Mission: Hover Practise

Telomere

Fun mission, got A,C,B in the first go. Now what I wander, and would like the IP to tell me during the mission is what are the criteria for scoring, and what to do better - was the rotation too slow, was the direction not held steady enough, etc. ?

PS. I practice my hover on those circles on aprons at Sukhumi airport, so the area in this mission was HUGE :smartass:

And BTW, we need those Hovercontrol hover circles:

hc_fs_4_1.jpg

it's fun to practice on those.

Edited by Sundowner.pl

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"If a place needs helicopters, it's probably not worth visiting." - Nick Lappos

Fun mission, got A,C,B in the first go. Now what I wander, and would like the IP to tell me during the mission is what are the criteria for scoring, and what to do better - was the rotation too slow, was the direction not held steady enough, etc. ?

PS. I practice my hover on those circles on aprons at Sukhumi airport, so the area in this mission was HUGE :smartass:

And BTW, we need those Hovercontrol hover circles:

hc_fs_4_1.jpg

it's fun to practice on those.

Definetly... There i learned my skills ^^ South of 4s2, on the small Airstrip is my SlingLoadBunker :)

Glad to hear people are enjoying the mission!

Now what I wander, and would like the IP to tell me during the mission is what are the criteria for scoring, and what to do better - was the rotation too slow, was the direction not held steady enough, etc. ?

I considered putting the scoring criteria in the mission but decided it would take too long to explain and be a lot of reading :P. So here it is, for those who are curious. Each second, you get one "point" for being within the following limits:

• -4 deg < bank < 4 deg
  • -4 deg < pitch < 4 deg
  • speed < 1 m/s
  • 0 m AGL < height < 6 m AGL (10 m for third test)
  • aircraft within assigned hovering area
  • (if applicable) within 5 degrees of assigned heading

There are no checks for rotational speed in the second test, or movement speed in the third test. As soon as the instructor tells you to change heading or position, you will stop accumulating points until you're stable at the next heading/position. So the faster you do it, the better, except that will likely make it more difficult to re-stabilise yourself. The scores are set to give you roughly 5 sec to change heading in the second test, and roughly 10 sec to move between each container in the third test.

And BTW, we need those Hovercontrol hover circles

That's a good find, I am going to go check those out now.

• 4 months later...

I feel like an idiot typing this, but how do you get the instructor to start the second test? I have yet to do many missions at all (I've watched the training tracks and done a bit of taking off, hovering, and landing in the practice training mission, so I'm guessing the "F10 Radio Added" has something to do with it.

I hit F10 and it just shows me the map planner. Do I have some binding set wrong or something?

I also downloaded the attached track that someone posted, and that thing didn't work at all (there were inputs, but it didn't sync up with the game... maybe it's because I'm on the newest version of the sim?)

Edit: Oh, and out of frustration at not starting the second test, I too found out what happens when you take out two of the grunts and chase down the hummer. I got quite a giggle out of that little bit of scripting polish. Bravo.

..just leave the Area (a few meters are enough)..and let the Guys re-position

I tried that. I went and hovered over the grass further to the right of the starting point one time and nothing. I also flew all the way back to the starting point and nothing.

Do I need to also land? The video posted above me appears to be an older version of the mission where it specifically tells you to land right in the middle (which I'm guessing became problematic if the player was in the middle of the square but too close to the edge for the guys to tighten up).

uhmm..as far as I can remember you have to leave the Area and the use F10 to call for the next step?! I`ll give it a try..

yap..just tried it...do the first exercise..then leave the Area and use Radio F10 to call for exercise 2, the do exercise 2

Edited by Lizzard

My Specs:

I don`t care..it is a Computer..a black one..

I hit F10 and it just shows me the map planner. Do I have some binding set wrong or something?

I think that's the problem. :)

You have to first activate the radio. The default key for this is \ and/or RALT + \ but could be different depending on your language and keyboard.

Once the radio menu has popped up, the F-keys (F1 to F12) activate radio commands instead of views. :thumbup:

Use ESC or F12 to close the radio menu.

You want to have more great fun with this mission open it and put the MI-8 in it and fly that in a hover or put the KA50 in it and fly that. it works fine for me when I put a different heli in it.:thumbup:

Ask Jesus for Forgiveness before you takeoff :pilotfly:!

PC=Win 10 HP 64 bit, Gigabyte Z390, Intel I5-9600k, 32 gig ram, Nvidia 2060 Super 8gig video. TM HOTAS WARTHOG with Saitek Pedals

This works on 1.2.5?

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

• 3 months later...

Yeah great one ! I just tried it today and got 60/60 at first, 6/100 at 2nd and 90/100 at third test !

I think I didn't understood well the 2nd ( with cardinal points ) as I did nice rock solid hovering and headed toward correct directions but... 6% is just catastrophic, maybe it's the fact didn't set my HSI on the compass before taking off ...

But very nice mission dude, I wish there are more of those ! ;-)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

CPL(A)IR ME/SEP/MEP/SET - CPL(H)

I think I didn't understood well the 2nd ( with cardinal points ) as I did nice rock solid hovering and headed toward correct directions but... 6% is just catastrophic, maybe it's the fact didn't set my HSI on the compass before taking off ...

Yeah, I think something may be incorrect there. When I flew it yesterday I scored 56/60 in the first and 17/100 in the second test.

My performance in the second test wasn't good, but I don't think it was that bad. Did one of the previous patches break something in the mission?

• 8 months later...
Yeah, I think something may be incorrect there. When I flew it yesterday I scored 56/60 in the first and 17/100 in the second test.

My performance in the second test wasn't good, but I don't think it was that bad. Did one of the previous patches break something in the mission?

Jeez I thought it was me. I got lousy scores in 2nd test so I never tried again. I thought the instructor was a fool so I armed my chopper and killed him;)

i5 8600k@5.2Ghz, Asus Prime A Z370, 32Gb DDR4 3000, GTX1080 SC, Oculus Rift CV1, Modded TM Warthog Modded X52 Collective, Jetseat, W10 Pro 64

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]