GBU without jtac

RagnarBSE

Yes, take Mk82, 83, 84 with you...

Seriously though use same fuzing maybe? I have not tried.

Intel i7-13700KF :: ROG STRIX Z790-A GAMING WIFI D4 :: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB ::  MSI RTX 4080  Gaming X Trio  :: VKB Gunfighter MK.III MCG Ultimate :: VPC MongoosT-50 CM3 :: non-VR :: single player :: open beta

Hi all,

is possible to use GBU 12/10/16 without JTAC laser but as convetional bombing? ho to configre fuzing and others parameters?

Best all

Hi

By definition a GBU (guided bomb unit) requires guidance in order to get a precise hit, either from your own ship (e.g. targeting pod) or another source (another aircraft or ground based).

The GBUs are conventional (unguided or "dumb") bombs with bolted-on laser seeker and tail fins

GBU-12 = MK-82

GBU-10 = MK-84

GBU-16 = MK-83

For fuzing, set your MFUZ to nose and your EFUZ to INST.

Wags did a good video on fusings earlier this year:

Apologies if you already know this, but it wasn't evident from your post.

Edited by epoch

This ^^^

But to answer your particular question these settings will work. I just tested.

picture.php?albumid=1089&pictureid=10721

Laser code is needed or you will not get CCIP solution but there is no guidance in my test mission.

Also, I missed the target (Smerch) by good 10 meters, either I was not precise enough or these bombs in unguided mode are not as precise as their unguided counterparts.

Edited by Gierasimov

Intel i7-13700KF :: ROG STRIX Z790-A GAMING WIFI D4 :: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB ::  MSI RTX 4080  Gaming X Trio  :: VKB Gunfighter MK.III MCG Ultimate :: VPC MongoosT-50 CM3 :: non-VR :: single player :: open beta

GBU without jtac

I do not know how it is implemented in the hornet, but a GBU usually is not dropped in a perfect ballistic curve.

You have to consider that IF your bomb goes active and finds a laser, it will start to manouvre, which will cost energy. As the plane does not know whether your bomb will find a laser or not, your only way would be to drop it with some extra ammount of energy in reserve.

This should cause your GBU to fall long if the bomb does not pick up the track.

As far as I remember you can select different flight profiles for your GBUs in the A10C in the weapon‘s profile. By selecting „ballistic“ you could do exactly what you want, but there is no such option in the hornet.

Edited by mcfleck

Hi

By definition a GBU (guided bomb unit) requires guidance in order to get a precise hit, either from your own ship (e.g. targeting pod) or another source (another aircraft or ground based).

The GBUs are conventional (unguided or "dumb") bombs with bolted-on laser seeker and tail fins

GBU-12 = MK-82

GBU-10 = MK-84

GBU-16 = MK-83

For fuzing, set your MFUZ to nose and your EFUZ to INST.

Wags did a good video on fusings earlier this year:

Apologies if you already know this, but it wasn't evident from your post.

I know, my question is because, in a mission, i haven't jtac and no a10 o harrier with laser but i have a GBU carried, so i try to bombing but also with different fuze settings an X appear on 82LG label in my stores page.

I do not know how it is implemented in the hornet, but a GBU usually is not dropped in a perfect ballistic curve.

You have to consider that IF your bomb goes active and finds a laser, it will start to manouvre, which will cost energy. As the plane does not know whether your bomb will find a laser or not, your only way would be to drop it with some extra ammount of energy in reserve.

This should cause your GBU to fall long if the bomb does not pick up the track.

As far as I remember you can select different flight profiles for your GBUs in the A10C in the weapon‘s profile. By selecting „ballistic“ you could do exactly what you want, but there is no such option in the hornet.

I would have though that on the contrary, you would want to drop your bomb just how you would if unguided, so that not to hit too far from the target in case guidance doesn't happen. For collateral damage reduction.

As for the original question, it is obsiously possible to use the GBU-12 without guidance, just use the same settings. It just won't be nearly as precise. Oh, and it doesn't really make sense either, unless you really have no choice.

It will fall and explode just like a normal bomb, though it may not follow the same path as its ballistic characteristics are different. The guidance kit adds considerable weight, drag, and probably affects stability in a negative way.

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro