F-18 Aim-120 Lofting Issues Plus More

When shooting the Aim-120 at long range in the F-18, the missile lofts too much and then makes a violent maneuver to avoid overshooting the target. This does not appear to be an issue in the F-16 or the F-15, as the Aim-120 glides into its target perfectly.

Also as I'm sure your aware, lofting in other missiles like the Aim-54, also seems to be buggy. They make violent pitch changes (killing their airspeed,) halfway through flight instead of a smooth pitch adjustment. Just wondering if this will eventually get addressed. Tracks recorded in latest Open Beta.

F-18 Aim-120 Lofting Issue.trk

F-16 Aim-120 Lofting .trk

F-15 Aim-120 Lofting .trk

F-14 Aim-54 Lofting issue .trk

...was about to post a topic on exactly same problem.

i already saved it, so i link my track too.

aim120 loft good (or too much i dont know)...but he dont come back down… missing the target.

absolutely nosense, considering i was keeping the target under TWS lock.

They also really need to fix the lofting for other missiles, particularly the Aim-54. Mid way through flight it has to change its course violently to avoid overshooting much like the F-18 AMRAAM at the moment.

yeah this is getting ridiculous. just chased a player out of fujarah. ACM locked him on takeoff (he didn't know i was there) at 7 nm fired 2 aarams both lofted probably to around 40k, fired third same thing. he ran cold only got him on the deck after chasing about 40 miles . it seems to have gotten so much worse.

The thing with the AIM-120 lofting and then pulling a sharp turn when it goes pitbull is due to a bug in the F-18, the missile itself works fine. TWS in the F-18 doesn't provide mid-course guidance, so the missile flies to the point that the target was at launch and doesn't correct until it goes active. If you launch in STT or LTWS, it guides and updates fine.

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

why does the same missile act differently when fired from different aircraft? there have been many bugs like this

does ED implement the guidance for amraam independently for each module? :huh:

I think it has to do with the Hornet's radar, not the missile.

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-

So this should probably be moved in F18 bug section. Also it does not seem that the 120b is affected by this logic for me. Can anyone else confirm it as well?

It's a reported bug for the F-18, ED is aware. I've only tested with the AIM-120C as well.

-

F-16C TWS also does not provide mid-course guidance for AIM-120. It's supposed to be a "feature" of WIP AIM-120 autopilot.

On MP i get killed by F16 aim120c after cranking left and right for several miles almost as much as aim54s.

The F16 is deadly with 120c

It's a reported bug for the F-18, ED is aware. I've only tested with the AIM-120C as well.

tested with aim 120 B model, same result. its like its missing mid-course guidance.

on DCS is more important be a bug expert than a flight or combat expert, it totally ruins realism .