Litening still coming?

Nospin44

So over the past few OB updates I've noticed the Litening pod has been pushed back a bit it seems. My question is, are we just going to be getting ATFLIR first now? After HARM is complete we really just need things like JSOWs, Harpoons, AG radar/AA radar modes and Tpod.

I've been very happy with the rate of updates for the Hornet lately. But what's the point of putting off ATFLIR for litening when there honestly isn't much left systems wise.

I wanna say the person working on HARM is going to tackle the litening pod once they finish.

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Amd Fx 8350 4.3 GHz - MSi Gtx 1060 6gb - 16gb DDR3

A-10C - AV8B - F-5E - Mig-21 - FC3 - CA - UH-1H - Black Shark - AJ3-37 - M-2000C - F-16C Viper - F-86F - Spitfire - Fw-190 - F/A-18C - F-14 - Normandy - NTTR - Persian Gulf

Whole point of doing Litening before ATFLIR is to bring targetting capability faster than previously anticipated.

Intel i7-13700KF :: ROG STRIX Z790-A GAMING WIFI D4 :: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB ::  MSI RTX 4080  Gaming X Trio  :: VKB Gunfighter MK.III MCG Ultimate :: VPC MongoosT-50 CM3 :: non-VR :: single player :: open beta

I understand that it has been stated wags. I should rephrase my question to why? I understand the answer will probably be that it is to get us a TGP faster. But honestly how different is the ATFLIR from Litening? I dont see how modeling a different version of a TGP saving a significant amount of time over another. And if that is the case. I for one would vote not to waste time on a quick substitute versus getting started on the actual pod the Navy used. Maybe thats just me though?

I dont see how modeling a different version of a TGP saving a significant amount of time over another.

Code is modular. The interface in the hornet and the pod's ability to communicate with systems in the hornet needs to be built, but the tpod itself already exists. I am making assumptions here, but its reasonable to assume that the interface and systems integration branches will be reusable with ATFlir. As litening already exists, that's a suite of sensors that doesn't need to be built from scratch, so its likely a significant difference in work. I suspect that the FLIR re-work may have some role as well though I've never seen ED say so.

After HARM is complete we really just need things like JSOWs, Harpoons, AG radar/AA radar modes and Tpod...

But what's the point of putting off ATFLIR for litening when there honestly isn't much left systems wise.

I think you are drastically understating the complexity of those systems. We really just have the tip of iceberg in the AA radar. They've been working the radar a long time, and RWS is almosts done (though a lot of the conveience stuff isn't in). TWS is a whole other beast, and I haven't heard anything about AZ/EL yet.

Making asumptions again, but in terms of new tech the A2G radar is a massive project. If you are not familiar with it, there's six primary modes, most with EXP modes, and much of the functionality doesn't exist in any other module. Heatblur has shown themselves to be a great dev, and they did a good job raycasting the PS-37 - but the hornet is exponentionally more complex. The PS-37 is analogous to MAP in the Hornet, the Hornet's DBS and SAR submodes record and process the 2-D returns from MAP, using the different angles as the Hornet moves in space, to build a three dimensional composite image. And you still have ground moving target, ground moving target track, fixed target track, sea surface, terrain avoidance, and air to ground ranging (I'm missing one...) That's a whole lot of new code

MIDS/Link16 is just barely implimented, there's a ton of depth to that set of systems. Countermeasures are a fraction of their full version (no ECM, active decoys), some of the remaining weapons like SLAM/ER and JSOW are on par if not more complex than HARM. the JDAM functionality in the Hornet is not at all like the hog

That's a lot of stuff. If the litening shortcut shaves time to release on these major features and provides ability to self designate I'm all for it.

just a dude who probably doesn't know what he's talking about

I understand that it has been stated wags. I should rephrase my question to why? I understand the answer will probably be that it is to get us a TGP faster. But honestly how different is the ATFLIR from Litening? I dont see how modeling a different version of a TGP saving a significant amount of time over another. And if that is the case. I for one would vote not to waste time on a quick substitute versus getting started on the actual pod the Navy used. Maybe thats just me though?

ATFLIR needs a new FLIR system. And there may be new features. For example, it integrates with SAR radar image and has hot spot tracking function. Tpod of A10C uses old FLIR. It will take a long time to develop ATFLIR, and many players want to have a usable Tpod as soon as possible. Litening can meet the needs, and it does not need too much time to develop compared with ATFLIR.

As we've said many times, the Litening will come after HARM is done. At a later point, we'll also add the ATFLIR.

Thanks

It must get boring saying the same things over and over again, gone on you for not loosing your shit all the time!!!

:-)

Win11 64bit, AMD Ryzen 58003DX, GeForce 3070 8GB, 2TB SSD, 64GB DDR4 RAM at 3200MHz _ full 1:1 FA-18C Cockpit https://www.youtube.com/@TheHornetProject

Would make alot of sense if what you guys are saying is right. I suppose if it really is mostly a cut and paste deal from the A10-C

then it would save alot of time.

It must get boring saying the same things over and over again, gone on you for not loosing your shit all the time!!!

I think it's a pretty reasonable question to ask about. Thank you for you're constructive input on the matter though

Hello, my 2 cents here.

For me whichever option that means we will get a TGP sooner is my favorite.

Dropping LGB's on enemy boats (with the aircraft's own sensors) is a joy of its own... which until now only managed to do with the Su-25T.

Hangar
FC3 | F-14A/B | F-16C | F/A-18C | MiG-21bis | Mirage 2000C ... ... JA 37 | Kfir | MiG-23 | Mirage IIIE
Mi-8 MTV2

system
i7-4790 K , 16 GB DDR3 , GTX 1660 Ti 6GB , Samsung 860 QVO 1TB

As we've said many times, the Litening will come after HARM is done. At a later point, we'll also add the ATFLIR.

Thanks

So Wags... Just to make sure I've got this right, because I know you guys have said it a lot but the concept is rather complex and difficult to grasp.... Now I think I've got it: So the litening pod will come AFTER the HARM is complete.... Not BEFORE but AFTER. Please correct me if I'm wrong because like I said, it's a complex concept to grasp this whole 'time' thing.

Which TPOD is more advanced? ATLIR or LITENING?

They are more or less equivalent.

The capabilities differences between the two pods are minor enough to be ignored for the sake of this discussion. Therefore, the decision for or against either targeting pod comes down to less obvious factors.

The Navy chose to standardise on ATFLIR for their Super Hornets but ATFLIR was only produced a little faster than the new Super Hornets it was fitted to.

LITENING is/was more readily available and cost 2/3 the price of ATFLIR.

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

So Wags... Just to make sure I've got this right, because I know you guys have said it a lot but the concept is rather complex and difficult to grasp.... Now I think I've got it: So the litening pod will come AFTER the HARM is complete.... Not BEFORE but AFTER. Please correct me if I'm wrong because like I said, it's a complex concept to grasp this whole 'time' thing.

Yes that‘s correct. The engineer who is currently working on the HARM will move to the litening pod once the HARM is finished. With the next OB update on March 27th it is planned (but not a promise) we get the last mode (Pre-Briefed) of the HARM. It seems the engineer will start working on the litening pod soon

Yes that‘s correct. The engineer who is currently working on the HARM will move to the litening pod once the HARM is finished. With the next OB update on March 27th it is planned (but not a promise) we get the last mode (Pre-Briefed) of the HARM. It seems the engineer will start working on the litening pod soon

I think you missed the sarcasm.

Just to clarify Danny, Ive been well aware the plan has been for the HARM engineer to then go to TGP. I feel my question and point was pretty straight forward. I didnt ask when it was coming, I asked for clarification on reasons for going Litening first...

Just to clarify Danny, Ive been well aware the plan has been for the HARM engineer to then go to TGP. I feel my question and point was pretty straight forward. I didnt ask when it was coming, I asked for clarification on reasons for going Litening first...
If I had to hazzard a guess I would say they are doing litening first because A) It will be available faster than atflir therefore satisfying our need for a targetting pod and B) because it is used by Lot 20 USMC hornets so it will be authentic as well.

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Amd Fx 8350 4.3 GHz - MSi Gtx 1060 6gb - 16gb DDR3

A-10C - AV8B - F-5E - Mig-21 - FC3 - CA - UH-1H - Black Shark - AJ3-37 - M-2000C - F-16C Viper - F-86F - Spitfire - Fw-190 - F/A-18C - F-14 - Normandy - NTTR - Persian Gulf

Do we get the older AN/AAS-38 "Nitehawk" pod with the FLIR on one side and the laser spot tracker or laser designator on the other?

That would be way more interesting than two similar pods (ATFLIR and LITENING)

That would be interesting! However I don't believe it is planned.