PLAYSTATION 5

Bradader

DCS, maybe not.

MACs, now that’s a different matter, and would feel to be a good fit. Would then be a good springboard into DCS

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

DCS, maybe not.

MACs, now that’s a different matter, and would feel to be a good fit. Would then be a good springboard into DCS

Just not sure it would be worth all that effort $ for ED (MAC / Console VR "Sell point" etc.....?) Would it still be very viable spending / using all those resources for a port.

Stick to what you know and what works for the clients you have now and in the future. If it could be done easy for a quick cash up? Well, sure. You would have to do the numbers and I'm guessing not.

EDIT: unless you can turn it into some kind of DCS MAC/fortnite. Wow that's some $ for a free game lol.

"Superdata estimates that Fortnite Battle Royale beat PUBG in terms of total revenue in February with $126 million compared to PUBG's $103 million"

Fortnite reportedly drew 125 million players in less than a year

Edited by David OC

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

It's a big sandbox, to each their own and the more the merrier. They should adopt the new MAC series to XBOX and PS5 as a source of revenue and to attract new players. It takes a long time and talented developers that are very scarce and in high demand to develop a full fidelity module. There are a finite amount of weirdos like us who will spend this much time and money flying imaginary airplanes. We're never going to have the same kind of numbers or budgets as GTAV, Assassin's Creed, or one of the trendy shooters or Battle Royale games that change flavor every month.

Consoles are essentially mini PCs that are mass produced. They have been for a couple generations. When new XBOXs and Playstations come out they are faster than a lot of the gaming rigs people have because of how fast this tech moves. Moore's Law is very much a reality as anybody who has tried to sell used computer components knows. Sony and Microsoft are willing to sell the hardware at break even to a loss because they make money on the software. XBOX players can now use a keyboard and mouse as well, FYI. Besides, the USB ports aren't a different special USB only for consoles, they're USB ports.

Did you ever see that movie "The Last Starfighter" back in the day? They need to remake it, besides the amazing state of the art computer graphics that Disney pulled off at the time, Spoiler Alert: A transcendent supraplanetary organization used video games to recruit new star fighter pilots to save the galaxy from the evil Zurg... Or something like that. I just IMDB'd it, it was the evil Xur and the Kodan Armada. Great movie, anyway. We need them to save our Galaxy. A typical teenager or gamer doesn't have thousands of dollars to drop on a gaming rig AND flight sim gear. What if a casual gamer wants to just try DCS without all the expense. There are a couple free modules, but my idea is better. And I'm pretty sure the developers at ED are way ahead of us on this one.

"You know what makes these birds go up? Funding makes these birds go up, No Bucks, No Buck Rogers." ~ The Right Stuff

I agree. FC and MAC would probably be simple enough to work on a console. And next gen hardware like on the PS5 is going to be much better than last gen. Especially when Vulkan gets integrated itl make DCS run even better.

This would be a great way to make more sales, and the people who don't care for MAC/FC arent playing them on PC anyways and can stick to their Full fidelity modules, but MAC does fill the gap between arcade and study sim by being a "light sim". Realistic FM and weapons but simplfied avionics functions to have no clickable cockpits.

Edited by Kev2go

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z790 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 12700k ,Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64gb ram (3600 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia RTX 3080 12gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; Samsung 970 EVo, , Samsung evo 860 pro 1 TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD,  WD 1TB HDD

Leaving aside the question of console hardware like CPU and GPU and optimization and even the basic difficulties in porting the code over and getting it certified, I still don't think it would be a good idea for basic business issues.

Console games are a very different market and business model. Console games are generally intended to sell a large number of copies relatively quickly, and for this they need to appeal to a large audience. It's fun to joke about Call of Duty and Ace Combat, but those are games that have broad appeal to large numbers of people who just want to have fun and blow stuff up with their friends for 30-90 minutes. A console game that doesn't hit a certain number of sales within the first few months is generally considered a failure and dropped completely.

Flight simulators really are a niche market, and the devs and publishers rely on a "long tail" market model. They're targeting a small group of people, and it is not surprising that the majority of people who own DCS also own the other big name clmbat flight simulators as well, and why there are so few of them available. It's just a smaller market.

while it's a smaller market, the retention dynamics are different because the playerbase is in for the long haul. their core values and consequently their expectations are also very different and will be at odds with the high turnover console mainstream audience. the two demographic sets run on completely different timescales for everything, from gameplay session length to developer response times.

I don't think that even the PS5 would be capable of running DCS at its full potential. If anything a simplified version of FC might be possible because it would target a better demographic that expects a simple easy to play games.

The reality of it is that the console and PC markets are very different markets as others have stated here.

My last console was a PS3. I was going to get a PS4 after they had launched but at the time I needed a new PC mostly for college work. So I decided to just get a gaming PC as it would be more useful because it fulfilled two needs. After discovering the perks of PC gaming I have not had a need for a console since then.

Each platform has its cons and its pros. So I recommend just getting a gaming PC and later on you can get a PS5 when it has been out for a while and has come down in price.

Edited by Evoman

This is for anyone who actually read this...

e4039c70-1381-0133-50aa-0ec273752cbd.gif

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

I don't think that even the PS5 would be capable of running DCS at its full potential. If anything a simplified version of FC might be possible because it would target a better demographic that expects a simple easy to play games.

The reality of it is that the console and PC markets are very different markets as others have stated here.

My last console was a PS3. I was going to get a PS4 after they had launched but at the time I needed a new PC mostly for college work. So I decided to just get a gaming PC as it would be more useful because it fulfilled two needs. After discovering the perks of PC gaming I have not had a need for a console since then.

Each platform has its cons and its pros. So I recommend just getting a gaming PC and later on you can get a PS5 when it has been out for a while and has come down in price.

i have both a "gaming" PC and PS4 Pro ( for the exclusives not present on PC), although i do use my pc far more in general ( even gaming alone) and i would otherwise agree that if i had to choose between one of the two i would choose my current PC.

But i wouldn't oppose FC/MAC for a next gen console. Id want ED for wider exposure and make more $$$, as they have deemed it viable to make successor to FC, MAC for the PC. FC/MAC It fills that area of Flight simming where people are interested in high fidelity FM and weapons, but don't want to flip switches. ( Ie simplified avionics) and possibly those who wnat to fly with keyboard/mouse. At least based on on perception It appears a less niche than the full fidelity study level of Flight simming

Edited by Kev2go

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z790 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 12700k ,Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64gb ram (3600 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia RTX 3080 12gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; Samsung 970 EVo, , Samsung evo 860 pro 1 TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD,  WD 1TB HDD

The person is only making a point about a new platform, is there really any need to ridicule the person for that ?

Mizzy

Seems like the whole thread is an answer to your question. :music_whistling:

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).