Buying this cute little thing just to support new dev

power5

:laugh:Yes I picked it up yesterday to. Only module where I need takeoff assist..and even that is a challenge. Love it!

Love flying it and in final approach missions I have no trouble landingi it (take off assist is off before I launch that mission). Oh the landing gear hahaha Raising and lowering it.

Aircraft has no trim. NO TRIM. A manly plane

It’s Early Access so I expect missing features and a bug or 2.

Noticed 2 things though... in BoS IL12 I notice the tail wheel turns with the rudder. Not so here. Was later feature?

One take off mission (without takeoff assist) I landed her on the grass next to the runway and stopped. Gunned the engine and took off albeit it was a bumpy takeoff not like being on slick ice on the runway ...could module have issues with runways?

FWIW

Edited by Tempest

I looked at the tail wheel again in the DCS module and it moves BUT NOT with the rudder. More like traveling "dollying" on it's own depending on what direction the a/c is going. I don't know if this is true or the modeling in BoS where it looks like it is tied directly to the rudder.

• 4 months later...

GOOD Looking Historical Plane with a Radial Engine!

There is an interesting ED Forums Thread started by one of the Developers - Member name is " Plexus. " (Use Chrome and Google Translate): https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=133050

The I-16 is fun for what it is. It is a beautiful piece of code, the developer is not active, and no official updates since it was released into Early Access. However, Plexus has posted, in Russian, on the ED Forums Thread as recently as October 2019. Maybe this is a case of if it ain't broke then don't fix it - but if you read parts of the early thread, you can make your own conclusions.

I just had to buy it for $20 to see what happens if/when it leaves Early Access. It really is fascinating comparing the evolution of these Warbirds from both sides. For some, DCS is turning into a personal Museum of Aviation History. Just for fun, I set up a Mission with three Christen Eagle II's and the I-16. It was more fun than I expected it to be and more fun than using a P51. Fun is Good.

Edited by YSIAD_RIP
  • Do not own:  | F-15E | JF-17 | Fw 190 A-8 | Bf 109 |
  • Hardware:  [ - Ryzen7-5800X - 32GB - RX 6800 - X56 HOTAS Throttle -  WINWING Orion 2 F16EX Grip - TrackIR 5 - Tobii 5C - JetPad FSE - ]