Airbase Defence Mission? - Page 2 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 03-05-2018, 02:55 AM   #11
Istari6

So I was lucky and beat the Hercules mission on the first try, but it was pretty stressful. The victory conditions are straightforwards: find the Turkish C-130 and shoot it down. I'll give a hint that the AWACS call that seems to point you towards 345 degrees is confusing. It's not referring to relative bearing from your plane, but instead to the C-130s heading. I thought it didn't sound right and ended up searching someplace else and found the Herk. I'll let you discover that for yourself .
Istari6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 06:12 PM   #12
imacken

Sorry, when I said I'd tried that, I was mistaken. That was the one I can't even start! Pitch black, and floundering around with the flashlight, I can manage to get the engines started.
However, when I switch on the taxi lights, they go off whenever I move forward and only come back on when I cut the throttle completely. No idea where I am going as I don't show up on the F10 map and F2 external view must be disabled somehow.
So, I gave up on that, loaded the mission into ME, changed the start time to 0855 rather than 0455, took off got up to 30,000 feet and then nothing.
I guess the Herc has some sort of trigger relating to the original start time. I don't know how to view this or edit that stuff in ME.
So, this one is a total non-starter for me. How did you manage it?
imacken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 08:59 PM   #13
Istari6

I'm playing in VR (HTC Vive), so I was able to do much of the initial startup by feel. I know where the buttons are to get the left engine started, and once it's up and running, you can turn on internal lighting and finish the rest.

As for the landing light, I've noticed the same thing in multiple missions. Seems to be a bug with the F-5E module. The landing light cuts out during throttle transitions. I was able to taxi to the runway using the blue taxiway lighting and occasionally slowing to idle.

Once you're up and running, it's a cool mission. Definitely keep at it.
Istari6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 09:57 PM   #14
imacken

Nope, can't get it to work.
I'm literally flying in the dark. I've noticed that VR players don't seem to suffer the 'night bug'. See attached - me at 30,000 ft. Flying purely by instrument!
Issues are:
- taxi lights don't work at all sometimes, and at others go off with any throttle movement
- F10 map comes up, but my plane is not shown, which makes it impossible to see whether I'm near the restricted border
- F2 external view doesn't work
- can't get TACAN info from 31X
- impossible to know what setting TACAN and radio are on. Dial doesn't seem to move in usual way.
Various other issues. I think I'll try the ME route again to alter the start time to 0800.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen_180305_214532.png
Views:	179
Size:	775.4 KB
ID:	180402  
Old 03-06-2018, 04:21 AM   #15
tom_19d

Quote:
Originally Posted by imacken View Post
Nope, can't get it to work.
I'm literally flying in the dark. I've noticed that VR players don't seem to suffer the 'night bug'. See attached - me at 30,000 ft. Flying purely by instrument!
I use a conventional monitor and track IR on 2.5, your screenshot looks just like mine does in mission -- you are heading straight out to sea before dawn, it is going to be dark. It would be much safer in this case to stay on instruments like you are doing anyway, night VFR over water has claimed more than a few digital (and RL pilots) due to the lack of a discernible horizon.

Quote:
- taxi lights don't work at all sometimes, and at others go off with any throttle movement
This bug is reported, once Belsimtek gets their portion of the F18 done they will start paring down the F5 bugs again. A little throttle manipulation and you can find your way to 27.

The 476th has been gracious enough to release their pubs here. You start on the southwest ramp. If you don't want to taxi full length you have plenty of runway remaining at D intersection if you use the default load.

Quote:
- F10 map comes up, but my plane is not shown, which makes it impossible to see whether I'm near the restricted border
- F2 external view doesn't work
The mission creator can lock out these options and override your settings. (F10 own ship and F2 external views). Lots of multiplayer servers (including recently ACG Cold War) do this. Once you figure out your TACAN issues you won't need the F10 map anyway.

Quote:
- can't get TACAN info from 31X
- impossible to know what setting TACAN and radio are on. Dial doesn't seem to move in usual way.
TACAN is working fine in T/R on this end. In your screenshot something might be set wrong, I would guess the mode switch, as your DME and TO/FROM indicator are flagged on the HSI. Can you hear the Morse identifier?

Starting from the beginning, if you don't have things needed to start the engines mapped I would just ask for ground power- once the power cart is plugged in you will have access to all the cockpit lighting to help you find your switches.

Once airborne just fly the profile provided in the briefing-- 250 radial outbound at FL300. The briefing depicts this out to the 130 DME but you shouldn't make it that far. Wizard will start to call out the target for you, you get a message advising not to use radar but it won't hurt anything if you do and frankly could be quite difficult without it. You don't need the F10 map to stay inside the "border," just don't cross north of the 280 radial (again as depicted on the briefing chart) and you'll be fine. It has been since probably the first week of early release on the F5 since I last tried this mission but I believe if the Herc makes it much north of that radial you fail anyway, although I might be wrong on that. Once you have taken care of the C130 intercept the 280 inbound and head home, they have this depicted on the brief too- I believe around the 30 DME you move over to the 268 radial and take it until you contact the tower, they will clear you for a visual back to 27.

Like Istari said, it is a good mission, well crafted and makes you work on your instrument scan a bit...
tom_19d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 12:53 PM   #16
imacken

Thanks a lot for that.
I changed the start time to 0655 in ME, and the mission played out OK but I could actually see something!
I managed to see the Herc on the radar, just followed it, let a missile go and boom! It was down!
Tried to get back to base, just managed to land with the fuel I had left, but then... BOOM! I was hit by a Mig missile when on the runway!!!
I'll give it another go later.
Old 03-06-2018, 01:06 PM   #17
tom_19d

Gotcha. Even on 1.5 the mission was dark, it is supposed to be basically an instrument intercept, but whatever works for you.

Quote:
Thanks a lot for that.
Tried to get back to base, just managed to land with the fuel I had left...
Where did all your gas go? You have three 150gal bags on, as I recall I barely got into my internal fuel.
Old 03-06-2018, 01:09 PM   #18
imacken

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom_19d View Post
Where did all your gas go? You have three 150gal bags on, as I recall I barely got into my internal fuel.
Too much AB I guess on the outward journey.
I made it back, but that Mig???? I could have screamed, no, in fact, I did scream!
Old 03-06-2018, 01:19 PM   #19
tom_19d

Quote:
I could have screamed, no, in fact, I did scream!
Been there, done that haha. You might want to check your pylon switches to make sure you are drawing out of your drop tanks, even in your screenshot above you are well into your internal fuel already, that means you burned far in excess of 450 gallons to reach FL300. Something seems off there.
Old 03-06-2018, 02:13 PM   #20
imacken

Thanks Tom, the screenshot was from a test really. I wasn't using the external tanks.