Cannot get landings at all - Page 4 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 02-12-2019, 01:47 PM   #31
Deano87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swordfish View Post
Its taken me a while but just starting to get the hang of the E-Bracket stuff, i get the idea but also struggle to get it stabilised. -not using the stick to pitch just feels weird to me at the moment, I'm only practicing carrier landings rather than airfields tho so I think its taking me longer.
I'd really recommend starting at a land base. The whole aspect of having a bigger area to land which also isn't moving makes it many times easier. Figuring out the Hornet and landing it on a Carrier are two separate challenges and its much easier to nail the second one if you have the first one practiced to where you no longer need to think about it. Just IMHO though.

DCS F-16C REALLY IS A THING! - BLOCK 50 BABY!!!

My Screenshots - Excited About = PointCTRL VR
Deano87 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 02:07 PM   #32
Akula

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deano87 View Post
Excellent advice on how to have a hard time landing the Hornet. If you learn to fly it properly its about the easiest thing to land in the sim. There is a reason they spent many billions of dollars developing the real aircraft to fly in a certain way, its to reduce pilot workload and increase safety. If you fly it differently then you just end up fighting the aircraft and its FCS system. The E-bracket and the FCS AoA holding system is there to make your life easier. Learn how to use it.
That's why I said it works FOR *ME*. I've never had to fight the aircraft..... I just fly it in and land.. If I crash I do it differently. That's the beauty of this game. I could care less how many times I crash and for me, it's more rewarding to learn slowly than to try to perform a task while all these numbers and figures and rules are being process in my head and I'd argue this is why the OP was having such a hard time. If if doesn't work for him, he can try something else. It works for me. FTFP and have fun. Get into the nitty gritty of it later.

Chuck Yeager was the most unconventional pilot of his time. Are you gonna say he was a shitty pilot just because he didn't follow proper procedure?
Akula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 02:09 PM   #33
Jonnie2Bad

Quote:
Originally Posted by LC34 View Post
Don't know how I will get trim set up so fast for carrier turns. How does everyone else trim it so fast?
about 20 clicks on the trim hat gets it really close for me every time. i just count them out. Might have to add on or two more to get it perfect.
Jonnie2Bad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 02:11 PM   #34
Akula

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deano87 View Post
I'd really recommend starting at a land base
Yes!!! Nail your ground landings first and then try it on a carrier. Once you start practicing your carrier landings forget about all the rules and just try to land the plane. Once you're solid with that move to Case 1 patterns.
Akula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 09:10 PM   #35
Flamin_Squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akula View Post
Are you gonna say he was a shitty pilot just because he didn't follow proper procedure?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akula View Post
Yes!!! Nail your ground landings first and then try it on a carrier. Once you start practicing your carrier landings forget about all the rules and just try to land the plane. Once you're solid with that move to Case 1 patterns.
I'm guessing he knew how to follow the procedures before he diverged from them.

It's generally better in the long run to learn the correct procedure and work on your technique than try to come up with a technique that works for the wrong procedure.
Flamin_Squirrel is online now   Reply With Quote