I never manage to understand this game. Please help me out a bit

keem85

I lack understanding of even the most basic things.. I have tried many aircrafts, the free default SU75 or what it was called, I bought a Huey and a Spitfire now for example, and I tried to map weapons to them. But never once am I able to fire a weapon when pressing the fire button.

And then there is the Huey startup procedure. Tried to follow youtube guides, but nothing happens when I press the cyclic start button, after seemingly doing all the things I need to in the correct order.. Trying to play through the new Huey missin that came out, and there are no guides in the game. I did manage to close the door though!!

Furthermore I feel that I am using immensely alot of time remapping buttons for every aircraft. It takes forever to remove the automatic mapped ones, and then remap new ones..

Lastly, I bought the Nevada map on steam, but I can't find it anywhere in the sim.. Do I press instant action? campaign? All I can find is the default caucasus map

Stay easy for now...use the SU-25T, Caucausus map, and solve one problem at a time.

To fire a weapon: press 7 (ground attack mode), press c (cannon), and then press the space bar (or your mapped choice, like trigger on the joystick)

Your gun should go BRRRRT!

If it doesn't, solve it first before buying anything, or looking at other challenges.

Is it a case that you haven't armed you weapon system?

It's kinda like a safety no weapons will fire until you arm the system.

Control is an illusion which usually shatters at the least expected moment.

Gazelle Mini-gun version is endorphins with rotors. See above.

Currently rolling with a Asus Z390 Prime, 9600K, 32GB RAM, SSD, 2080Ti and Windows 10Pro, Rift CV1. bu0836x and Scratch Built Pedals, Collective and Cyclic.

I lack understanding of even the most basic things.. I have tried many aircrafts, the free default SU75 or what it was called, I bought a Huey and a Spitfire now for example, and I tried to map weapons to them. But never once am I able to fire a weapon when pressing the fire button.

And then there is the Huey startup procedure. Tried to follow youtube guides, but nothing happens when I press the cyclic start button, after seemingly doing all the things I need to in the correct order.. Trying to play through the new Huey missin that came out, and there are no guides in the game. I did manage to close the door though!!

It's okay, mate, we've all been there at some point.

For the Spitfire:

I would refer you to this page: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=135765

Download the Spitfire guide and look at pages 53 and 54.

The first step is to remove gun safety (it's there to prevent you from accidentally firing your guns if you press the fire button by mistake) by setting the Gun Safety Lever to OUT FIRE (LSHIFT+SPACEBAR). The second step is to press the “FIRE MACHINEGUNS AND CANNONS” button (SPACEBAR key). These controls can be mapped on your joystick.

You can look at page 20 for a closer look at the gun safety mechanism on the stick.

For the Huey:

For the Huey, I would advise you to download the Huey guide, which is located at the same link I sent you for the Spitfire.

I detailed the start-up procedure at pages 42 to 45. Pay special attention to step 32 on page 44, which is positioning the throttle in the correct position just a little bit under IDLE-STOP. This step is often overlooked in youtube tutorials.

Also, make sure that you press the correct key for the "starter button" (which is if I recall correctly called "START-UP ENGINE" in the controls menu. Some people have it mapped to HOME, others to PageUp... just make sure that you have the binding mapped to something that you know.

Quick and dirty tutorial for the Huey engine start.

For the Huey weapons, check page 72 and 73 for guns and rockets. There are three switches you need to set before firing the guns: the gun selection switch (RIGHT/LEFT/ALL GUNS SELECTOR), the weapon selector switch (2.75/7.62, which are for 2.75 inch rockets and 7.62 mm guns) and the arming switch (there should be a red light when the guns are armed). Make sure that your guns are selected, that the gun selection switch is set to ALL, that the weapon selector switch is set to 7.62, and that the arming switch is ON.

Once you have that, you can fire using the "PILOT WEAPON RELEASE / GUN FIRE" key. You need to have that mapped in your controls. My memory is hazy, so the term could have changed. Usually it's mapped to spacebar or something like that.

Furthermore I feel that I am using immensely alot of time remapping buttons for every aircraft. It takes forever to remove the automatic mapped ones, and then remap new ones..

Lastly, I bought the Nevada map on steam, but I can't find it anywhere in the sim.. Do I press instant action? campaign? All I can find is the default caucasus map

Hi keem85,

DCS can seem a little overwhelming when getting started, setting up all the controls and working out what you need, learning how to utilize many different systems on many different aircraft.

I recommend sticking to the one aircraft for awhile, are you new to flight sims keem85? The Huey and a Spitfire are quite hard to tame or should I say just fly well, without using the weapons or getting into tactics.

Lots to learn here, take your time and enjoy the journey and try not to get to frustrated:cry: it will take a little time to get up to speed, pick one aircraft, so you can understand the depth of simulation being done here by ED and 3rd parties for just the one aircraft, read, watch videos and try and understand the systems, most such as the Huey and a Spitfire are modeled on the real aircraft IRL, so when you get stuck, ask the questions no matter how easy or hard they maybe in the correct sub forum, there are many here that will be happy to help you understand things, we know how hard and frustrating it can be when starting out, your not going to learn all this in one day tho. :)

Download Chuck's PDF guide, he explains the main controls you will need on your controls for the specific aircraft.

What controls do you have keem85? I'm still using CH gear at the moment and for the FC3 aircraft I use this profile that has all the keyboard commands listed, it made it very easy to setup, there are many other great controller setup ideas around that might help you get started, that you then can change to suit you.

You can click into one of the columns to highlight it, then click clear category button, I generally do this first only for my controls (CH joystick columns)

Then switch to the Axis and only delete the wrong assignments that where set.

A guide on steam can be found here How To Setup Controls and Joystick

Depending on your controls you may need to add some Axis Tuning, see the guide on steam for more info.

We no your keen to get fully setup keem85, just take your time with it, have fun, it will all come together and there are many here that will help you out.

reweOCGJ_r8

Nky6dI5kGRk

Where to find the standard DCS guides, click on Thumbnail.

DCS_Manuals.thumb.jpg.a7b404ca53d1837ae4b296d87bb35531.jpg

Edited by David OC

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

By the way, before I go ahead and learn the advanced stuff.. There are some "easy stuff" I need to understand first.. For example, NUM5 always resets my VR headset view.. But when I map it to my joystick, it doesn't work.. I want this to be a universal setting, so that when I change aircraft, the BASIC settings goes with it.. Is there a way of doing that?

And, can you map gaze view click/drag/rightclick etc to your joystick? So I don't have to use the mouse always?

By the way, before I go ahead and learn the advanced stuff.. There are some "easy stuff" I need to understand first.. For example, NUM5 always resets my VR headset view.. But when I map it to my joystick, it doesn't work.. I want this to be a universal setting, so that when I change aircraft, the BASIC settings goes with it.. Is there a way of doing that?

And, can you map gaze view click/drag/rightclick etc to your joystick? So I don't have to use the mouse always?

attachment.php?attachmentid=171329&stc=1&d=1509345804

DCS_UI_VR_button_setup.thumb.jpg.46458f93fde88b8d45c8bfc6c72292f7.jpg

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link