems that the saying was born that the plane is piloted with the "ass" .. In effects when the planes were made of wood and canvas the weight of the pilot a little more to the right or left could cause a trim effect, for example in the case of a slight side wind, or as the fuel tank empties the lack weight in the muzzle or in the nacelle may vary the attitude and the pilot will again try to move a little on the seat to compensate.I had read that in some cases they carried bags of sand, a kind of ballast which were moved according to the need.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]My dream: DCS Tornado

I wonder if that saying might come from the fact that most planes used a Wright brothers style of twisting the wings for aileron control. The French invented ailerons, but it’s seems really complicated if you look at the history section here https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aileron#History

It seems it took a few years until close to WWI that aileron use became widespread

Black Shark Den Squadron Member: We are open to new recruits, click here to check us out or apply to join! https://blacksharkden.com

E3FFFC01-584A-411C-8AFB-B02A23157EB6.jpeg