Alerax's LSO AI Script

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've followed the video instructions to the letter. I only get the grading system after I land... I don't get the LSO calls. Any ideas ?

Make sure your radio is set to the carriers atc frequency. If using easy comms, just call inbound or request something from the tower and it will switch over.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D / Asus Crosshair VI Hero X370 / Corsair H110i / Sapphire Nitro+ 6800XT / 32Gb G.Skill TridentZ 3200 / Samsung 980 Pro M.2 / Virpil Warbrd base + VFX and TM grips / Virpil CM3 Throttle / Saitek Pro Combat pedals / Reverb G2

oh so it needs to call inbound everytime just to trigger the LSO calls ?

Was under the impression that the sounds are set to sound to all similar to the VFA-113 stingers mission... I'm trying to avoid calling inbound on the carrier because the info it gives doesnt make sense anyways.

But I'll do give it a try. thanks.

Awesome Mod thanks, except I am never slowed to land now he he..... I really got to get on the numbers he he.

Sorry if going a little off topic, but the radio menu item to get the CVN details is really nice. How difficult would it be to turn that into a mod on its own? I am constantly forgetting the carrier heading etc and end up checking in the F10 map, even in my own missions (short term memory problem).

@Akerax Thanks you for making this mod/script. I've used Vlso on P3D and this is what DCS needs for Carrier Ops. My Squadron uses the Stingers LSO mod but that takes away 1 or 2 human pilots.

Now, we have tried out your script and ran into some problems. 2 ship hornet overhead 350 kts 900ft just to the right of the carrier. break at about .5 miles and 1.1 miles. downwind at 600ft at 140 kts maybe 1.2 miles from the carrier. Now I got WOP LIG and wingman got WOP TCA. which is fine. but that's where the problems starts. we were never able to get the script running again. did the overhead break again flew correct pattern.. nothing. 3rd hornet did the break and perfect pattern and no LSO calls. it never worked again and should no errors with the script.

Since there no LSO calls at the break. Can I suggest to have the script start at the abeam call. that's when LSOs start looking for the aircraft at Paddles Contact. that'll be great because if you wave off or bolter. you can just enter back in the pattern on the downwind and not have to do the break again.

thanks again for the great script

Hi 195th_Magic- I'm glad the script is beneficial for you and your squad. Really appreciate your feedback and the detailed description of the scenario. I'm about to release a v2.0 with a lot more features including fixing this issue and an LSO check-in at the starboard flyover. Expecting to release this tomorrow evening after some MP testing.

Let me know when you guys are flying, and I'd be happy to observe the issues as well.

Thanks again!

Loving the script!

I've also noticed (like Magic above) that sometimes it doesn't play nice with other aircraft in the circuit. Lots of "too close in the pattern" calls when separated by quite a bit of spacing. The other thing I've noticed is that the script seems to stop running after awhile. For example, we did some traps and all worked well, then went off to fight the war for a bit, and when we came back, we couldn't get the script to trigger again. Is anyone else having this, or maybe is it conflicting with some of the other triggers in my mission?

I've tweaked the too close in pattern to represent a 30s (originally 45s) separation at the abeam location. If this is still giving too long an interval, I can adjust as well. Will have this change with the next v2.0 update tomorrow.

Also with the script not working after a time, I'll also be adding "reset" option in the F10 menu to help clear some variables. Ideally, I would love to understand what tripped the script, but for now this option might help with these scenarios.

oh so it needs to call inbound everytime just to trigger the LSO calls ?

Was under the impression that the sounds are set to sound to all similar to the VFA-113 stingers mission... I'm trying to avoid calling inbound on the carrier because the info it gives doesnt make sense anyways.

But I'll do give it a try. thanks.

Hi arkroyale048-

The script broadcasts only to a specific frequency (just like how the actual operation works). Because simplified radio automatically tunes to the frequency only when you make a call in that frequency, you won't hear the LSO unless you call in to the Carrier (in other words, by making the call to the Carrier, you are changing your frequency to match the Carrier's broadcast).

Awesome Mod thanks, except I am never slowed to land now he he..... I really got to get on the numbers he he.

Sorry if going a little off topic, but the radio menu item to get the CVN details is really nice. How difficult would it be to turn that into a mod on its own? I am constantly forgetting the carrier heading etc and end up checking in the F10 map, even in my own missions (short term memory problem).

Hi TechRoss, not difficult at all, but I'd suggest you just load the LSO AI Script. It's really simple to do in the Mission Editor and even if you don't want to use all its features, you'll still get the Carrier Information Menu.

If that doesn't work, let me know and I'm happy to build a Carrier Menu only script for you and community as well.

Alerax, great script.

Would be a lot nicer if it wasn't totally obfuscated...

Some tips.

1) Too many data conversions - you should keep displacement/velocity units in native units (metres,m/s) then convert your thresholds from ft/nm to metres for comparison

2) why return velocity magnitude (XYZ) with velocity azimuth only in XZ plane... wouldn't you want only the velocity magnitude in XZ?

Any hope of you putting this up unobfuscated on GitHub so others can help contribute?

That’s great! Thank you! This is just what I’ve been looking for. :thumbup:

Some improvements I suggest:

1.- The audio messages are difficult to understand (specially for non-native English speakers) maybe due to low volume of audio files. Subtitles must help.

2.- It would be good an audio message when you enter in the pattern and the script is activated.

3.- A saved log file with the results of grading

In any case, thank you Alerax :thumbsup:

Thank you for a great script.:smilewink:

I have a question.

Even if the player leaves the airplane while flying in the pattern, the count of carrier air space of aircraft in pattern remains.

Is this a problem?

When I tried it with MP mission, the script did not function correctly after the player leaves aircraft after wave-off.

Hi arkroyale048-

The script broadcasts only to a specific frequency (just like how the actual operation works). Because simplified radio automatically tunes to the frequency only when you make a call in that frequency, you won't hear the LSO unless you call in to the Carrier (in other words, by making the call to the Carrier, you are changing your frequency to match the Carrier's broadcast).

Thank you for the clarification.

Will it work if I just set the radio to the carrier's frequency without calling inbound ?

Alerax,

Thanks for this new dimension in DCS. I was wondering if anyone was going to do this.

I agree with some of the feedback where people said it would be nice if you can tell if the LSO was triggered or not. In the usual pattern, I also think a good place would be in the abeam position, if the LSO can say "paddles contact" or even if just a subtitle shows up saying LSO activated. Same with if you are flying a straight in such as in Case III. I've flown a whole pattern all the way to the trap without a single LSO call (and I did have it tuned in) so I never knew if it was working or not. Once the only call I ever got was "call the ball" (because I'm THAT good in the pattern, haha) and then coaching to the wires--so I never knew it was working until I was in the groove.

If you want to do a straight in trap, do you still need to fly starboardside of the carrier to trigger the LSO? If so, can we change that?

Also it would be nice if the LSO calls were louder to begin with. I changed the audio settings to what you advised but I think in general it would still be nice.

Someone else suggested adding more audio calls, a la FSX vLSO. I agree. Your calls are great, but I can see one hearing them all over time and them getting repetitive.

I have a video on YouTube of a carrier landing in FSX using vLSO if you;d like to hear some of their calls (and see what they've been doing in FSX for an LSO). PM me if you'd like the link.

Great job overall, and looking forward to new developments with it.

v6,

boNes

v6,

boNes

"Also, I would prefer a back seater over the extra gas any day. I would have 80 pounds of flesh to eat and a pair of glasses to start a fire." --F/A-18 Hornet pilot

Ok. One problem I am having and I wanted to see if anyone else has had this issue is that the Carrier does not respond to calls using ViaComm Pro. It works fine calling the carrier in all the other missions but in this one I get no response. I am on the right Freq.

Ok. One problem I am having and I wanted to see if anyone else has had this issue is that the Carrier does not respond to calls using ViaComm Pro. It works fine calling the carrier in all the other missions but in this one I get no response. I am on the right Freq.

I am using the latest version of VAICOM Pro and the carrier responds to me just fine in this mission. I do use the extra step of "Stennis, Select" before initiating comms. Try that. If still no joy, I would try posting your issue in the VAICOM thread and see if Hollywood has any suggestions.

I am using the latest version of VAICOM Pro and the carrier responds to me just fine in this mission. I do use the extra step of "Stennis, Select" before initiating comms. Try that. If still no joy, I would try posting your issue in the VAICOM thread and see if Hollywood has any suggestions.

Same here, no issues talking to the carrier with VAICOM 2.5.5

Intel i9-9900KF @5.2GHz

MSI Z390 Gaming Pro Carbon

32GB G.Skill Trident Z DDR3200 RAM

MSI RTX 2080 Ti Gaming X Trio

40" Panasonic TH-40DX600U @ 4K

Pimax Vision 8K Plus / Oculus Rift CV1 / HTC Vive

Gametrix JetSeat with SimShaker

Windows 10 64 Bit Home Edition

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I am using the latest version of Vaicom. After playing around with it I found that if I use the command "Nearest ATC when I am near the carrier it works, but no other commands will connect to the Stennis.The commands work in every other Mission that I have loaded. This is the only one that they do not work in. I will just play around with it some more until I figure it out I suppose. I am sure its something simple I am overlooking.

Have you checked to see if there are any commands to import, I seem to remember having to update the command list in VoiceAttack to get the carrier I think. VoiceAttack prompted me to do this when it started though with an Orange warning dialogue.

Here's what it guided me to in the manual:

[PRO] Import F10 Menu: adds mission F10 (Other) menu items to the keywords database.

Enable this option and fly the mission: items are added as new keywords starting with ‘Action’.

Go to the Keywords Editor and follow the FINISH steps to update the VA profile to use the new

voice commands: using an imported keyword will execute the menu item command.

Intel i9-9900KF @5.2GHz

MSI Z390 Gaming Pro Carbon

32GB G.Skill Trident Z DDR3200 RAM

MSI RTX 2080 Ti Gaming X Trio

40" Panasonic TH-40DX600U @ 4K

Pimax Vision 8K Plus / Oculus Rift CV1 / HTC Vive

Gametrix JetSeat with SimShaker

Windows 10 64 Bit Home Edition

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

rephiled - the LSO AI Script does keep the latest 15 landing grades after you land. However, note that this is the latest 15 landings the Carrier sees, not necessarily your last 15 landings. So if someone else lands after you, it will be recorded and report as well.

Where are the last 15 recorded? Is this something that can be exported for tracking purposes? I’ve read through this thread but I can’t find anywhere the last 15 are noted.

I know I can see them through the F10 menu, it would be nice if the data could be exported.

Edited by TonyG

Have you checked to see if there are any commands to import, I seem to remember having to update the command list in VoiceAttack to get the carrier I think. VoiceAttack prompted me to do this when it started though with an Orange warning dialogue.

Here's what it guided me to in the manual:

[PRO] Import F10 Menu: adds mission F10 (Other) menu items to the keywords database.

Enable this option and fly the mission: items are added as new keywords starting with ‘Action’.

Go to the Keywords Editor and follow the FINISH steps to update the VA profile to use the new

voice commands: using an imported keyword will execute the menu item command.

I finally got it to work....It seems I had something that was corrupted in VA. I reinstalled it and it now works..It did have something to do with the editor but for some reason it would not let me edit anything. I had to reinstall it to get that to work again..

Been having an issue getting the script to work. Here's the current set up for the mission in the attachments. I've been flying some Case III's, I contact the carrier on button 18 (251mhz AM) and get a response from the carrier (as expected), I then make sure I contact LSO (same freq) and select Case III before hitting the platform (5k ft). I get a "Case III selected" message on the top right but never get the callouts or grades. Images are attached.

Here's the video of the mission:

https://youtu.be/5Yx-qizTRIw

I call carrier at 19:25 and LSO shortly after (above 5000 ft)

Time stamps are in the video comments

1671557828_DCSLSOPIC1.thumb.png.f7c6eb02c947f002df0db1529510b581.png

1108745661_DCSLSOPIC2.thumb.png.66862968ff2da29c2e7156541f1f100b.png

1243456672_DCSLSOPIC3.thumb.png.c64d65417aa35070f5a19d39d94a9b82.png

1515500153_DCSLSOPIC4.thumb.png.00c82fd048b474676cab350254edc53e.png

Edited by Pilot909
added video

DCS Modules Owned:A-10C, FC3, Yak-52, F/A-18C, AV-8B, AJS-37, F-5E, M-2000C, L-39, Hawk T.1A, C-101EB/CC, MiG-15bis, MiG-21bis, BF-109K4, FW-190D9, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, P-51D, UH-1H, Mi-8MTV2, KA-50, F-86, DCS:CA, WWII assets, F-14A/A+/B

DCS Terrains Owned: All

PLEASE MAKE UH-60L and AH-64D!!! :pilotfly:

Alerax, great script.

Would be a lot nicer if it wasn't totally obfuscated...

Some tips.

1) Too many data conversions - you should keep displacement/velocity units in native units (metres,m/s) then convert your thresholds from ft/nm to metres for comparison

2) why return velocity magnitude (XYZ) with velocity azimuth only in XZ plane... wouldn't you want only the velocity magnitude in XZ?

Any hope of you putting this up unobfuscated on GitHub so others can help contribute?

Thanks for your insights mdhoover- agree with the unit conversions, it was really for me when thinking about flight parameters. Also, not necessarily with the velocity vector. It depends on what you want to get assess.

That’s great! Thank you! This is just what I’ve been looking for. :thumbup:

Some improvements I suggest:

1.- The audio messages are difficult to understand (specially for non-native English speakers) maybe due to low volume of audio files. Subtitles must help.

2.- It would be good an audio message when you enter in the pattern and the script is activated.

3.- A saved log file with the results of grading

In any case, thank you Alerax :thumbsup:

Hi Pablon64- I'm hoping to release a new version soon. All your comments are already incorporated. Just need to do some more MP testing before releasing.

Thanks!