Storm of War - DCS Historical Server - Page 7 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 11-26-2018, 08:15 PM   #61
jcomm

I just manage to access the BS server by using direct IP : Port.

Can I have a similar address for the SoW Server ?
Old 11-26-2018, 08:35 PM   #62
saburo_cz

188.194.224.15:10308

this address is written on server description when i click on SoF on server list in game
Old 11-26-2018, 08:51 PM   #63
iRocco

Love Phil's stuff, will join this server for sure once downloaded.

EDIT:

Joined the server, 3 or so other guys were there. Spawned at Evreux with my 109 and wingman.

I realised that something is weird with my view and FOV, can't zoom out as much as I would normally could. Also view is no longer centered when the gunsight is down, it is centered when the gunsight is up and I have to lean to the right to the see the reticle. I really didn't like that change. I understand that the default fov is too much, but it felt weird and too close.

I took off and saw a message that some bombers at 4000m are going to attack grandcamp le baines in 10min. Thought it's awesome, I'm going to intercept them with my wingman which didn't want to talk to me (was on channel 2?!).

Another very annoying thing I noticed is that the server somehow reset the Bf109K aileron trim settings which you can set in the options menu. This is quite realistic because Bf109 pilots asked their ground crew to set aileron trim on the ground for specific cruise settings. The server does not use these settings I think. Please change that.

I made it all the way to grandcamp le baines and went almost to the English coast but couldn't find any bombers. Had a guy called berliner behind me who logged off after nothing spawned.

I landed at Chippelle and didn't see an enemy plane in this whole experience.

I love the histoc setting and the AI units, but the things I mentioned are quite annoying and I hope you'll be able to fix those.

Last edited by iRocco; 11-26-2018 at 10:07 PM.
iRocco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 06:26 AM   #64
philstyle

Hi iRocco,
Thanks for the detailed feedback. I'm always happy to look at how the server is set up in response to thoughtful criticsm such as this. So, here's my initial responses to each point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iRocco View Post
I realised that something is weird with my view and FOV, can't zoom out as much as I would normally could. Also view is no longer centered when the gunsight is down, it is centered when the gunsight is up and I have to lean to the right to the see the reticle. I really didn't like that change. I understand that the default fov is too much, but it felt weird and too close..
We've had some problems with the German aircraft (yes, only the german ones) since reducing the FoV limits. The FoV was mainly reduced for the following reasons:
1. At the widest FoV, which I thingk is set to 140 by default (especially in the allied aircraft) we get horrible fish-eye distortion that looks really bad.
2. At the lowest FoV, which Ithink was 20 by default, in my opinion, the ability to make out aircraft details at range is unrealistic.
However, given the issues with the german machines and the gunsights, I am going to try and revisit this now. It might be that I have to find a compromise at one end of the scale or the other. Unfortunately I do not own any of the German modules, so testing is a laborious affair that requires help from someone who does have the modules.
But, yes, I will look at this, hopefully this week or next.

Quote:
I took off and saw a message that some bombers at 4000m are going to attack grandcamp le baines in 10min. Thought it's awesome, I'm going to intercept them with my wingman which didn't want to talk to me (was on channel 2?!).
The issue with the wingman on the wrong channel should be easy to fix. I can check in the next few days that all aircraft use the same Radio freqs if they are in the same group.

Quote:
Another very annoying thing I noticed is that the server somehow reset the Bf109K aileron trim settings which you can set in the options menu. This is quite realistic because Bf109 pilots asked their ground crew to set aileron trim on the ground for specific cruise settings. The server does not use these settings I think. Please change that.
I had no idea this was a thing. I also have no idea what setting to use to change this. Can you, or anyone else, help me here?

Quote:
I made it all the way to grandcamp le baines and went almost to the English coast but couldn't find any bombers. Had a guy called berliner behind me who logged off after nothing spawned.
I landed at Chippelle and didn't see an enemy plane in this whole experience.
OK, there are a couple of things to note here.

1. It is highly unlikely that no bombers spawned at all. This aspect has been tested a lot and the presence of the bomber formations has been confirmed many times.
2 . The information about incoming raids is not perfect. It is designed deliberately to be "approximate", with respect to altitude, arrival time and arrival location. This is to mimic some of the fog associated with RADAR during the 1940s.
I also do not want to constantly spam the screen with updated messages about a raid's current location, so you get pone message and that's it. You should get a message on screen when a raid is about half way accross the channel - i.e. 80km out frmo the French coast. At 300kph groundspeed, the bombers will cover this in 15 to 20 minutes.
3. We are, however, looking at implementing a basic RADAR system of our own, given that ED might take another hundred years or so to do anything. However this wil take some coding effort and won't be implemented before January at least in my estimate.
4. The server is also set up to take advantage of someone in the tactical commmander slot, who would co-ordinate the players. This person would work (on SRS, or tamspeak) to get defensive screens in place, and then vector the intercpetors with greater accuarcy once the raid is confirmed visually and reported back by a player.
Obviously, with such low players in DCCS WW2 online these days, no-one's really doing this. However, we want the functionality in there from the start so that if thingfs ever do kick off, the Server is ready.
5. Last resort, you can always "cheat". Join the allied side and look at the F10 map. This will show "friendly" aircraft on the map, and you'll be able to see where the bombers are. Then change back to Axis side and go hunt them
I don't mind players doing this if it means they get more value out of the server. However, once we get a proper RADAR system in place, we woudl expect people to not continue this kind of behaviour.

Storm of War server updates: http://stormofwar.org/phpBB3/viewforum.php?f=29

Last edited by philstyle; 11-27-2018 at 06:58 AM.
philstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 11:05 AM   #65
iRocco

Phil, really appreciate your answer!

I suggest the following values for the 109, I'm happy to test those values on your server and give you feedback, show you screenshots if you want.

Quote:
ViewSettings = {
Cockpit = {
[1] = {-- player slot 1
CameraViewAngleLimits = {40.000000,120.000000},
CockpitLocalPoint = {-1.03, 0.72, 0.0},
CameraAngleRestriction = {false,90.000000,0.500000},
CameraAngleLimits = {200,-90.000000,90.000000},
EyePoint = {0.05000,0.100000,0.000000},
ShoulderSize = 0.25,
Allow360rotation = false,
limits_6DOF = {x = {-0.06, 0.35}, y = {-0.32, 0.08}, z = {-0.17, 0.17}, roll = 90.0},
},
}, -- Cockpit
Chase = {
LocalPoint = {0.0, -0.191, -1.146},
AnglesDefault = {0.0, 0.0},
}, -- Chase
Arcade = {
LocalPoint = {-21.500000,5.618000,0.000000},
AnglesDefault = {0.000000,-8.000000},
}, -- Arcade
}

local function head_pos_default(tab)
if not tab then
tab = {}
end

tab.viewAngle = tab.viewAngle or 80
tab.hAngle = tab.hAngle or 0 --4.63222
tab.vAngle = tab.vAngle or 0 ---4.83205
tab.x_trans = tab.x_trans or 0
tab.y_trans = tab.y_trans or 0.00665
tab.z_trans = tab.z_trans or 0.06198
tab.rollAngle = tab.rollAngle or 0

return tab
end

SnapViews = {
[1] = { -- Player Slot 1
[1] = head_pos_default({}), -- Num0
[2] = { -- LWin + Num1 - Snap View 1 - LH Board
viewAngle = 60.0,
x_trans = 0.049,
y_trans = -0.080,
z_trans = -0.003,
hAngle = 56.1,
vAngle = -45.8,
rollAngle = 0.0,
},
[3] = { -- LWin + Num2 - Snap View 2 - Front Panel
viewAngle = 53.6,
x_trans = 0.000,
y_trans = 0.007,
z_trans = 0.062,
hAngle = 0.0,
vAngle = -28.3,
rollAngle = 0.0,
},
[4] = { -- LWin + Num3 - Snap View 3 - RH Board
viewAngle = 83.7,
x_trans = 0.321,
y_trans = -0.216,
z_trans = 0.072,
hAngle = -57.4,
vAngle = -48.9,
rollAngle = 0.0,
},
[5] = { -- LWin + Num4 - Snap View 4 - Left 6
viewAngle = 80.0,
x_trans = 0.218,
y_trans = 0.007,
z_trans = -0.066,
hAngle = 150.0,
vAngle = 0.0,
rollAngle = 0.0,
},
[6] = { -- LWin + Num5 - Snap View 5 - Reticle
viewAngle = 55.1,
x_trans = 0.300,
y_trans = 0.007,
z_trans = 0.062,
hAngle = 0.0,
vAngle = 0.0,
rollAngle = 0.0,
},
[7] = { -- LWin + Num6 - Snap View 6 - Right 6
viewAngle = 80.0,
x_trans = 0.218,
y_trans = 0.007,
z_trans = 0.170,
hAngle = -150.0,
vAngle = 0.0,
rollAngle = 0.0,
},
[8] = { -- LWin + Num7 - Snap View 7 - Left 10
viewAngle = 80.0,
x_trans = 0.000,
y_trans = 0.007,
z_trans = 0.062,
hAngle = 45.0,
vAngle = 0.0,
rollAngle = 0.0,
},
[9] = { -- LWin + Num8 - Snap View 8 - Cowl
viewAngle = 80.0,
x_trans = 0.228,
y_trans = 0.052,
z_trans = 0.000,
hAngle = 0.0,
vAngle = 0.0,
rollAngle = 0.0,
},
[10] = { -- LWin + Num9 - Snap View 9 - Right 10
viewAngle = 80.0,
x_trans = 0.000,
y_trans = 0.007,
z_trans = 0.062,
hAngle = -45.0,
vAngle = 0.0,
rollAngle = 0.0,
},
[11] = head_pos_default({viewAngle = 60, vAngle = 10}),--look at left mirror
[12] = head_pos_default({viewAngle = 60, vAngle = 10}),--look at right mirror
[13] = head_pos_default({}),--default view
},
}
Regarding the trim issue:
Seems like my settings got reverted, so please ignore the trim settings comment. But this is how it looks like for the 109:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1MW...WAYwwvwKCyKLgn

It is also mentioned in this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDMzZOOIFro&t=383s
Old 11-27-2018, 11:30 AM   #66
philstyle

Quote:
I suggest the following values for the 109, I'm happy to test those values on your server and give you feedback, show you screenshots if you want.

Wow, I had no idea that the view settings for the 109 had so much content.
I'll try to get our config files updated with that later today.
Also, I suspect we will have the same problem for the 190.. so I should try to get similar values for that aircraft too.

ALSO, how narrow can we get these values in this row here before the views go all wrong again?
CameraViewAngleLimits = {40.000000,120.000000},

Would 30 to 115 still be ok?

Actually, on further investigation I am more confused by this now.
The settings you sent specify specific key bindings for various views. Won't fixing these to the server result in problems for people with other key combinations?
Also, do we know whcih specific line controls the gunsight view - which seems to be the one folks have had issues with. Can we adjust the CameraViewAngleLimits line without affecting the gunsight view?

Last edited by philstyle; 11-27-2018 at 11:57 AM.
Old 11-27-2018, 12:40 PM   #67
iRocco

Hm, I copied the whole file because I wasn't sure where the gunshight view was changed.

The default value for the 109 are

CameraViewAngleLimits = {20.000000,140.000000}

for the limits.

I just flew on your server with a couple of guys and the P51 has basically the same "problem" with FOV, you can zoom in very close.

Where would you edit those files? In the server.lua? or view.lua on the server?
Old 11-27-2018, 12:45 PM   #68
philstyle

Quote:
Where would you edit those files? In the server.lua? or view.lua on the server?
I can't recall right now but a copy of the server.lua or views.lua (one or the other) needs to be packed into the mission archive itself that the server runs.

It sounds like we can set 30 or 35 as the minimum FoV, and 120 as the maximum - ideally we'd have the same limits for all aircraft.
I'm still not sure if we need to proviude all the other lines of view code though in order to prevent the gunsight problems in German fighters. I'll still need to get to the bottom of this with a couple of the other SoW admins who have the relevant modules.

Old 11-27-2018, 12:47 PM   #69
iRocco

Quote:
Originally Posted by philstyle View Post
I can't recall right now but a copy of the server.lua or views.lua (one or the other) needs to be packed into the mission archive itself that the server runs.

It sound like we can set 30 or 35 as the minimum FoV, and 120 at the maximum.
I'm still not sure if we need to proviude all the other lines of view code though in order to prevent the gunsight problems in German fighters. I'll still need to get to the bottom of this with a couple of the other SoW admins who have the relevant modules.
Ok, just tell me if you changed it, I can test it right away.
Old 11-27-2018, 12:56 PM   #70
philstyle

Quote:
Ok, just tell me if you changed it, I can test it right away.

Won't be until later tonight, EU time.