Question

Coxy_99

Its ok having 10 people flying F-14 in a small mission, But once its released and you have 60 people in F-14s how the hell is a server going to cope in MP (Example blueflag etc) Im just really curious actually.

Has this been tested at all? Maybe apert from ED doing the MP test awhile back for data collection.

Its ok having 10 people flying F-14 in a small mission, But once its released and you have 60 people in F-14s how the hell is a server going to cope in MP (Example blueflag etc) Im just really curious actually.

Has this been tested at all? Maybe apert from ED doing the MP test awhile back for data collection.

Why do you think it would take up any more server resources than any other DCS module? Because of multicrew?

Current specs: Windows 10 Home 64bit, i5-9600K @ 3.7 Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB Samsung EVO 860 M.2 SSD, GAINWARD RTX2060 6GB, Oculus Rift S, MS FFB2 Sidewinder + Warthog Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Pro rudder pedals.

The amount of players etc its more complex, Its multi crew running off the net code straining servers? Im not having a dig because thats what it looks like, I also have brought the module becuase well i like it. Just interested, If servers can or could disable 2nd seat etc.

The amount of players etc its more complex, Its multi crew running off the net code straining servers? Im not having a dig because thats what it looks like, I also have brought the module becuase well i like it. Just interested, If servers can or could disable 2nd seat etc.

The server is limited by the number of players, not planes. I don't know if multicrew has a significant performance impact on the server side of things, but the problem is definitely not one of player limits.

The worst I could imagine would be latency problems between the server, the pilot and the rio, and that is something that Heatblur would have very little control over, however they have said that you as the pilot have the final say on whether someone can jump in your aircraft in the back seat.

Current specs: Windows 10 Home 64bit, i5-9600K @ 3.7 Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB Samsung EVO 860 M.2 SSD, GAINWARD RTX2060 6GB, Oculus Rift S, MS FFB2 Sidewinder + Warthog Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Pro rudder pedals.

Well not exactly, there will be some extra server overhead if you think about it.

You've got the RIOs seat which position will also need to be updated together with the pilot seat, that is to say the position in 3D space and the direction they're going will need to be updated to 2 clients for 1 aircraft. Also, there can't be (much) desynch between these clients but that's a general thing on servers regardless.

More overhead comes from synchronizing the things the players do with respect to their aircraft, the RIO flipping switches will affect the pilot system left and right and when the pilot does something, it goes the other way around.

All in all, if the server has to handle this workload, it's safe to assume there is some extra overhead unless synchronizing the clients is handled in a P2P way.

How much extra overhead? You tell me.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Commodore 64 | MOS6510 | VIC-II | SID6581 | DD 1541 | KCS Power Cartridge | 64Kb | 32Kb external | Arcade Turbo

Well not exactly, there will be some extra server overhead if you think about it.

You've got the RIOs seat which position will also need to be updated together with the pilot seat, that is to say the position in 3D space and the direction they're going will need to be updated to 2 clients for 1 aircraft. Also, there can't be (much) desynch between these clients but that's a general thing on servers regardless.

More overhead comes from synchronizing the things the players do with respect to their aircraft, the RIO flipping switches will affect the pilot system left and right and when the pilot does something, it goes the other way around.

All in all, if the server has to handle this workload, it's safe to assume there is some extra overhead unless synchronizing the clients is handled in a P2P way.

How much extra overhead? You tell me.

It will be the same.... the same number of pilots that are on every night will be on. Even if they Pilot / RIO it, there will still be the same crowd of people.

Strike

USLANTCOM.com

stepped_with_391_new_small.png

i7-9700K OC 5GHz| MSI MPG Z390 GAMING PRO CARBON | 32GB DDR4 3200 | GTX 3090 | Samsung SSD | HP Reverb G2 | VIRPIL Alpha | VIRPIL Blackhawk | HOTAS Warthog

Our latest stress test was 30 people, with some multicrewing, some not. It was fine.

Multicrew should not stress servers more than an aircraft. Perhaps even less.

It remains to be seen what performance is like on a 60 person server.

Thats what im saying with a heavy server like blueflag buddy spike server (Example) And many other servers. Maybe as request Heatblur could test this more? I just dont think servers could cope thats all. Warping, Lagging and Dysnc.

Thats what im saying with a heavy server like blueflag buddy spike server (Example) And many other servers. Maybe as request Heatblur could test this more? I just dont think servers could cope thats all. Warping, Lagging and Dysnc.

Well, based on his above statement, it will be no different than anything else. Even less some....

Strike

USLANTCOM.com

i7-9700K OC 5GHz| MSI MPG Z390 GAMING PRO CARBON | 32GB DDR4 3200 | GTX 3090 | Samsung SSD | HP Reverb G2 | VIRPIL Alpha | VIRPIL Blackhawk | HOTAS Warthog

Only time will tell, Im not optimistic tho, Hopefully im proved wrong.

Just making basic inferences based off of the information Cobra provided, you can come to a fairly easy conclusion.

Strike

USLANTCOM.com

Our latest stress test was 30 people, with some multicrewing, some not. It was fine.

I mean, if you need more people to test a busier multiplayer environment, I have plenty of free time. :music_whistling::pilotfly:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I volunteer to assist with testing that :)

I’ve already purchased the Tomcat!