**DCS F-14: ACLS Landing!**

Cobra847

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not arguing against the bounce, I was clarifying who is in control in an ACLS landing.

The bounce can be attributed to an untuned suspension and wip carrier physics.

ok I think I was reading the wrong light then

EDIT: the A/P COUPLER light never comes on so I was watching the cmd control light. nevermind

Edited by tekrc

ok I think I was reading the wrong light then

EDIT: the A/P COUPLER light never comes on so I was watching the cmd control light. nevermind

Let me clear things up. The ACLS turns of its glidepath tracking mode 2-3 secs before landing and goes into an attitude hold where it locks in the current attitude for the last part of the approach.

Bouncing is due to work in progress suspension and wire trapping physics. There's a reason why there's a big WiP disclaimer in the video :pilotfly:

/Daniel

Heatblur Simulations

Let me clear things up. The ACLS turns of its glidepath tracking mode 2-3 secs before landing and goes into an attitude hold where it locks in the current attitude for the last part of the approach.

Bouncing is due to work in progress suspension and wire trapping physics. There's a reason why there's a big WiP disclaimer in the video :pilotfly:

that makes more sense. I thought the system worked slightly different. I was more confused by the missing a/p coupler light than anything.

So, basically trapping this thing will be a piece of cake when using the ACLS system? I have a question, do real life pilots have authority to use ACLS whenever they want to, or is it a system that is used as a last resort? (very low Visibility, Pilot is injured, incapacitated, etc?)

Edited by OnlyforDCS

Current specs: Windows 10 Home 64bit, i5-9600K @ 3.7 Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB Samsung EVO 860 M.2 SSD, GAINWARD RTX2060 6GB, Oculus Rift S, MS FFB2 Sidewinder + Warthog Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Pro rudder pedals.

So, basically trapping this thing will be a piece of cake when using the ACLS system? I have a question, do real life pilots have authority to use ACLS whenever they want to, or is it a system that is used as a last resort? (very low Visibility, Pilot is injured, incapacitated, etc?)

mode I ACLS basically means auto land. you dont have to do anything as long as the system stays connected and on path. usually used in very low visibility. not so much bad weather because the system at the time wasnt very good at correcting for large deviations. in that case hit the tanker and wait for calmer air. otherwise in case I operations it was either used to get down to minimums then manual final, or manual all the way depending on traffic.

the system is enabled/disabled on ship. if the system isnt running the pilot will never get the ACL READY light on annunciator and instead will get VOICE telling pilot he will be guided by voice prompts from the lso

Based on my experience I would say a pilot needs to remain current on ACLS landings, and as such would be required to do a certain amount of ACLS landings each month. Being aircrew is alllllllll about currencies....

But I highly doubt they could just roll into the groove and use ACLS whenever they wanted, it would be a skill required to be maintained for when you 'really' needed it, not because you felt like it.

The act of actually completing a manual landing would also need to be maintained, and I believe you don't get a grade if you complete a full ACLS landing either.

I think mostly (knowing fighter pilots) - they would much rather do the whole thing themselves, and walk away with the good grading to show for it :thumbup:

Asus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha| i7-6700K @ 4.60GHz | nVidia GTX 1080ti Strix OC 11GB @ 2075MHz| 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 CL14 |

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 SSD | Corsair Force LE 480GB SSD | Windows 10 64-Bit | TM Warthog with FSSB R3 Lighting Base | VKB Gunfighter Pro + MCG | TM MFD's | Oculus Rift S | Jetseat FSE

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Wait just a second....y'all aren't finished with this thing yet?? Come on!

Just kidding guys, keep it up!

Specs:

Fractal Design Define R5 Black, ASUS ROG Strix Z370-E, Intel Core i5-8600K Coffee Lake @ 5.1 GHz, MSI GeForce GTX 1080ti 11GB 352-Bit GDDR5X, Corsair H110i, G.Skill TridentZ 32GB (2x16GB), Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB SSD

Based on my experience I would say a pilot needs to remain current on ACLS landings, and as such would be required to do a certain amount of ACLS landings each month. Being aircrew is alllllllll about currencies....

But I highly doubt they could just roll into the groove and use ACLS whenever they wanted, it would be a skill required to be maintained for when you 'really' needed it, not because you felt like it.

The act of actually completing a manual landing would also need to be maintained, and I believe you don't get a grade if you complete a full ACLS landing either.

I think mostly (knowing fighter pilots) - they would much rather do the whole thing themselves, and walk away with the good grading to show for it :thumbup:

pilots do have to maintain currency for carrier operations. but not for acls specifically. have to do day and night landings or touch and goes in a period of time or they have to re qualify. acls is more or less the ship telling the plane what to do to correct itself so im not sure if a grade is given or not. pilot doesnt have to do anything except initial line up, configure gear, flaps, hook, DLC, and speed brake, turn on the auto throttle and engage the acls, then monitor for disconnects in which case approach continues on manual.

that makes more sense. I thought the system worked slightly different. I was more confused by the missing a/p coupler light than anything.

Here's a little more detailed timeline of what occurs during an ACLS approach. It comes from ACLS installation certification manual.

http://www.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/a118181.pdf

"In a Mode I approach, the computer-generated flight commands are transmitted through the data link to the aircraft, where they are coupled into the Automatic Flight Control System (AFCS). Flight-path-error data are also transmitted to the aircraft for cockpit displays to allow the pilot to monitor the system. The AFCS, controlled by the ACLS, keeps the aircraft on the designated flight path and glideslope while the autothrottle (APC) main- tains the approach angle of attack by controlling the throttle setting. Approximately 12 seconds before touch down, the ACLF generates and transmits deck motion compensation (DMC) commands to the aircraft. These DMC commands are introduced over a 2-second span at the 12-second mark to control the vertical position of the aircraft so that the aircraft will be in phase with the ship's moving flight deck.

In the final seconds of the approach, normally 6 to 10 seconds from touchdown, additional ramp input pitch commands may be applied to assist the aircraft through the aircraft carrier air wake or burble. These ramp commands are tailored to each specific ship and aircraft type during a certification and are based on the aircraft's measured ACLS performance through the burble."

Just a quick question. Will the ACLS that's coded in the module itself work only with the Forrestal carrier or will it work with carrier that is already in DCS (and the Nimitz that is being worked on for the F/A-18C module)?

Modules:

Owned:

P-51D, F/A-18C, AJS-37, NTTR, F-5E, M-2000C, Bf 109, Fw 190 D-9, F-86F, Mig-15Bis, A-10C, Combined Arms, Mi-8Mtv2, UH-1H, Black Shark 2, Mig-21Bis, FC3, F-14A/B, Mig-19, Spitfire, JF-17, Persian Gulf

Would Like to See:

Mig-29K, Su-24, Mig-25, J-8II, J-10 , Tornado

Specifications:

Windows 10 64Bit, i7-7700K 4.2Ghz, GTX 1080, 16Gb RAM, T.flight Stick X

Just a quick question. Will the ACLS that's coded in the module itself work only with the Forrestal carrier or will it work with carrier that is already in DCS (and the Nimitz that is being worked on for the F/A-18C module)?

It will work with all official carriers. We basically need to program the glideslope for each carrier's ACLS, but that's a fairly quick thing to do so we can easily add new ones.

/Daniel

Heatblur Simulations

Here's a little more detailed timeline of what occurs during an ACLS approach. It comes from ACLS installation certification manual.

http://www.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/a118181.pdf

"In a Mode I approach, the computer-generated flight commands are transmitted through the data link to the aircraft, where they are coupled into the Automatic Flight Control System (AFCS). Flight-path-error data are also transmitted to the aircraft for cockpit displays to allow the pilot to monitor the system. The AFCS, controlled by the ACLS, keeps the aircraft on the designated flight path and glideslope while the autothrottle (APC) main- tains the approach angle of attack by controlling the throttle setting. Approximately 12 seconds before touch down, the ACLF generates and transmits deck motion compensation (DMC) commands to the aircraft. These DMC commands are introduced over a 2-second span at the 12-second mark to control the vertical position of the aircraft so that the aircraft will be in phase with the ship's moving flight deck.

In the final seconds of the approach, normally 6 to 10 seconds from touchdown, additional ramp input pitch commands may be applied to assist the aircraft through the aircraft carrier air wake or burble. These ramp commands are tailored to each specific ship and aircraft type during a certification and are based on the aircraft's measured ACLS performance through the burble."

good info. which makes me wonder if we are going to have the burble modeled.

we dont even have jetwash modelled, so i think the chances arent good.

Could be remembering it wrong - but I thought the Viggen was the first to have a jetwash factor? I'm almost certain I saw/read it somewhere. :notify:

[sIGPIC]http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn266/JINX1391/jinx%20f99th%20sig_zps2hgu4xsl.png[/sIGPIC]

"90% of the people who actually got to fly the F/A-18C

module there (E3 2017) have never even heard of DCS

or are otherwise totally undeserving pieces of trash."

-Pyromanic4002

It's even modeled in FSX and P3D. I would be disappointed not to see it in DCS. It's a very important aspect of trapping on a boat.

theres actually a lot of things missing in dcs. like on the p51 the having to juggle the throttle to keep plugs from fouling and the oil pressure under red line doesnt exist. probably the biggest challenge in getting it started and its sort of optional

but not much for jetwash or wake turbulence so im curious if HB are going to try it since its 3rd party