Vulkan API Discussion

snowsniper

Anything proprietary to a vendor, ED won't implement. That's been true for some time now.

As for when Vulkan will be available, I don't expect to see it until the end of the year at the earliest. Wags statement said that base programming and testing in about a month - as of Aug. HOWEVER, shaders being ported to vulkan would start after that. So, again, I would say end of the year at best. And more likely next year Q1.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

completely off topic but is there any chance we get DLSS in DCS?

This is all very new tech and not very matured, I'm sure ED will look at it all from a long term perspective once matured and integrated into Vulkan. Some could be easier to implement and utilize than others. ED could even use some of this power for next gen in game AI perhaps...?

We should just let ED get this great looking graphics core they have now all sorted with vulkan and I'm sure they will look into this new tech down the road.

I hope it all go's smoothly, I copied this chart together so others can see the old and new side by side..

attachment.php?attachmentid=192641&stc=1&d=1535201286

It's from this old talk "Vulkan - The Future of High Performance Graphics"

At time 27:28

vulkan_api_comparison_chart.thumb.jpg.c0419d8030ec75af2ceef7188484dd3c.jpg

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

is there any hope of getting a Vulkan experimental version in 2018? or is this too much to hope for?

I think Wags mentioned that they're basically done porting the engine and will soon start porting the shaders from DX11 to Vulkan and they can't really say how fast that will go. I imagine that depending on the level of optimization for the shaders they'll have to put some serious thinking cap time into it. Nobody but ED know their shaders and they can't really tell since they're doing it for the first time, so there really is no answer to your question.

Edited by sobek

Good, fast, cheap. Choose any two.

Come let's eat grandpa!

Use punctuation, save lives!

Vulkan API

It's not really a secret anymore that DCS is getting a Vulkan API patch in the coming months, but it also kind of is.

I dam near gave up on DCS back in April because lack of optimization, and communication from the dev team about it. After learning about Vulkan being implemented a couple days ago, it makes sense on why the same problems still exist, because they're waiting for this new API system to be introduced and then begin the optimizations that are needed(at least that's my assumption).

The fact that I had to claw and scratch my way to through forums in order to figure that information out is surprising to me. Why not come out and say that's the plan?

Any way excited to learn that news, and can't wait for Vulkan to drop.

Cheers

Wags has very much stated that it's in their plan and I believe it was mentioned in one of the weekly updates.

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

vulkan is coming, also Nineline has stated that they were going to complete some tests by the end of this month...so finger crossed.

• CPU : Intel i7 8700k@5.0ghz cooled by Noctua NH-D15 / Motherboard:Asorck Z370 Taichi / RAM: 32GB GSkill TridentZ @3600mhz / SSD: 500GB Nvme Samsung 970 evo+1 TB Sabrent Nvme M2 / GPU:Asus Strix OC 2080TI / Monitor: LG 34KG950F Ultrawide / Trackir 5 proclip/ VIRPIL CM2 BASE + CM2 GRIP + F148 GRIP + 200M EXTENSION /VKB T-Rudder MKIV rudder /Case: Fractal Design R6 Define black

This Vulkan API update is the most important item Eagle Dynamics can deliver for me personally. I have lots of aircraft i have barely flown and lots of new maps which look great, but getting steady consistent FPS with VR has been a real pain. I have a high end desktop but most of the CPU power is wasted as DCS only stresses 1 core and tax's one other. 6 are free doing very little.

I know personally if Vulkan delivers a large FPS increase i will be playing a lot more than i do now.

Well we are in september. Hope that ED have news soon about the stage of it. Maybe a preview from Matt, would be awesome. :D

New system:I9-9900KS, Kingston 128 GB DDR4 3200Mhz, MSI RTX 4090, Corsair H150 Pro RGB, 2xSamsung 970 EVO 2Tb, 2xsamsung 970 EVO 1 TB, Scandisk m2 500 MB, 2 x Crucial 1 Tb, T16000M HOTAS, HP Reverb Professional 2, Corsair 750 Watt.

Old system:I7-4770K(OC 4.5Ghz), Kingston 24 GB DDR3 1600 Mhz,MSI RTX 2080(OC 2070 Mhz), 2 * 500 GB SSD, 3,5 TB HDD, 55' Samsung 3d tv, Trackir 5, Logitech HD Cam, T16000M HOTAS. All DCS modules, maps and campaigns:pilotfly:

It was never promised this year and no estimate was given,

The last update was that the base engine coding was done, but now work is on converting the tousands of shaders over to the new engine.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

Thanks for the update. Hope the future is bright for VR! Instead of buy RTX 2080 ti and a i7 9900X and 64 GB ddr4. Well 2500 dollar upgrade. Just for enough power to play DCS full max in VR! :D

New system:I9-9900KS, Kingston 128 GB DDR4 3200Mhz, MSI RTX 4090, Corsair H150 Pro RGB, 2xSamsung 970 EVO 2Tb, 2xsamsung 970 EVO 1 TB, Scandisk m2 500 MB, 2 x Crucial 1 Tb, T16000M HOTAS, HP Reverb Professional 2, Corsair 750 Watt.

Old system:I7-4770K(OC 4.5Ghz), Kingston 24 GB DDR3 1600 Mhz,MSI RTX 2080(OC 2070 Mhz), 2 * 500 GB SSD, 3,5 TB HDD, 55' Samsung 3d tv, Trackir 5, Logitech HD Cam, T16000M HOTAS. All DCS modules, maps and campaigns:pilotfly:

I hope you all are correct and we get Vulkan soon, and it optimizes the game. I am another that say this should be THE priority. Even with a 1080 ti it runs poorly on a good day. The game is awesome in terms of possibilities, I feel it just needs optimization, stability and content from third party (campaign makers).

I've tried Ubuntu many times, but I don't understand how Windows 10 has more problems than a linux install that has multiple repositories and requires many, many command line items to run certain functions.

Its just the nature of Windows vs the average user. Average Windows users are their own enemy, on a platform that's specifically targeted for exploits. Linux is more challenging to get messed up in a passive manner. You only need the command line in Ubuntu to perhaps fix certain out of the box issues, or an occasional update breaking something. If you're not looking to do anything more advanced than internet/media consumption, on a Linux build that works fine out of the box there should be little CLI work. Doing actual work might take more work though, depending on the case.

• 3 weeks later...

DCS uses Open VR and should stay that way. OpenXR is just another standard that's not needed so some other people can have their hands in a pie that already has enough hands in it.

Nvidia RTX3080 (HP Reverb), AMD 3800x

Asus Prime X570P, 64GB G-Skill RipJaw 3600

Saitek X-65F and Fanatec Club-Sport Pedals (Using VJoy and Gremlin to remap Throttle and Clutch into a Rudder axis)

DCS uses Open VR and should stay that way. OpenXR is just another standard that's not needed so some other people can have their hands in a pie that already has enough hands in it.

I don’t know where you’re getting this?

Valve, who made OpenVR, is in on OpenXR, along with all major players in VR.

It’s a way of standardizing the VR/AR market, just like Vulkan will standardize 3D for multiple platforms.

Khronos group are behind both inititives.

Why should ED opt for Vulkan, but not OpenXR? It doesn’t make any sense.

Regarding the question about sinking $ into ANOTHER high end rig, I'm gonna bet on the mGPU support.

Vulcan 1.1 Release article from arstechnica

It's interesting to note that DX12 will supposedly support non-similar mGPU's where Vulkan does not. Up until the above article I don't see this as an issue as thru my own research its been standard to utilize similar GPUs in SLI/CROSSFIRE.

Gigabyte Tech. 990FXA-UD3, AMD FX-8350 8 Core, 16 Gig RAM @ 2200 Mhz, Radeon X480, Oculus Rift

Apologies if this has been asked before but would this mean a Mac/Linux build(s) is more likely?

Just my opinion, but I can’t see it making any difference. Bearing in mind the complexity of the game, I struggle to see ED devoting what would almost certainly be significant development costs for what is most probably a very small player base.

Let me put it another way, would you want them to stop work on Vulkan, the standalone server and a good deal of optimisation to allow ED to redeploy those resources, as that’s the probable outcome, particularly so as it’s not a one off task, there would be a need for ongoing support and development

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

I hope you all are correct and we get Vulkan soon, and it optimizes the game. I am another that say this should be THE priority. Even with a 1080 ti it runs poorly on a good day. The game is awesome in terms of possibilities, I feel it just needs optimization, stability and content from third party (campaign makers).

Actually, I find I get great framerates with my relatively humble PC, even though I run mostly high graphics settings... Of course, I don't use a VR headset, and I'm not the sort that considers 120 FPS to be "decent" performance... I typically get 50 FPS or higher over heavily built-up areas, and for flight sims (and most games!) that's plenty.

Better framerates are cool and all, but I *really* hope they iron out the stutter-on-weapon-hits problem. That's the REAL dealbreaker for me and takes most of the fun out of the sim.

AD

Kit:

B550 Aorus Elite AX V2, Ryzen 7 5800X w/ Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE, 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury DDR4 @3600MHz C16, Gigabyte RTX 3070 Windforce 8GB, EVGA SuperNova 750 G2 PSU, HP Omen 32" 2560x1440, Thrustmaster Cougar HOTAS fitted with Leo Bodnar's BU0836A controller.

--Flying is the art of throwing yourself at the ground, and having all the rules and regulations get in the way!

If man was meant to fly, he would have been born with a lot more money!