Request to allow reputation in Chit-Chat

Yurgon

Since I've joined this forum, the Chit-Chat section has always been restricted in the way that it's not allowed to give (or subtract) reputation to any post in that sub-forum.

I'm not aware of any reason for this decision, and if there was a good one, maybe it's no longer valid.

I, for one, often find myself investing additional time in order to +rep people who wrote great, amazing, funny, insightful posts in Chit-Chat, by finding posts of theirs in other locations and then explaining why I +rep something that might not be rep-worthy in itself.

Long story short, can't this restriction just be removed? :thumbup:

To make this a little more juicy for the board admins: Removing the restriction would also reduce the amount of support for "Why can't I add repuation?!" questions in the future. :smartass:

• Like 1

+

• Like 1

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Bump.

Any good reason not to allow adding reputation in Chit-Chat?

(Other than investing 5 minutes in an admin panel? :music_whistling: :D)

In the past rep points system was abused by people. This is the reason.

Reminder: Fighter pilots make movies. Bomber pilots make... HISTORY! :D | Also to be remembered: FRENCH TANKS HAVE ONE GEAR FORWARD AND FIVE BACKWARD :D

ಠ_ಠ

In the past rep points system was abused by people. This is the reason.

Good to know, thanks. :thumbup:

I don't know what happened in the past regarding this abuse. Do you think it would be likely to happen again? In other words, do you think this policy still makes sense?

As far as I can tell, this rule is just a nuisance, but if someone could explain the reason to me, then at least I'd understand it.

(If this is not a matter for public debate, I'd appreciate it if someone could PM me about the reason :thumbup:).

In the past rep points system was abused by people.

Abused to accomplish what?

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Yes indeed. It is ancient history :D

However the policy since that time has not been changed.

Reminder: Fighter pilots make movies. Bomber pilots make... HISTORY! :D | Also to be remembered: FRENCH TANKS HAVE ONE GEAR FORWARD AND FIVE BACKWARD :D

ಠ_ಠ

Yes indeed. It is ancient history :D

However the policy since that time has not been changed.

You still haven't answered my question.

There were rep farming threads whose sole purpose was for people to post and for other people in the thread to rep those posts. If Chit-Chat allowed reputation, nothing would prevent those threads form returning. Even if a mod deletes them, the rep doesn't go away.

There were rep farming threads whose sole purpose was for people to post and for other people in the thread to rep those posts. If Chit-Chat allowed reputation, nothing would prevent those threads form returning. Even if a mod deletes them, the rep doesn't go away.

So what. It's not like rep has any actual value or cost to anyone.

The rep system already has issues that the rules don't address.

So if rep has no value, then why worry its not in Chit Chat?

Who's worried? It would be nice, but if we are going have rules about rep there is a glaring flaw in the system currently that could use addressing.

ED employees and their agents, i.e. Moderators, should not have any part in the rep system, whether giving or receiving.

The rep system should be a 'community your peers' function. ED employees and their agents are not our peers.

I think once you have about er 32 rep points you should be awarded a new module of your choice:music_whistling:

:megalol::megalol::megalol::thumbup:

• Like 1

Mission: "To intercept and destroy aircraft and airborne missiles in all weather conditions in order to establish and maintain air superiority in a designated area. To deliver air-to-ground ordnance on time in any weather condition. And to provide tactical reconaissance imagery" - F-14 Tomcat Roll Call

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

And what prevents such rep farming threads to appear anywhere else ... that could not be applied in chit-chat as well? Just define that rep-farming threads are off-topic, even in chit-chat, and moderate them accordingly.

• Like 1