[CORRECT AS IS]"undesignate" will send TPod back in caged position

Viking 1-1

Really not very enjoyable:

If you try to set several targets up (e.g. JDAM in TOO), as soon as you press the "undesignate/NWS" button to go to the next target, your TPod goes back to its "caged Position"

Therefore it is almost impossible to set up multiple targets in one run…

Edited by Viking 1-1

Before you call everything a "bug": RTFM & try again! Thank you. :music_whistling:

I9-9900k, 32 GB RAM, Geforce RTX 2080 TI, 128 GB M2 SSD, 1 TB SSD, Track IR, Warthog Hotas

If you try to set several targets up (e.g. JDAM in TOO), as soon as you press the "undesignate/NWS" button to go to the next target, your TPod goes back to its "caged Position"

I can confirm that behaviour, which is easy to reproduce:

1. slave TPOD to a Waypoint
  2. slew TPOD to a target
  3. depress TDC to send coordinates to JDAM TOO
  4. pressing undesignate/nws button (obligatory to transfer next target's coordinates before pressing the STEP OSB) = caging TPOD to initial position

Edited by AstonMartinDBS

[Modules] A-10C, A-10C II, AH-64D, F-14A/B, F-16C, F/A-18C, FC3, Ka-50, P-51D, UH-1H, CA, SC
[Maps] PG, NTTR, Normandy, Sinai, Syria, TC

[OS] Windows 11 Pro
[PC] MSI Pro Z790-A, i9-13900K, 64 GB DDR5-5200, RTX 4090 24 GB GDDR6X, 2 x SSD 990 PRO 2 TB (M.2), Corsair 5000D Airflow, HX1500i, H150i RGB Elite, Acer X28, TM HOTAS Warthog (Grip@WarBRD Base), MS SW FFB2, Thrustmaster TFRP, TrackIR 5 & TrackClip Pro
[Checklists] A-10C, F-16C, F/A-18C, AH-64D, Ka-50, UH-1H

(obligatory to transfer next target's coordinates before pressing the STEP OSB)

It is not necessary to undesignate before STEPping to the next station, unless you are at the last station and doing it will take you back to the 1st one (to prevent overwriting the 1st station TOO target with your current designated target).

Undesignating will return the FLIR to snowplow, it's not a bug.

Edited by Santi871

It is not necessary to undesignate before STEPping to the next station, unless you are at the last station and doing it will take you back to the 1st one (to prevent overwriting the 1st station TOO target with your current designated target).

Undesignating will return the FLIR to snowplow, it's not a bug.

Exactly, you just have to remember to undesignate before you cycle back to your first bomb and at this point, you've already used the TPOD for its purpose.

I do wonder if that's normal behavior though, shouldn't TOO get coordinates only after TDC Depress, after the station is selected?

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

Exactly, you just have to remember to undesignate before you cycle back to your first bomb and at this point, you've already used the TPOD for its purpose.

I do wonder if that's normal behavior though, shouldn't TOO get coordinates only after TDC Depress, after the station is selected?

No, the selected stations (the current station + any other station selected in QTY) are automatically continuously updated with the A/G designation in TOO mode.

No, the selected stations (the current station + any other station selected in QTY) are automatically continuously updated with the A/G designation in TOO mode.
Got it, thanks.

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

Thx guys. I thought that I have to undesignate previous each single STEP to the next station... :lol:

[Modules] A-10C, A-10C II, AH-64D, F-14A/B, F-16C, F/A-18C, FC3, Ka-50, P-51D, UH-1H, CA, SC
[Maps] PG, NTTR, Normandy, Sinai, Syria, TC

[OS] Windows 11 Pro
[PC] MSI Pro Z790-A, i9-13900K, 64 GB DDR5-5200, RTX 4090 24 GB GDDR6X, 2 x SSD 990 PRO 2 TB (M.2), Corsair 5000D Airflow, HX1500i, H150i RGB Elite, Acer X28, TM HOTAS Warthog (Grip@WarBRD Base), MS SW FFB2, Thrustmaster TFRP, TrackIR 5 & TrackClip Pro
[Checklists] A-10C, F-16C, F/A-18C, AH-64D, Ka-50, UH-1H

Thx guys. I thought that I have to undesignate previous each single STEP to the next station... :lol:

Yes, me too.

And before this update the TPod did not change position...

Before you call everything a "bug": RTFM & try again! Thank you. :music_whistling:

I9-9900k, 32 GB RAM, Geforce RTX 2080 TI, 128 GB M2 SSD, 1 TB SSD, Track IR, Warthog Hotas

Undesignate returns tpod to boresite

quick q: i'm working on designating multiple GPS bomb targets so i can pop them off in one run and have them all go to different targets. issue is, after i designate a target for 1 bomb, i have to undesignate the TDC before designating the next target. and the undesignate function makes the TPOD slew all the way back to its boresite, thus losing site of my target area.

question is, is there a way to undesignate without moving the TPOD camera? if not, is there a better way of designating multiple target coordinates?

thanks!

Acer Predator Triton 700 || i7-7700HQ || 512GB SSD || 32GB RAM || GTX1080 Max-Q || FFB II and Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle || All DCS Modules

This is because ED choose to ignore or fail to implement proper HOTAS functionality for our jet.

Mind you, it's a bit of a mixed bag on this one in particular.

Now from what I've gathered recently: With a target designation set, hitting NWS only once should first clear the designation - this will not move the TGP. Follow up NWS commands should then reset the TGP causing it to cycle between VVSL and snowplow. Either that or the cage/un-cage will cycle those modes from what some one else told me.

Regardless, I find it hard to believe that you'd have two separate buttons with redundant actions (instantly resetting the TGP) with out some steps or logic in-between them to differentiate some use cases.

We all know the F/A-18 has its quirks here and there, but even this one seems a bit far-fetched.

quick q: i'm working on designating multiple GPS bomb targets so i can pop them off in one run and have them all go to different targets. issue is, after i designate a target for 1 bomb, i have to undesignate the TDC before designating the next target. and the undesignate function makes the TPOD slew all the way back to its boresite, thus losing site of my target area.

question is, is there a way to undesignate without moving the TPOD camera? if not, is there a better way of designating multiple target coordinates?

thanks!

See post 3 of this thread for the answer. It works perfectly.

Now from what I've gathered recently: With a target designation set, hitting NWS only once should first clear the designation - this will not move the TGP. Follow up NWS commands should then reset the TGP causing it to cycle between VVSL and snowplow. Either that or the cage/un-cage will cycle those modes from what some one else told me.

What is your source for this?

This behavior is a problem actually for other reasons too.

Try to use a laser maverick from a slaved position on tgp when you have to lase.

You are forced to undesignate or the mav won't work.

Same with IR mav actually as you have to point the thing on it.

This behavior is a problem actually for other reasons too.

Try to use a laser maverick from a slaved position on tgp when you have to lase.

You are forced to undesignate or the mav won't work.

Same with IR mav actually as you have to point the thing on it.

You are very right. It seems very odd that a multi million dollar plane will make a pilot struggle with situational awareness like this.

Stay safe

This is because ED choose to ignore or fail to implement proper HOTAS functionality for our jet.

Mind you, it's a bit of a mixed bag on this one in particular.

Regardless, I find it hard to believe that you'd have two separate buttons with redundant actions (instantly resetting the TGP) with out some steps or logic in-between them to differentiate some use cases.

We all know the F/A-18 has its quirks here and there, but even this one seems a bit far-fetched.

I'm also struggling with this a lot. It doesn't make any sense that the pilot cannot look at the target area because he undesignated so the TOOs won't overwrite. I'd love to see ED let us know that at least it is not a mistake in DCS but from Boeing themselves.

Stay safe

The current implementation is correct. The pod will snowplow in an undesignated condition.

To avoid snowplow when designating TOO targets, don't undesignate until after having designated the target for your last station in your sequence.

So you can't observe the target area after dropping the JDAMs without finding it again with the tpod? I hope this is not true. Just because it would be so easy to avoid that problem with the mentioned solution of a 2 staged undesignation functionality.

So you can't observe the target area after dropping the JDAMs without finding it again with the tpod? I hope this is not true. Just because it would be so easy to avoid that problem with the mentioned solution of a 2 staged undesignation functionality.

You can create a waypoint at the target area and WPDSG to observe after pickling. When markpoints are there you could do the same by saving one of the targets into a markpoint then WPDSG'ing the markpoint. You can also use VVSLV to get the pod on the target area again too.

You can create a waypoint at the target area and WPDSG to observe after pickling. When markpoints are there you could do the same by saving one of the targets into a markpoint then WPDSG'ing the markpoint. You can also use VVSLV to get the pod on the target area again too.

When I find a target with tpod I don't have it's coordinates. Tpod doesn't show them.

Afaik markpoints will only mark the aircraft's position not the tpod's target.

And after the release of a JDAM I don't want to point my nose toward the target again and search for it (It is not designated anymore) but want to bank and get out of the range of itsweapons.

No, there is nothing better than a two-stage-undesignation functionality. Let's hope RL isn't that complicated.

When I find a target with tpod I don't have it's coordinates. Tpod doesn't show them.

Afaik markpoints will only mark the aircraft's position not the tpod's target.

And after the release of a JDAM I don't want to point my nose toward the target again and search for it (It is not designated anymore) but want to bank and get out of the range of itsweapons.

No, there is nothing better than a two-stage-undesignation functionality. Let's hope RL isn't that complicated.

Markpoints mark the current A/G designation if it exists, or the overfly point if it doesn't.

The current undesignate functionality is correct as is. It doesn't matter if you can come up with a better way to implement that functionality - ED modules are modeled according to the documentation.

PS: if it makes you happy I can ask Wags to review it too

Edited by Santi871

Markpoints mark the current A/G designation if it exists, or the overfly point if it doesn't.

The current undesignate functionality is correct as is. It doesn't matter if you can come up with a better way to implement that functionality - ED modules are modeled according to the documentation.

PS: if it makes you happy I can ask Wags to review it too

That's why I mentioned "hope". I'm totally aware that we don't get anything that is confimed not to be real and I love DCS for that. I just hoped undesignation is not totally confirmed to be like this IRL and there is space for interpretation or correction.

It is really good to hear that Hornet will be able to mark the tgp target point though. That should help a lot here. Thanks