I need a VR computer!

Wmacky

Updated the cooler link!

Would it be worth dropping down to the I7 9700K to save $100, and extra heat? I understand for VR / Gaming, the performance is the same?

Not familiar with Cougar, but yeah 360mm is what you want - I am sure it will be fine.

Hard for me to say on i9 9900k versus i7 9700k.

The i9 9900k has Hyperthreading ( 8 cores 16 threads) versus the i7 9700k at 8 cores/8 threads.

I will say though I have hyperthreading disabled to help on heat , as games typically do not get much if any advantage with hyperthreading.

The 9900k has more cache, not sure what that gives us in real world.

Have a look here:

https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i9-9900K-vs-Intel-Core-i7-9700K/4028vs4030

The reason I went with i9 9900k - it was the best CPU I could get at the time. As I only do a new build about every 5 years, I wanted the best CPU I could get to carry me through another 5 years. And maybe some games will take better advantage of it a couple years down the road or so, who knows. I am sure you would be pleased with the 9700k if saving the 100 bucks helps you.

I did this build on Jan 15th, and so far I have been extremely pleased.

I have all 8 cores running at 5.1 GHz with no AVX offset.

Edited by dburne

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Don, You have me looking at bigger cases, but I don't want too big. This is my current favorite.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07J63FBZJ/ref=psdc_572238_t4_B077232WC2

As long as you have plenty of room for that 360mm rad and good air flow through the case you should be fine, and it would appear that case should fit that bill.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Updated list:

--snippage --

Not sure about WIN 10, Perhaps someone could PM me with the least expensive place to purchase?

Looks like the total will be just a little less than the Prebuilt.

It's alot of money. I hope the Ryzen Zen 2 release doesn't make it a poor choice. Sould I wait on the AMD final anouncement / Pricing??????

I don't see intel prices coming down because of the Ryzen coming out. And if you're building a game rig, Intel is probably the right way to go. If you plan on running VM's, doing video processing, Ryzen starts to make more sense.

Do you already have Windows 10? If so, and you log into your Windows/Microsoft account, when you install the Windows 10, the license will transfer over.

You can start the Win10 install with the Windows Media Creation Tool (installed on USB).

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

For ease of use, I would say two sticks of ram.

It's of course entirely dependent on silicon lottery of mobo, CPU, and the ram sticks .

But I need to ease up the OC on my RAM to 2900 from rated 3200mhz or start running into occasional Bsods or POST problems.

Think that's the same PSU I have been runnign for a while now, no complaints.

Plenty of cables and pretty much left on idle for my rig.

Edited by Bob_Bushman

i7 8700k @ 4.7, 32GB 2900Mhz, 1080ti, CV1

Virpil MT-50\Delta, MFG Crosswind, Warthog Throttle, Virptil Mongoost-50 throttle.

Thanks,

I'm ordering the second half of the parts today. I should have a I9 9900K / 2080TI system ready to roll after next weekend. I still need some thermal paste?

:thumbup:

Congrats, sweet chip and video card!

Don B

My hardware has arrived!

The last of the parts came in today - I9 - 2080TI - 3200 32gb memory.

That small Newegg box cost me $2000.00 alone. I still feel kinda ill...........

I have not bought the case yet!

Being this will be a VR only computer only for a motion cockpit, I would like to do something really different. I have a rolling metal server cabinet that hold all the motion electronics, and the compute case will set on top.

I thought it would be cool to go with something bizarre like this thing:

Would this be a bad idea for a I9 2080 TI rig?

9519722.02.big.jpg

Edited by Wmacky

My hardware has arrived!

The last of the parts came in today - I9 - 2080TI - 3200 32gb memory.

That small Newegg box cost me $2000.00 alone. I still feel kinda ill...........

I have not bought the case yet!

Being this will be a VR only computer only for a motion cockpit, I would like to do something really different. I have a rolling metal server cabinet that hold all the motion electronics, and the compute case will set on top.

I thought it would be cool to go with something bizarre like this thing:

Would this be a bad idea for a I9 2080 TI rig?

9519722.02.big.jpg

Are you planning on adding a custom copper/water cooling for the 2080Ti? The righ above is water cooled CPU/GPU isn't it? The radiator is on the bottom of the motherboard? I always bought EVGAs AIO GPUs (titan, 1080Ti) but this time I couldn't wait and grabbed the 3fan air cooled GPU.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

• 2 weeks later...

I've finnaly gathered all the bits and will start building over the holiday weekend. I'm rather cash poor now.

This is what $2800.00 looks like......

gallery_34981_4148_133492.jpg

I've finnaly gathered all the bits and will start building over the holiday weekend. I'm rather cash poor now.

This is what $2800.00 looks like......

Congrats! I built a similar rig in Jan, you are in for a treat!

Don B

• 4 weeks later...

9519722.02.big.jpg

I have this case mounted to the wall along side my rig ...really helps with cooling ...Keep a cover over it when not in use to keep dust of it ...killer looking too!

i7-9700K @ 5.0 l MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Plus MB l 32GB DDR4 2400 Ram l Sabrent Rocket Q 1TB M.2 l EVGA 3080 FTW l Win10 Pro l WarBRD/Warthog Hotas l VKB MkIV rudder Pedals l Reverb G2

Well. I'm the odd one out I guess.

First of all; anything above 2600Mhz for your memory is useless when using Intel CPU's. If you're using AMD, then go for memory as fast as possible, AMD really profits from fast memory, Intel doesn't really.

Second. I wouldn't opt for a 2080Ti. For that price it's not up to par. The main feature of the RTX series was not performance improvements, but rather raytracing supported hardware. In the mean time there are already options/drivers to use raytracing via software, so that is also obsolete.

Last, main thing for performance is how you configure your OS installation. Which apps do you run in the background? How are your resources spread across your system? Tweak (turn off some of) the services that run in Windows out of the box.

The performance of a system is a delicate dance between hardware and software. simply buying the fastest (most expensive) hardware won't guarantee your system will be fast as well.

Like I said; probably I'm the odd one out. ;)

edit: I see I'm too late with my response.

Congrats and have fun! :)

I built my PC from this newegg kit:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails?ItemList=Combo.3893618&Description=i7%209700k%20combo

Just over $1000 for a 9700K processor. I had a graphics card already (1080), and an extra SSD.

I bought this only for gaming.

Very happy with it.

My graphics card was a zotak 1080 mini, which when I bought it was something like $600 off amazon. But as I said I alreday had it.

Took 5 hours to build it and to my surprise fired up first time.

Also purchased a new copy of Windows 10, USB version. The darn thing installed in under 15 minutes, I think it was closer to 10. I have never seen that....