Wondering about a Noob group

rwbishUP

I'm new to DCS, so far I only have the F/A-18c, the fc F-15 and Persian Gulf modules. Was wondering which multiplayer server would be good for weapons hot learning. Say, it's not a kickable offense to shoot down a friendly by accident. SRS or Discord coms between two jets in a dogfight, in order to chat with one another maybe about what you're doing wrong. Radar practice with an actual person, weapons cold or hot, depending on what one anothers practice goal is. I've tried some of the training/practice servers I've found but, I immediately get tagged. With no one to discuss what I did wrong, why I didn't know about the incoming threat, how to work with awacs. I have no reference for learning and improving my fighting skills. I have went through all the tuts and training missions. But it's different when you're in multiplayer, which is what I like about DCS. Anyhow, just wondering, thanks.

TURNDOWN

And I will execute vengeance in anger and fury upon the heathen, such as they have not heard.

Micah 5:15

I would suggest practising the built missions first and getting proficient then taking your skills online. No one enjoys friendly fire even though it does happen in real life. That or join a squadron willing to train you. This is the quickest means of getting proficient in your chosen aircraft.

Ok, was just wondering about it, thank you sir.

And I will execute vengeance in anger and fury upon the heathen, such as they have not heard.

It's a complex game to learn, it just takes alot of time and practice. Keep watching videos from Wags, RedKite and others on how to use the radar, systems, etc. Get the Chuck's guide on your plane and read through it. The GAW (Georgia at War) servers would be good for you, no PvP, so you are just going against AI working with other live players. But target ID is critical, you will not make friends online if you shoot your teammates down. ID on RWR, IFF, visual, whatever tools your plane has, read up on it.

It's a complex game to learn, it just takes alot of time and practice. Keep watching videos from Wags, RedKite and others on how to use the radar, systems, etc. Get the Chuck's guide on your plane and read through it. The GAW (Georgia at War) servers would be good for you, no PvP, so you are just going against AI working with other live players. But target ID is critical, you will not make friends online if you shoot your teammates down. ID on RWR, IFF, visual, whatever tools your plane has, read up on it.

Thanks for your help, I just downloaded Chucks guide, looks really helpful! Will continue to practice and then try out the GAW server. Thank again guys.

Hey RwbishUP.

I was actually wondering the same things, so you're not alone. I'm just doing a lot of single player games now.

Would love to find a group as you mentioned above to help out with the finer minutia of the game.

Good luck, let us know what you find out.

Cheers

Just don't be shy about getting in comms. Most servers have a discord channel... use it. People will walk you through all kinds of things. Plus... it's fun flying a strike package in with other people on comms in PVP or PVE.

One last note.... make sure your iff is on and try not to launch fox 3's (Aim 120's, Aim 54's, ect.) into furballs or areas w/ friendlies. Use Aim 7's if friendlies are around (because you can break lock with those if you find you accidentally fired on a friend). Mostly have fun!! If you want some PVP Growling Sidewinder is pretty good. You won't get kicked from the server for friendly fire but it will kick you to spectators. You can just join right back in though. Just double check iff every time ;)

Edited by ZoSo

ASUS ROG G701VI-XS72K 17.3" - i7 7820HK - GTX 1080 8GB - 32 GB 2666mhz - 512 GB SSD - Win10 Pro 64-Bit - T̶r̶a̶c̶k̶I̶R̶5̶ - Samsung Odyssey HMD!! (Amazing!!) - X56 Rhino HOTAS

I'm new to DCS, so far I only have the F/A-18c, the fc F-15 and Persian Gulf modules. Was wondering which multiplayer server would be good for weapons hot learning. Say, it's not a kickable offense to shoot down a friendly by accident. SRS or Discord coms between two jets in a dogfight, in order to chat with one another maybe about what you're doing wrong. Radar practice with an actual person, weapons cold or hot, depending on what one anothers practice goal is. I've tried some of the training/practice servers I've found but, I immediately get tagged. With no one to discuss what I did wrong, why I didn't know about the incoming threat, how to work with awacs. I have no reference for learning and improving my fighting skills. I have went through all the tuts and training missions. But it's different when you're in multiplayer, which is what I like about DCS. Anyhow, just wondering, thanks.

TURNDOWN

I fly online during weekdays mostly in the 9:00 PM ET timeslot onwards, and during weekends any time of day. DM me on Discord of pretty much any DCS server, or here in the forum and we can arrange some cooperative sessions.