New app turns iPhone into 6 DOF headtracker

Guys, I would like to introduce you a new 6 degrees of freedom headtracking solution. The only thing you need is iPhone, no need to attach anything to your headset, wear headset, cap, use cables or charge batteries. You just get very accurate 6 DOF tracking just with this app. See it yourself how it works with DCS World:

Here are some key points:

• Accurate head tracking from HD video at 60 frames per second using TrueDepth camera

• Head pose is sent to PC with zero lag USB connection - games react immediately to your head movement

• All tracking computations are performed on phone - no extra CPU load on PC

• Works perfectly on dark environment as well as on daylight - unlike infrared trackers

• True 6 degrees of freedom tracking - track head rotation (yaw, pitch, roll) and location (x, y, z)

• Compatible with any software using free OpenTrack Windows application

• Convenient to use - works without headset, extra cables or batteries

To use the app you need iPhone or iPad with TrueDepth camera; iPhone X, iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max, iPhone XR or iPad Pro (2018). The app is free to try, for extended use we offer in-app purchase that still costs 4-10 times less than hardware trackers.

App is just released yesterday and we would love to hear your feedback. Here is link to App Store:

https://itunes.apple.com/app/kinotracker-pc-head-tracker/id1451351654?ls=1&mt=8

How is this different from facetracknoir aside from being on your phone?

Good question. Operating principle is same, but iPhone has much better camera than most webcams offering 60 fps tracking from HD video. Typical webcams provide poor quality video at 30 fps or even less in darker environments.

With this app you can set smoothing to minimum for minimum delay without any jumpy tracking. And there is no impact on PC CPU.

If you have tried facetracknoir we would love to hear how this app compares to it.

If you have tried facetracknoir we would love to hear how this app compares to it.

I’ll probably try it, but unfortunately I have an iPhone 8 so I’ll have to borrow my wife’s phone to do so which is definitely not a good long term solution.

I do have facetracknoir currently and it works relatively well (for a $2 program and no hardware)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk