Anyone from Rotorua

pocketedition

Just in early days of using this program.

Lots of crashes, lots.

Looking through these forums for tips/hints/answer's whenever it feels "something isn't quite right" Lots of crashes.

It takes sometime before finding the right thread or post or just finding someone who speaks the same as you do. I see a plethora of people trying to help, but giving advice that although it answer's the question, it's in a different "speak". Yeah having difficulty explaining that. There is little substitute for getting, and understanding advice than in a face to face scenario. A one on one, personal mentoring.

Hence the topic of the thread/post thing.

I'm in Rotorua. And wondering if there are other players in the same city?

If you are not aware of where Rotorua is, then skip this post. This is not a prison thing, I'm not looking for a date, I don't want to borrow your lawnmower. I 'm thinking it may be handy to meet (in a neutral location) have a coffee, and bitch and moan about cross wind takeoff's or how marvelous these joysticks are and what a challenge this program can be. Also handy if one or the other has seen a bargain re modules etc.

If your not from Rotorua, well have fun flying anyway.

I am from the other side of the world, but I would recommend posting your computer specs as a start toward figuring out the crashing issues.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

AEF 161 is an Australasian community, we have a few Kiwis in 161 SQN, not sure if they're specifically from Rotorua though. You can check it out over at http://www.aef-hq.com.au/aef4/forum.php

DCS Dream Wishlist: 1. Better VR Performance/Performance Overall 2. Dynamic Campaign, 3. Fully Modelled: F16, F18, F14, F15, AH64, AH1, MI24, SU27, MIG29, EF Typhoon 4. Better ATC

cichlidfan

Here is an example of the "speak" I mentioned.

The crashes are not the computer or software variety.

They are the falling off the runway/smoke/flames/debris type.

As a result of player input. I do thank you for the offer of help.

We up in the Southern Hemisphere have our own way, I guess.

It must look awesome on a 4k monitor and all that gear you have?

illuzian

Cheers, thanks for that. I will check it out.

Buzzles

Ha Ha, it's not a town, it's a city.

And it's not a smell it's an aura.

It is lovely, but blokes here don't use that word.

Thank you all for reading and your input is appreciated. Just over a week now and boasting of TWO landings.

Yep TWO successful landings, read it and weep fellas. TWO. Yeah still "crashing" a lot.

Just over a week ago I couldn't spell pilet, now I are one.

Ahh, now I see.

The following advice is IMHO and others will have other ideas.

Learning to land.

When I first start out, in any aircraft, I set up missions where I am airborne about 20 nautical miles from the desired airfield, with a few thousand feet of altitude. I also point the aircraft around 90 degrees from the expected runway direction.

No wind and no turbulence.

Less than half a tank of fuel as well. A heavier aircraft is harder to land well.

I also tend to increase the cloud cover a bit. I find the clouds to be a useful visual reference.

From there, just practice and more practice. When I first started with DCS, and the A-10C, I probably flew several dozen landings a day for weeks (at different airfields).

The mission editor is quite easy to use, in terms of doing something simple like this.

Hope this helps at least a little bit.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

"The mission editor is quite easy to use"

Nope!

Wait, the mist is lifting. Great when you can learn something new.

Glad you got it sorted. I haven't looked at the ME manual in years but it used to cover most of the basic questions. Complicated and scripted missions are another story.

• 2 years later...
Ha Ha, it's not a town, it's a city.
Do they actually grant city charters in New Zealand? ;)

It is lovely, but blokes here don't use that word.

Well, there is a place called "Fairy Springs", according to Google maps. :lol:

Modules: Bf 109, C-101, CE-II, F-5, Gazelle, Huey, Ka-50, Mi-8, MiG-15, MiG-19, MiG-21, Albatros, Viggen, Mirage 2000, Hornet, Yak-52, FC3

Actually - not very often :).

There's only 13 (official) cities in the country (though some towns call themselves 'cities'), as opposed to 69 in the UK.

Edited by Weta43

Cheers.

Alright I'll bite Bro,

What aircraft?

What controls?

ME is not so bad although some of the icons take a bit of interpretation at first as well as knowing how to avoid setting way points after placing aircraft. ;)

Howe that Huey going,.. :thumbup:

Control is an illusion which usually shatters at the least expected moment.

Gazelle Mini-gun version is endorphins with rotors. See above.

Currently rolling with a Asus Z390 Prime, 9600K, 32GB RAM, SSD, 2080Ti and Windows 10Pro, Rift CV1. bu0836x and Scratch Built Pedals, Collective and Cyclic.

Actually - not very often :).

There's only 13 (official) cities in the country (though some towns call themselves 'cities'), as opposed to 69 in the UK.

Thanks. In the Netherlands, the last time city rights in the traditional sense were granted was in 1586. In 1825, a few places were granted the title "city" without an actual charter. After the constitution was changed in 1848, there was no formal difference anymore between cities and other municipalities.

However in speech there is still a big difference between "cities", which can have as little as 5000 inhabitants, and "villages" which can have more inhabitants than a neighboring city. Further, cities can often still be recognised by presence of city walls.

Modules: Bf 109, C-101, CE-II, F-5, Gazelle, Huey, Ka-50, Mi-8, MiG-15, MiG-19, MiG-21, Albatros, Viggen, Mirage 2000, Hornet, Yak-52, FC3

Well, there is a place called "Fairy Springs", according to Google maps. :lol:

The word "city" began to take on two meanings in New Zealand after the local government reforms of 1989. Before the reforms, a borough council with more than 20,000 people could be proclaimed a city. The boundaries of councils tended to follow the edge of the built-up area, so there was little difference between the urban area and the local government area.

In 1989, the structure of the local government in New Zealand was significantly reorganised. The new district councils and city councils were nearly always much larger geographically, and they covered both urban land and the surrounding rural land. Many locations that once had had a "city council" are now governed by a "district council".

The word "city" is used in a general sense to describe the urban areas of New Zealand, independent of local body boundaries. This informal usage is jealously guarded. The district government of the town of Gisborne, for example, adamantly described itself as the first "city" in the world to see the new millennium. However, Gisborne is governed by a "district council", though its status as a city is not generally disputed in New Zealand. Similarly, there is no "city council" in Auckland, though its status as a city is not generally disputed due to its size.

Today an urban area has to be at least 50,000 residents before it can be proclaimed as a city

IIRC Invercargill is the southernmost city in the world.

It definitely had the most stoned mayor of any city in the world.