Yet another warthog slew upgrade

Deltaalphalima1

Just received and installed mine - thanks very much!

Before calibration using the described tool (not Windows!) the stick pretty much resembled that of my TMCS Throttle :D Then after I had run the proper calibration... oh my, this is perfection!

I play both DCS World and Elite Dangerous these days. For Elite, this calibration will make my life *so* much easier.

Oh and it looks great too! Thanks so much.

qzJx4Y5.jpg

Mine arrived last week (Order 1254), fitting took all of 5 minutes and while I haven't fired up DCS yet the quality is miles ahead of the stock slew.

For anyone fitting this for the first time, you MUST use the Deltasim calibration tool otherwise the slew axis won't behave.

Devils Canyon i7 4790K @ 4.9GHz |16gb DDR3 | MSI GeForce GTX 1080Ti | Samsung 860 EVO

Thrustmaster Warthog | Virpil WarBRD | Virpil TM-50CM2 Grip | VKB-Sim T-Rudder Mk.IV | Acer X34A (21:9) | Oculus Rift S

A-10C | AJS-37 | AV-8B | C-101 | F/A-18C | F-14A/B | F-5E | KA-50 | L-39 | M-2000C | SA342 | Spitfire LF Mk IX | UH-1H

I never saw a shipping notice but my kit arrived tonight. Spent about 10 minutes installing it, ran configuration and then jumped into a A-10 weapons delivery mission. WOW! What an incredible difference. Slewing is a joy now. It was a bit too sensitive at first but I adjusted the axis some in game (as suggested in the install directions) and it's great now.

The quality of the kit is impressive and the instructions are logically formatted and well written. Installation was a breeze. If anyone is on the fence about this upgrade, don't be. It's a must have!

Madmatt

A-10C, AV-8B, F-16C, F/A-18C, KA-50, Mi-8, UH-1H, FC3, CA, WWII, NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf

Gaming Rig: I7 7700k @5GHz, Corsair H115i Water Cooling, 32GB G.Skill TridentZ RGB 3600MHz DDR4 SDRAM, Aorus GeForce GTX 1080Ti, 2 x Samsung 960 Pro M.2 1TB NVMe SSD's, Warthog HOTAS w/ Slew mod, MFG Crosswind Pedals, 2 x TM Cougar MFD's, Oculus Rift-S, TrackIR 5, Asus ROG PG3480 34" GSync Monitor @3440x1440-100Hz, Asus 27" Monitor @1920x1080-144Hz, Windows 10 x64

I have order 1262 and received a shipping notice about 2 weeks ago. Any of the people posting about receiving theirs is from the U.S. as well?

My #1253 was to Australia, and I received it this week - hopefully yours is just around the corner.

Mine arrived today.. I removed 4 screws per instruction but i cant remove side with switches... Its like something prevents bottom side to remove.. Do i have to force it out?

And do i have to remove square plate before sensor placement? ae4e164a8e84a356b4a99e110d59fec3.jpg

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk

Edited by hreich

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Pilot from Croatia

Mine arrived today.. I removed 4 screws per instruction but i cant remove side with switches... Its like something prevents bottom side to remove.. Do i have to force it out?

And do i have to remove square plate bwdore sensor placement?

Don't force anything! You don't have to take the side all the way off. You should be able to reach to the old slew controller from the amount you have off now. If it's too tight a fit just be careful and see if it's hanging up somewhere down near the controller board. I was able to get the side off about the same as you did and get everything installed. The screws all go through cylinder shaped sleeves (the directions mention these), that can pop off. It's possible the one at the very bottom of your controller is jamming everything up slightly. Just be patient and easily work the side a bit and you should be able to get it out a little more.

Once you get it out of the way enough to reach inside, remember to pinch in one of the two ears on the old slew control and then you can work it out the front. This was the hardest part for me. The instructions describe how to do this but it still took a bit of effort and was hard to get too. I used a small flat bladed screwdriver to push in one side and then was able to pop the old slew controller out the front. I read earlier that you just have to push in one side and that's what I did to get it to loosen and then I just gently pushed the old switch from behind and it popped out.

My new slew controller did come with the square plate already attached, something the instructions did not account for, so yes you have to use the included tool to unscrew the two small screws to remove the plate and remove the hat (just pops off), then position the new slew controller into position as the directions show, then screw it in from the front using either the round or square plate.

Once you do that, put everything back together, be careful to not pinch any cables, put the slew hat back on and you should be ready to calibrate and rock and roll.

Good luck!

Madmatt

Edited by Madmatt_BFC
clarity

A-10C, AV-8B, F-16C, F/A-18C, KA-50, Mi-8, UH-1H, FC3, CA, WWII, NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf

Gaming Rig: I7 7700k @5GHz, Corsair H115i Water Cooling, 32GB G.Skill TridentZ RGB 3600MHz DDR4 SDRAM, Aorus GeForce GTX 1080Ti, 2 x Samsung 960 Pro M.2 1TB NVMe SSD's, Warthog HOTAS w/ Slew mod, MFG Crosswind Pedals, 2 x TM Cougar MFD's, Oculus Rift-S, TrackIR 5, Asus ROG PG3480 34" GSync Monitor @3440x1440-100Hz, Asus 27" Monitor @1920x1080-144Hz, Windows 10 x64

I have order 1262 and received a shipping notice about 2 weeks ago. Any of the people posting about receiving theirs is from the U.S. as well? Just wondering if mine is arriving soon. Can’t wait to test it.

Yeah, I was 1276 or 1278 I think and I am located in Ohio. Never got an email about shipping although maybe it got hung up in a spam filter. Mine arrived this past Tuesday afternoon. it comes in a small little brown cardboard box and was sitting in my mailbox. I honestly didn't know what it was at first until I noticed that it was an international shipment.

Madmatt

Edited by Madmatt_BFC

After around 2 hours i managed to connect slew replacement, but i also found why i couldn move side with 3 switches down to 90 degrees.. Because this connector that goes to bottom of stick and which i accidentaly disconnected.

Now i have another problem i cannot connect it bak because wire is too short..I have to found how to open bottom of throttle so i can free some length of that wire so i can connect it back..

Deltaalphalima1 - maybe you could update your instructions to mention three things:

1. about wires that are short and prevent to freely open side of throttle with 3 switches (mine disconnected only when my throttle tipped over on my desk by accident) - i didnt even know that it prevents me from opening the side with 3 switches (thumbnail picture shows how far i could open that side - it was too small to reach the slew pot)

2. about how to remove the slew cap

3. about that you have to remove the plate from slew mounts - so you can mount the slew in throttle, and then place the plate back

If somebody knows can i remove the other side of cover where there are no switches and how? Maybe i can connect cable through backside?

057ae2348f87d79f80ed63c5dd7c1764.jpg

ae4e164a8e84a356b4a99e110d59fec3.thumb.jpg.4d64fea03df4197bedf32276d4c19b07.jpg

Edited by hreich

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Pilot from Croatia

I had the same problem and here is how i solved it.

My warthog when i opened it.

f0181547a277933d25b2e2b614fc71807021c3f6.jpg

You have to open the back plate.

Remove the black scotch. Then, you have to push on the cable from one side while you pull the cable from the orther side. But the risk is that you cut the cable.

04af9dd0755d44b33d4db0f81df4170358d3a516.jpg

And what i had after :

1df86be337a473dcb085c69911876b2bf93db2fa.jpg

Keep in mind that you can cut or damage the cable.

I had the same problem and here is how i solved it.

My warthog when i opened it.

f0181547a277933d25b2e2b614fc71807021c3f6.jpg

You have to open the back plate.

Remove the black scotch. Then, you have to push on the cable from one side while you pull the cable from the orther side. But the risk is that you cut the cable.

04af9dd0755d44b33d4db0f81df4170358d3a516.jpg

And what i had after :

1df86be337a473dcb085c69911876b2bf93db2fa.jpg

Keep in mind that you can cut or damage the cable.

Thanks.. I solved it same way but beforw i saw your post

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Pilot from Croatia

After around 2 hours i managed to connect slew replacement, but i also found why i couldn move side with 3 switches down to 90 degrees.. Because this connector that goes to bottom of stick and which i accidentaly disconnected.

Now i have another problem i cannot connect it bak because wire is too short..I have to found how to open bottom of throttle so i can free some length of that wire so i can connect it back..

Deltaalphalima1 - maybe you could update your instructions to mention three things:

1. about wires that are short and prevent to freely open side of throttle with 3 switches (mine disconnected only when my throttle tipped over on my desk by accident) - i didnt even know that it prevents me from opening the side with 3 switches (thumbnail picture shows how far i could open that side - it was too small to reach the slew pot)

2. about how to remove the slew cap

3. about that you have to remove the plate from slew mounts - so you can mount the slew in throttle, and then place the plate back

If somebody knows can i remove the other side of cover where there are no switches and how? Maybe i can connect cable through backside?

Sorry to hear you have had some troubles - I will look into adding your suggestions to the install guide.

From your pictures it looks like there must be some differences in the manufacturing tolerances on some throttles with the bottom cable. In my unit for example there is plenty of slack to completely remove the side plate with it still connected, but clearly yours is not as long.

Would you mind sharing you throttle serial number or approximately when you bought it so I can see if there is a pattern?

Specs: i7 7700K delid @ 4.8GHZ, MSI Gaming X GTX1080, ASUS Strix Z270G, 32GB Corsair LPX @ 3000MHz, Noctua NH-U12S, EVGA 750 P2, Fractal Define Mini C

Hardware: Thrustmaster Warthog, TrackIR 5, MFG Crosswinds(4757) , Custom Helicopter Collective

www.deltasimelectronics.com

So I see you're using an analog stick, is that correct?

I've looked a bit at using an actual I2C device, specifically this one from Greyhill:

http://www.grayhill.com/assets/1/7/Hall_Effect_67B.pdf

Can anybody tell me if I'll need to do any hacking, or is I2C I2C?

Yes I am using an analog stick, reading the analog value with a microcontroller and then converting that to the correct I2C protocol that the throttle speaks.

Unfortunately that Grayhill part won't work directly. I2C is just the overall protocol - the exact data and format of the message that’s sent is not the same as what the throttle requires. I'm sure it could be made to work with the appropriate microcontroller program, but that would not be a trivial job.

Specs: i7 7700K delid @ 4.8GHZ, MSI Gaming X GTX1080, ASUS Strix Z270G, 32GB Corsair LPX @ 3000MHz, Noctua NH-U12S, EVGA 750 P2, Fractal Define Mini C

Hardware: Thrustmaster Warthog, TrackIR 5, MFG Crosswinds(4757) , Custom Helicopter Collective

I just received my slew upgrade and installed it with ease. I've got somewhat mixed feelings about it at the moment.

The slewing certainly feels more sensitive and tactile now. I think this is just a matter of getting used to the new feeling and adjusting curves as needed.

However the target selection press is now more wobbly given the increased distance i.e. longer neck of the stick. I've been messing with the deadzone settings to allow for this wobble whilst pressing the stick for selection, but I keep wondering if the stick was just shorter would it allow me the best of both worlds.

I'm going to persist with it a bit more, but given that this is stick is derived from the Playstation/XBOX controllers, I wonder if it's possible to get a shorter stick to try out for comparison.

Any suggestions?

I just received my slew upgrade and installed it with ease. I've got somewhat mixed feelings about it at the moment.

The slewing certainly feels more sensitive and tactile now. I think this is just a matter of getting used to the new feeling and adjusting curves as needed.

However the target selection press is now more wobbly given the increased distance i.e. longer neck of the stick. I've been messing with the deadzone settings to allow for this wobble whilst pressing the stick for selection, but I keep wondering if the stick was just shorter would it allow me the best of both worlds.

I'm going to persist with it a bit more, but given that this is stick is derived from the Playstation/XBOX controllers, I wonder if it's possible to get a shorter stick to try out for comparison.

Any suggestions?

I have received mine yesterday, and have not installed yet. But I can tell it takes a lot more to trigger the button. Actually pressing there is a first click halfway and only at the end it presses the button. I suspect the best would be to find a way to reduce the gap between the white little piece and the button trigger, in a way it activates with less pressure and more quickly. This could be done by glueing a very tinny piece of toothpick from what I see. Ill reconsider this after I flight test it, but I do notice what you are reporting even before using.

Any suggestions?

I do have a slightly shorter hat piece design that can be 3D printed. It reduces the height by 2mm, the stl file is attached if anyone would like to use it. Note that the tolerances on the shaft part are very critical to getting a good friction fit, so it might take some trial with scaling the part to get it to fit properly.

Unfortunately the combined push button and analog stick will always suffer for a bit of wobble - just because it is very hard to put a downward force on the button without making the stick due it its length.

ALPSHat small.zip

Hi! I just installed your analog joystick in my WH throttle. This is a quality piece of equipment. I ordered it while ago but just got around putting it in. Only a couple of hours using it and it works great. This is a excellent upgrade to the Throttle. The instructions were extremely thought out and thorough. And the calibration was quick and to the point. Thanks!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]