F10 User Mark query

GazAce

Hey good Pilots, hope all is well.

This is prob a really dumb question but I'm not able to find in my manual what the function of the F10 User Marks is. In the manual one of the points under F10 View Options has been omitted and is that because it doesn't do anything or what's the story, any ideas anyone?

Cheers G book.gif

:: 13th Gen Intel Core i9-13900K :: Asus ROG Strix Z790-A mobo :: Asus Tuff Gaming GeForce RTX 3080 Ti :: NZXT Kraken Elite 280 RGB AIO white cooler :: G Skill Trident Z Royals DDR4 4x16GB = 64GB :: WD Black SN 850X NVMe SSD 2TB M.2 (C Drive) :: Samsung 860 Pro 2TB SATA (D Drive) :: Corsair Crystal 680X White Case :: Asus XG349C 34" Curve G-Sync 180Hz 3440x1440 Mon :: Corsair 850W PSU :: Virpil Constellation Alpha-R Stick with VPC WarBRD Base :: Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle :: 3 x CubeSim ext mini screens with TM Cougar MFD Bezels :: Asus ROG Pugio 503 Gaming Mouse & Razer BlackWidow mech kb :: TrackIR 5 Pro & Cap Clip :: Win 11 64 Bit 😉

Hey good Pilots, hope all is well.

This is prob a really dumb question but I'm not able to find in my manual what the function of the F10 User Marks is. In the manual one of the points under F10 View Options has been omitted and is that because it doesn't do anything or what's the story, any ideas anyone?

Cheers G book.gif

F10 User Marks are little red circles with a note attached that you can place on the the F10 map with a new button at the top. These marks are visible by other players.

As they can been seen by others, they (like the F-10 map itself) may be considered a "cheat" in the strictest sense which is why there is the option to turn them off if you want to enforce a more realistic play style.

They are (to the best of my knowledge) a fairly recent addition which is why you don't see reference to them in the manual.

They are very useful when communicating ground positions between players including JTAC type roles. Especially useful for older planes that don't have a TAD like A-10C does. They can also be created by trigger events in the mission editor.

Edited by JLX
  • Like 1

3570K w/ 16GB, 1070 w/ 8GB @ 1440p, VKB Gunfighter/MCG-Pro & T-Rudder Mk.IV, CH ProThrottle, TrackIR 5, HTC Vive, UniversRadio, VoiceAttack, TacView Pro, DCS Menu Nav

F/A-18C, F-5E, F-86F, A-10C, AV-8B, AJS-37, MiG-21bis, MiG-15bis, UH-1H, Mi-8MTV2, Ka-50, SA342, P-51D, Spitfire Mk.IX, Bf109, Fw190, FC3, CA, Persian Gulf, NTTR, Normandy, WW2 Assets

F10 User Marks are little red circles with a note attached that you can place on the the F10 map with a new button at the top. These marks are visible by other players.

As they can been seen by others, they (like the F-10 map itself) may be considered a "cheat" in the strictest sense which is why there is the option to turn them off if you want to enforce a more realistic play style.

They are (to the best of my knowledge) a fairly recent addition which is why you don't see reference to them in the manual.

They are very useful when communicating ground positions between players including JTAC type roles. Especially useful for older planes that don't have a TAD like A-10C does. They can also be created by trigger events in the mission editor.

Thanks kindly JLX, appreciate that man.

So they're only for MP? I myself only fly SP and Campaigns and stuff. I'll untick it anyway.

smile.gif

:: 13th Gen Intel Core i9-13900K :: Asus ROG Strix Z790-A mobo :: Asus Tuff Gaming GeForce RTX 3080 Ti :: NZXT Kraken Elite 280 RGB AIO white cooler :: G Skill Trident Z Royals DDR4 4x16GB = 64GB :: WD Black SN 850X NVMe SSD 2TB M.2 (C Drive) :: Samsung 860 Pro 2TB SATA (D Drive) :: Corsair Crystal 680X White Case :: Asus XG349C 34" Curve G-Sync 180Hz 3440x1440 Mon :: Corsair 850W PSU :: Virpil Constellation Alpha-R Stick with VPC WarBRD Base :: Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle :: 3 x CubeSim ext mini screens with TM Cougar MFD Bezels :: Asus ROG Pugio 503 Gaming Mouse & Razer BlackWidow mech kb :: TrackIR 5 Pro & Cap Clip :: Win 11 64 Bit 😉

They fade over time if Fog Of War is enabled, don't they?

I don't think so. But I believe every player has the right to remove them, so maybe that's why they seem to sometimes disappear. The thing is, of only the creator could remove them, then someone might add a lot of notes to the F10 map, get disconnected, and then the rest would be stuck with these notes and no way to get rid of them.

So they're only for MP?

They might work in SP as well, not entirely sure.

I think there's merit to them even in SP. If you spot something and manage to pin down the rough location in the F10 map, this might serve as a mark to yourself.

You could later read the coords from the map, create a new waypoint and try to find the target again. Or something of that kind. In any case, I think it's a great feature, and personally I see no reason to turn it off.

I don't think so. But I believe every player has the right to remove them, so maybe that's why they seem to sometimes disappear. The thing is, of only the creator could remove them, then someone might add a lot of notes to the F10 map, get disconnected, and then the rest would be stuck with these notes and no way to get rid of them.

They might work in SP as well, not entirely sure.

I think there's merit to them even in SP. If you spot something and manage to pin down the rough location in the F10 map, this might serve as a mark to yourself.

You could later read the coords from the map, create a new waypoint and try to find the target again. Or something of that kind. In any case, I think it's a great feature, and personally I see no reason to turn it off.

Thanks Yurgs, appreciate that mate.

Now re-ticked thumbup.gif

Oh and I've been using my F10 Map a lot lately and scrolling zoom to targets Lat/Long plotting them into my CDU and it's actually been working really well and more accurate than my F7 key and plotting those co-ords, less TGP searching I find. Anyway I'm liking, cheers, thx again man smile.gif