Upgraded from GTX970 to RTX2060!

OnlyforDCS

As the title says, today I upgraded to the RTX2060. Primarily due to the terrible performance I've had in the Tomcat in multiplayer compared to singleplayer (which mostly worked fine).

Since this has fixed all my performance problems in multiplayer (except for the texture pop in, it's still there) this has confirmed my suspicions that the Tomcat uses significantly more VRAM compared to other modules.

I game in 1080p and so far have had no performance issues with the GTX970 with any of the other DCS modules. The Tomcat however brought my system to it's knees in the multiplayer arena.

This thread is meant as a warning or to help those with 4GB or lower graphics cards. If you are having issues with this module in multiplayer, the reason is your graphics card.

I don't know if Heatblur can further optimize this, but in the meantime until you can afford to upgrade there are a couple of things you can do to at least enjoy this module in single player and in light multiplayer servers.

Turn off ALL Antialiasing.

Set Water detail to Low.

Set clutter to 0, and lower your max preload radius to 80%, and trees to 50%

Set all shadows to Flat Only. Both in cockpit and in the world outside.

Last but not least, if all else fails, drop your world texture levels.

You can of course lower your cokpit textures however to me this is not worth the trade-off in looks. This too can significanlty affect performance but if you follow my advice this might not be necessary to get acceptable framerates in singleplayer at least.

Edited by OnlyforDCS

Current specs: Windows 10 Home 64bit, i5-9600K @ 3.7 Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB Samsung EVO 860 M.2 SSD, GAINWARD RTX2060 6GB, Oculus Rift S, MS FFB2 Sidewinder + Warthog Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Pro rudder pedals.

Thanks for sharing the experience .. I've a gtx970 and havent been able to upgrade yet.

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

Don't tell me about it.

I'm downloading it now, and I'm imagining how will it run on my PC...

Do you people recommend I change GPU or HDD first ?

(Can't manage to change the 2 at the same time.)

Hangar
FC3 | F-14A/B | F-16C | F/A-18C | MiG-21bis | Mirage 2000C ... ... JA 37 | Kfir | MiG-23 | Mirage IIIE
Mi-8 MTV2

system
i7-4790 K , 16 GB DDR3 , GTX 1660 Ti 6GB , Samsung 860 QVO 1TB

GPU:thumbsup:

System:

Asus TUF Z390-Pro Gaming/ Intel i5-9600k@ Coffeelake 9a Gen/ Water Cooler Corsair Hydro H45/ Corsair Vengeance Lpx 32Gb 3200Mhz/ EVGA GeForce RX 2070 Super 8Gb Gddr6 256Bits/ 1 SSd M2 3gen 1Tb Xpg/ Headset Corsair + SoundCloud BlasterX Pro Gaming AE-5 / Corsair HX1000i W Plus Platinum/ Case Corsair Gamer Series Obsidiam 500D/ LG 32" 4k Monitor Dp/ Track Ir5 w/Clip Pro/ Saitek Hino X56

@Top Jockey: your 4790 is better shaped to run this than your GTX770. GPU first in your case.

i7 - 9700K | 32 GB DDR4 3200 | RTX 2080 | VKB Gunfighter Mk II /w MCG Pro | Virpil T-50CM2 Throttle | TrackIR 5 | VKB Mk. IV

AJS-37 | A/V-8B | A-10C | F-14A/B | F-16C | F-18C | F-86F | FC3 | JF-17 | Ka-50 | L-39 | Mi-8 | MiG-15bis | MiG-19 | MiG-21bis | M2000-C | P-51D | Spitfire LF Mk. IX | UH-1H

Don't tell me about it.

Im afraid with 2 GB of VRAM you will probably only manage to load up the single player missions and they will not run well. Follow my advice and drop your settings but definitely get a graphics card upgrade before anything else. My recommendation is anything with 6GB of VRAM or more.

Current specs: Windows 10 Home 64bit, i5-9600K @ 3.7 Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB Samsung EVO 860 M.2 SSD, GAINWARD RTX2060 6GB, Oculus Rift S, MS FFB2 Sidewinder + Warthog Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Pro rudder pedals.

I run DCS on 1080P, dual screen (only one for DCS) with an i5-6600K, 16Gb ram and a GTX770.

I may have low settings but I run DCS fine, PS or MP (playing in a VW with a lot of pilots and units).

Sure, it's slow at times but still manageable, I usually fly the Mi-8 or KA-50 or play as human JTAC.

Going to upgrade to 32Gb of Ram and maybe a second-hand 1070 in due time.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Commodore 64 | MOS6510 | VIC-II | SID6581 | DD 1541 | KCS Power Cartridge | 64Kb | 32Kb external | Arcade Turbo

I'm running a 980m (about like 970 deskop card). It works, even in VR. But my settings aren't particularly high. But its a laptop so no easy upgrade for me...

Edited by Harlikwin

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

I don't believe the Tomcat is the only reason for these load times.

I'm talking load times, not texture pop in.

These load times happen no matter what aircraft I choose. There must be something wrong on ED side.

For example, the black screen on the briefing screen is a new thing.

Load times like this were never an issue a few months ago.

Yes, I agree! I have a Titan X, 32GB of RAM, and no issues at all. I see no differences between the F-14 and any other aircraft (apart from its awesomeness). My friend has 1080 and 32GB of RAM and he has horrendous load times.

We're both running off SSD and both have fast CPUs.

The main difference between our setups is my internet connection is much faster; he's running Windows 10 and I have Windows 7.

ROG PG348Q, 3930K @ 4.2GHz, Titan X, 32GB RAM

Yeah Im talking about pure performance here not load times. While it was fine in single-player, it was almost unplayable in multiplayer. (Only in the Tomcat, the other modules worked better). Especially on the ground.

In the air it was better, but there were still occasional frame drops or even freezes whenever something was going on which made me suspect that my GTX970 was simply bottlenecking my system as it streamed textures and effects during flight.

I've seen reports of some reports of people using 970s with no such issues, but most people who are reporting performance issues seem to have older graphics cards with 4GB or less VRAM.

I'm running a 980m (about like 970 deskop card). It works, even in VR. But my settings aren't particularly high. But its a laptop so no easy upgrade for me...
VR on a 980M? I am thinking my laptop with Gtx1060 max Q 6g vram would not do badly in VR with low setting.
Edited by Eaglewings

Windows 10 Pro 64bit|Ryzen 5600 @3.8Ghz|EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra|Corair vengence 32G DDR4 @3200mhz|MSI B550|Thrustmaster Flightstick| Virpil CM3 Throttle| Thrustmaster TFRP Rudder Pedal /Samsung Odyssey Plus Headset

Hello again,

Thank you all for your insight - I see a GPU is more a priority than an SSD.

Well let me tell you how my first experience in the Tomcat, with the PC specs you see in my signature went:

- did a disk defrag before downloading the module

- the sim loaded normaly

- created a simple mission in Caucasus, only my F-14

- no other units of any kind

- it took some 30 seconds to load from map/mission planner to mission start

- flew around some 5 minutes around the scenario without perceptible stutters, but then I got distracted inside the cockpit and crashed on the ground (Goose is dead, now Jester is dead also...)

- got out of the mission to the menus without problems

- the only "issue" was... getting out of the sim to the desktop - that's where a freezing black screen appeared (with my FPS notes fixed), and had to turn-off my PC at the power button.

My system (graphics) options in the image below.

img1.thumb.jpg.588aee0bf2e0338b9cec315691694b2a.jpg

Hangar
FC3 | F-14A/B | F-16C | F/A-18C | MiG-21bis | Mirage 2000C ... ... JA 37 | Kfir | MiG-23 | Mirage IIIE
Mi-8 MTV2

system

As the title says, today I upgraded to the RTX2060. Primarily due to the terrible performance I've had in the Tomcat in multiplayer compared to singleplayer (which mostly worked fine).

Since this has fixed all my performance problems in multiplayer (except for the texture pop in, it's still there) this has confirmed my suspicions that the Tomcat uses significantly more VRAM compared to other modules.

I game in 1080p and so far have had no performance issues with the GTX970 with any of the other DCS modules. The Tomcat however brought my system to it's knees in the multiplayer arena.

This thread is meant as a warning or to help those with 4GB or lower graphics cards. If you are having issues with this module in multiplayer, the reason is your graphics card.

I don't know if Heatblur can further optimize this, but in the meantime until you can afford to upgrade there are a couple of things you can do to at least enjoy this module in single player and in light multiplayer servers.

Turn off ALL Antialiasing.

Set Water detail to Low.

Set clutter to 0, and lower your max preload radius to 80%, and trees to 50%

Set all shadows to Flat Only. Both in cockpit and in the world outside.

Last but not least, if all else fails, drop your world texture levels.

You can of course lower your cokpit textures however to me this is not worth the trade-off in looks. This too can significanlty affect performance but if you follow my advice this might not be necessary to get acceptable framerates in singleplayer at least.

Perhaps a cheap 970 for sale now? Im also on a 770 so maybe I’ll wait till I can upgrade before looking seriously at the f14, although the 770 does fine in all other aircraft I’ve tried

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I3570K @ 4.5Ghz, 16Gb DDR3 @ 1600, GTX770 @1080p

VR on a 980M? I am thinking my laptop with Gtx1060 max Q 6g vram would not do badly in VR with low setting.

Yeah ive got a low end vr settings guide in the VR forum. Its "ok" low pd, no shadows etc, gotta run the shader mod to be able to use 2x msaa etc. But for me the immersion is worth it and im getting a real desktop in a month or three.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Yeah ive got a low end vr settings guide in the VR forum. Its "ok" low pd, no shadows etc, gotta run the shader mod to be able to use 2x msaa etc. But for me the immersion is worth it and im getting a real desktop in a month or three.
That is great.

I got my desktop parts ready but failed to consider graphic card benchmark for VR in dcs. It is shame I got a GTX1060 6g too for the desktop.

Not much incentive to open the parts up and assemble since I have same laptop configuration. I am looking to see if I can sell it off so I can upgrade to something like RTX 2070 or 2080 before setting it up for VR gaming.

Thanks

Windows 10 Pro 64bit|Ryzen 5600 @3.8Ghz|EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra|Corair vengence 32G DDR4 @3200mhz|MSI B550|Thrustmaster Flightstick| Virpil CM3 Throttle| Thrustmaster TFRP Rudder Pedal /Samsung Odyssey Plus Headset

Hello everyone, would appreciate your advice if possible.

As expected, my current Asus Geforce GTX 770 DirectCU II 2GB OC is showing its lesser capability to deal with DCS 2.5, HeatBlur F-14 and so on.

I'm looking at an Asus Geforce GTX 1060 Dual 6GB OC, which goes from 310 € - 370 € (or 350 $ - 420 $).

My doubt is, inside this order of values do you know anything considerably "better" ?

Thank you.

Hangar
Mi-8 MTV2

system

As expected, my current Asus Geforce GTX 770 DirectCU II 2GB OC is showing its lesser capability to deal with DCS 2.5, HeatBlur F-14 and so on.

I'm looking at an Asus Geforce GTX 1060 Dual 6GB OC, which goes from 310 € - 370 € (or 350 $ - 420 $).

My doubt is, inside this order of values do you know anything considerably "better" ?

Thank you.

Why not get an RTX2060? It's only marginally more expensive but provides much better performance.

Why not get an RTX2060? It's only marginally more expensive but provides much better performance.

Thank you, will look about it on my retailers. :thumbup:

Hangar
Mi-8 MTV2

system

DCS is funny when it comes to VR. Im running pretty meager settings but guys with 1080s or 2080s arent doing alot better which is weird. Im sure the 1060 would work. Probably pretty similiar to the 980m.

Edited by Harlikwin

Don't tell me about it.

gbu and 16gb more ram no doubt. i had exactly the same system . 4790k 770 16gb. upgraded first to 1070. the performance boost was huuuge. later i added 16gb more ram and an ssd and solved my mp issues. i

gbu and 16gb more ram no doubt. i had exactly the same system . 4790k 770 16gb. upgraded first to 1070. the performance boost was huuuge. later i added 16gb more ram and an ssd and solved my mp issues. i

Good to know it and I agree.

And in my case I'm not even looking at MP in a near future.

My current PC, takes care of a mission, with my F-14 and an enemy in the air, (no ground units)... bu anything above that and it starts sweating...

On HM monitor software the GPU and GPU memory are constantly at 100 % utilization when running the F-14.

Hangar
Mi-8 MTV2

system

Thank you.

I’ve got the same GPU as you, and I’ve been watching the gtx1660 ti, and 1660 depending on how much you want to spend. They’re the new versions of the 1060 and pretty close to the same price. Performance of a 1070 for the Ti version

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I3570K @ 4.5Ghz, 16Gb DDR3 @ 1600, GTX770 @1080p