Navy's last F-18C squadron (VFA-34) sundown

nickos86

This Friday, Navy's last operational F-18C squadron was sundown in preparation for it's transition to a more advanced aircraft (F-18 super hornets)

No doubt that the DCS F18C module made me (and probably others) love and respect this aircraft. Now it will conduct operational missions for the Navy only in the sim...

https://news.usni.org/2019/02/04/navys-last-f-18-hornet-squadron-holds-sundown-ceremony-will-transition-to-super-hornet

Edited by nickos86

It has quite been a thrilling moments get to know this amazing aircraft more intimately through dcs. The FA-18C is a very formidable multirole aircraft from her history.

Her amphibious character, simplistic, modern and beautiful cockpit/avionic setup, flight stability and her capacity to deliver in both aerial and ground combat are some of the many features that has endeared me to this aircraft.

In dcs, the Hornet is getting more fun to fly by the weeks with addition of new features.

Yeah, it is my favorite aircraft in dcs right now.

Windows 10 Pro 64bit|Ryzen 5600 @3.8Ghz|EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra|Corair vengence 32G DDR4 @3200mhz|MSI B550|Thrustmaster Flightstick| Virpil CM3 Throttle| Thrustmaster TFRP Rudder Pedal /Samsung Odyssey Plus Headset

" That being said, Frattin added that the Navy had certain missions it only used the Hornet for, due to weapons loadout testing that had been conducted with the Hornet but never repeated on the Super Hornet."

“We have some unique capabilities that, I’m wondering who’s going to pick up the slack when we’re not here anymore, because for some things we do we’re the only ones who can do it,” he said."

Interesting...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Primary Computer

ASUS Z390-P, i7-9700K CPU @ 5.0Ghz, 32GB Patriot Viper Steel DDR4 @ 3200Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce 1070 Ti AMP Extreme, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe drives (1Tb & 500 Gb), Windows 10 Professional, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Warthog Stick, Thrustmaster Cougar Throttle, Cougar MFDs x3, Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals and TrackIR 5.

-={TAC}=-DCS Server

Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3, i7-3770K CPU @ 3.90GHz, 32GB G.SKILL Ripjaws DDR3 @ 1600Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce® GTX 970.

" That being said, Frattin added that the Navy had certain missions it only used the Hornet for, due to weapons loadout testing that had been conducted with the Hornet but never repeated on the Super Hornet."

“We have some unique capabilities that, I’m wondering who’s going to pick up the slack when we’re not here anymore, because for some things we do we’re the only ones who can do it,” he said."

Interesting...

Interesting indeed...good ol' legacy hornet got something up her sleeve?

Yes, thats right and they have FA-18A++ also, which are technically better than FA-18C.

Afaik they are only really better by haveing 2 colour lcds instead crt ddi but on the other hand still have older analog fuel and engine indicators instead of the digital uefi.

And the a++ are probably needing higher maintenance hours due to being older airframes.

They certainly arent better than the fa18c+ which basically have sh cockpit avionics. And the navy fa18cs are going to get better since there is q contract signed to fit up to 98 fa18c with an/apg79(v4) radar.

Thus apart from airframe age the usmc fa18cs starting in 2020 will be as capable as the larger superhorents and only be behind in endurance and extended external stores capacity

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z790 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 12700k ,Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64gb ram (3600 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia RTX 3080 12gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; Samsung 970 EVo, , Samsung evo 860 pro 1 TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD,  WD 1TB HDD