Radeon VII, what do you guys think ?

Wow, so much response so shortly, thank you guys. Not to get misunderstood. I don't have a problem with too low fps. My intention was to present values for comparison. Could you post a screeny of your parameters, so I can set em up like yours to get an idea how good the R7 is ?

I use a Philps 43" Monitor, so maybe yes?

Oh btw, the whole system uses 360W including the power source itself, that's why I posted Specs. A 80 - 100 less than my V64 LLC :D

Edited by nobelieve

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh btw, the whole system uses 360W including the power source itself, that's why I posted Specs. A 80 - 100 less than my V64 LLC :D

I am a firm believer in more power is a good thing. I probably average 50% more power than the specs indicate. I consider it to be worth the extra cost.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Hehe, don't get me wrong cichlidfan. This RIG has some decent power, fast bitshifting wise, but I'm german and we prefer getting faster with less consumption :smartass:

Oh ha, I am german too and I am with cichlidfan, despite my whole house is LED driven and I try to safe where ever I can...since we pay like x4 what the US citizens pay for 1kW/h.

But when it comes to PSU or Lab-Transformators in general:

Once you serviced a few hundred PC's over many many years, you do know how important a good PSU is and how wise it is to buy bigger than you might think it needs to be.

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

Oh ha, I am german too and I am with cichlidfan,

S!

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Well the magic of AMD cards is, that you can set +50% power limit, then undervolt it, and run it at similar wattage as with balanced settings. :)

Do, or do not, there is no try.

--------------------------------------------------------

Sapphire Nitro+ Rx Vega 64, i7 4790K ... etc. etc.

30 eurocent per kwh...somewhere 4-5x yours

I should move...

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

I think the only point of the Radeon 7 is the high speed 16GB VRAM, the question here is, does DCS benefit from it.

I read a lot of post where people say that the VRAM in MP getting full, is there any more information on this available, how much VRAM be used in max. @MP?

Why in MP the VRAM use goes up? I have a 980ti, which only have 6GB, sometimes in MP it takes for ever to load the grafic ( Water, grass, than step by step parts of the cockpit and buildings)

I looking for a new graficcard, I was waiting for AMD, and knowing the postings that say 10GB+ VRAM use, holds me back to buy a 2080 or 2080ti, I play at 4k

I think the VRAM may help normally Sp I get between 5 and 7GB VRAM usage for SP and on MP servers I get over 10GB VRAM usage.

I would hang in there and wait a while.

Control is an illusion which usually shatters at the least expected moment.

Gazelle Mini-gun version is endorphins with rotors. See above.

Currently rolling with a Asus Z390 Prime, 9600K, 32GB RAM, SSD, 2080Ti and Windows 10Pro, Rift CV1. bu0836x and Scratch Built Pedals, Collective and Cyclic.

I think the only point of the Radeon 7 is the high speed 16GB VRAM, the question here is, does DCS benefit from it.

I read a lot of post where people say that the VRAM in MP getting full, is there any more information on this available, how much VRAM be used in max. @MP?

Why in MP the VRAM use goes up? I have a 980ti, which only have 6GB, sometimes in MP it takes for ever to load the grafic ( Water, grass, than step by step parts of the cockpit and buildings)

I looking for a new graficcard, I was waiting for AMD, and knowing the postings that say 10GB+ VRAM use, holds me back to buy a 2080 or 2080ti, I play at 4k

I suppose "nobelieve" would be able to answer this question by testing the game in multiplayer few times. He is already playing in 4K.

Wow, so much response so shortly, thank you guys. Not to get misunderstood. I don't have a problem with too low fps. My intention was to present values for comparison. Could you post a screeny of your parameters, so I can set em up like yours to get an idea how good the R7 is ?

I use a Philps 43" Monitor, so maybe yes?

This are my current graphics options:

5UWumF.png

Feel free to try them, though I dont think you will need SSAA having 4k resolution.

AMD Ryzen 5900X @ 4.95 Ghz / Asus Crosshair VII X470 / 32 GB DDR4 3600 Mhz Cl16 / Radeon 6800XT / Samsung 960 EVO M.2 SSD / Creative SoundBlaster AE-9 / HP Reverb G2 / VIRPIL T-50CM /
Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals / Audio Technica ATH-MSR7

I think you cant use SSAA cause of 4k. I only have x1.5 option, 1080p guys have x2 as well. You cant upscale the picture at this point when you have 4k. SSAA is definitely a performance killer in combination with MSAA. I dont even dare x4 MSAA.

But I cant decide whether MSAA x4 is better or MSAA x2 + SSAA x1.5 First one keeps my FPS closer to 100, whereas latter around 60 - 90.

AMD Ryzen 5900X @ 4.95 Ghz / Asus Crosshair VII X470 / 32 GB DDR4 3600 Mhz Cl16 / Radeon 6800XT / Samsung 960 EVO M.2 SSD / Creative SoundBlaster AE-9 / HP Reverb G2 / VIRPIL T-50CM /

Hi,

kind of a challange here, but ok ;) .Thought it's easy to copy exactly your setting Hiromachi, to display XUWG? on UHD not scaled just centered, hehe.

Then to aim right with the mouse at any button ...

In this training mission my side view of the flying SUs ramps up to 90- 112 bottom sky view, in the town behind visible drop to ~75

But the cockpit now drops dramaticly to 20+

With my setting on UHD it used 10,7 GB of VRAM, now with your setting 9,5 GB. I will try to find a setting with 40 - 60 fps, maxed out to "feels good"

And with your setting but my Resolution and only AA x2 I'm at 60 fps in the cockpit on ground. Nice, thank you :)

SSA i can't switch on even in 3440x1440

Your setting but my resolution it drops 10 - 15 fps less.

So my first guess is it performes like we see in other tests, it's around 1080ti and 2080, with my waterblock i can then add maybe 5-10% to it, cause i don't wanna stress it too hard.

But the Memory size, that was one major point I said. Not gonna fool myself and buy a card with less memory than the predecessor. Already other games use more than 8GB here like Wolfenstein and honestly don't like the spirit of this company since they are that big, so decision was easier and i'm happy with it. RTX I can't use for UHD really, so....

Ok I forgot your CPU and subsystem are way more powerful, so with this on par I could add one or another frame :)

Edited by nobelieve

Yeah, ultrawide obviously creates some trouble. I've heard there are some plans to get 5120x2160 (UWUHD) but I doubt there is any hardware atm that could give a reliable framerate in DCS at such resolution.

And with your setting but my Resolution and only AA x2 I'm at 60 fps in the cockpit on ground.

Great, thats exactly what I wanted to hear. Once I get RVII and TV I hope same FPS will be achievable. How is the picture at such settings ? I assume x2 MSAA is enough and everything looks sharp, without any jagged edges ?

The picture is incredible. It doesn't really show up in the screenshot, you really have to press your nose on the screen :) to see some sharp blocks and while looking outside of the cockpit, it's just as beautyful as I dreamed of flying F16 Flying Falcon last century ;)

Your system should run faster because of the new Ryzen and chipset. But in summer, when R3000 comes, guess what who is first running into the shop?

Gonna test with Pimax 4k also, but thats needs more time.

2.thumb.jpg.a83c9b42ff852a3502b191e6daf1bb71.jpg

I have had my ASUS Radeon VII for 24 hours now and flown DCS as well as other titles for the past day. I am seeing a range of 60-140 fps depending on the flight. In VR, I am seeing 45-75 fps (using default DCS VR Settings).

RAM usage is between 7 to 14.1 gb of VRAM depending on the mission and settings.

For me, so far I am impressed. I have another computer with an nVidia 1070 with 8gb RAM and the Radeon VII is smoother. At least to me.

I will let others judge for themselves, as I though I would share my obersvations. Can't wait for the Tomcat to see how that looks. :thumbup:

Intel i7-12700K, 128 GB RAM, 3080 TI, 26 TB of Storage

RAM usage is between 7 to 14.1 gb of VRAM depending on the mission and settings.

/QUOTE]

here we go...14.1GB VRAM

WHO said 16GB is nonsense, step out :gun_sniper:

Yeah, yesterday ww2 mission at 1440p consumed 10.1 Gb of Vram. I am more and more inclined to believe that this 16 Gb in case of demanding scenarios in DCS is not an overblow.

Fredm, do you use the same display for both gpu's ? I have recently heard that not only performance can differ but also picture quality at the same settings, and in some games AMD picutre looks sharper with textures better processed. Have you noticed anything like that ?

Hiromachi, I kept the setting the same, then experimented a bit. I will continue to tweak until I get what works for me. I usually kept everything on high anyway on the RX580, and got descent frame rates. I haven't flown anything online yet. Will try that today.

I also have done some tweaks in the AMD Radeon App that comes with the drivers. I also use AMD Link or what ever its called to monitor video stats from iPhone.

Fredm2002

Edited by fredm2002
Add more info

Intel i7-12700K, 128 GB RAM, 3080 TI, 26 TB of Storage

I see, I was more pointing towards Nvidia vs AMD picture quality. Ive heard that for years and it turned out to be true in some games, in some AMD had sharper picture in others Nvidia provided better expeirence.

So I was asking whether there is any merit to that story in DCS.

I see, I was more pointing towards Nvidia vs AMD picture quality. Ive heard that for years and it turned out to be true in some games, in some AMD had sharper picture in others Nvidia provided better expeirence.

So I was asking whether there is any merit to that story in DCS.

The first thing you will notice when switching is, that nvidia has more washed out look, but that is just a minor thing, you can tweak it in drivers. It boils down to the different way of compression being used for colors.

Regarding to the quality, I saw a proof in Battlefield games where it was better on AMD cards but that is a game that was optimized for them specifically. It looked like nvidia was cheating with details to get better results in the game but that is just my guess.

But regarding DCS, you will not see a difference. Only difference will be the slight change in the color representation.

The main difference when I have switched was that on AMD side I got rid of problems I had on nvidia. And it just confirmed my suspicion I had about it.

I use two monitors and a TV connected to one PC. Monitors are connected via DPs and TV via HDMI. When I upgraded from AMD 6970 to nvidia 980, my TV started to randomly not connect on startup, or sound was not working, I have bought a new cable twice, no joy. I was restarting my PC at least every other day just because of this. I somewhat solved it with active reductions. But I was not able to set my main monitor as main, the TV was always considered main in the post until I got into windows.

Then I have upgraded to 1070 and I had the same problem again! And on top of that I have bricked my PC 3 times with new nvidia driver installations in one year! I stopped installing new drivers altogether after that.

I just got fed up with nvidia and bought Vega. And I do not want to look dramatic here, but my problems were gone, everything worked on first connection. My main monitor was now main even in post, no active reductions needed. Best first impressions ever. :) And on top of that, when I saw what AMD did with their driver package, I was impressed, a lot.

I know that current AMD cards are not the best, but I suppose with the new NAVI cards on their way, we will see some improvements after a long time. Personally I cannot wait for the Arcturus high end card that will come in 2020.

For as long as I can remember, ATI always had the better colours and that led me to buy ATI cards in the pre-DCS past.

Glad to hear AMD has the same strength now with "ATI"