Vulkan API Discussion

snowsniper

So when should we expect Vulcan then? The usual two weeks? Joking aside, ED's total silence on this is killing me

ED stated last year that a pre-requisite was an update to textures.

My guess is that includes not only the terrain, but also all vehicles, AI and playable. I believe that to be the reason for the recent warbird visual update and the ones planned for the KA50, A10 and similar.

As we have no timelines for the above, probably fair to assume months rather than weeks.

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

My guess is that includes not only the terrain, but also all vehicles, AI and playable. I believe that to be the reason for the recent warbird visual update and the ones planned for the KA50, A10 and similar.

As we have no timelines for the above, probably fair to assume months rather than weeks.

Wish they would let the fans help out recreating the textures/sounds, outsource that stuff!.

A formula for uncontrolled, unaccountable chaos!

AMEN.

Gigabyte Z390 Gaming X | i7 9700K@5.0GHz | Gainward Phantom GS RTX 3080 | 32GB DDR4@3200MHz | HP Reverb | TrackIR 5 | TM Warthog HOTAS | MFG Croswinds | DCS PD 1.0 / Steam VR SS 170%

Well, not really, the engine uses PBR, which is a Standard across all PBR Enabled Renders.

The old models are getting updates, because they are in need of them, to keep them on the same quality level as the new modules.

Things need changed on the Textures and Shaders, but not the way you are thinking.

Wish they would let the fans help out recreating the textures/sounds, outsource that stuff!.

Not gonna happen.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

How do you showcase lines of code being written? or individual parts of something larger?

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

Does it really matter whether Vulkan is being released now or in 9-18 months? It will not be a magic bullett, rather one part of many engine improvements and in concert with a gradual move to more multi-threading of the various components, this is how i see it play out. Its not about getting a one-off fps bump, which would be nice though. Rather, it's about getting the engine to a state where it can take advantage of all that parallelsim that is coming in the hardware space. Vulkan will just be one aspect of this. And probably an important one. We've got 8-16 cpu cores in the consumer space, and in the not too distant future we will probably see MGM gpu designs. And for that we need a proper and clean Vulkan implementation.

How do you showcase lines of code being written? or individual parts of something larger?

I dunno, some other guy suggested that razbam get live cams so that we can see that they are working hard :music_whistling:... I keeed... I keeed...

But on a more serious note in an update that its still the plan would be nice.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

I been playing a game with Vulkan API on, World War Z and everything on Ultra TAA, and it runs way smoother and much cooler on the CPU and GPU.

" any failure you meet, is never a defeat; merely a set up for a greater come back, "  W Forbes

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that counts,"  Winston Churchill

" He who never changes his mind, never changes anything," 

MSI z690MPG DDR4 || i914900k|| ddr4-64gb PC3200 || MSI RTX 4070Ti|Game1300w|Win10x64| |turtle beach elite pro 5.1|| ViRpiL,T50cm2|| MFG Crosswinds|| VT50CM-plus rotor Throttle || G10 RGB EVGA Keyboard/MouseLogitech || PiMax Crystal VR || 32 Samsung||

You would also have to play it on directx as comparison, to really know know what's going on.

With Battlefield 4 you had a ingame option to switch api and on my old core 2 quad with hd7750 it was really noticable smoother with vulkan (mantle).

"Wolfenstein II The new colossus" was really looking awesome and I could run it with everything maxed out on my fx8350 with rx580 at ~60 FPS, which I couldn't with any game at that time. Later I found out it uses Vulkan.

Sure these games have nothing to do with DCS, but I think it's a good indicator

You would also have to play it on directx as comparison, to really know know what's going on.

With Battlefield 4 you had a ingame option to switch api and on my old core 2 quad with hd7750 it was really noticable smoother with vulkan (mantle).

"Wolfenstein II The new colossus" was really looking awesome and I could run it with everything maxed out on my fx8350 with rx580 at ~60 FPS, which I couldn't with any game at that time. Later I found out it uses Vulkan.

I think he mentioned it because the Vulkan API is a recent addition to that game.

it has both Vulkan and directX 11. Runs smoother on Vulkan. and a lot cooler.

" any failure you meet, is never a defeat; merely a set up for a greater come back, "  W Forbes

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that counts,"  Winston Churchill

" He who never changes his mind, never changes anything," 

MSI z690MPG DDR4 || i914900k|| ddr4-64gb PC3200 || MSI RTX 4070Ti|Game1300w|Win10x64| |turtle beach elite pro 5.1|| ViRpiL,T50cm2|| MFG Crosswinds|| VT50CM-plus rotor Throttle || G10 RGB EVGA Keyboard/MouseLogitech || PiMax Crystal VR || 32 Samsung||

I dunno, some other guy suggested that razbam get live cams so that we can see that they are working hard :music_whistling:... I keeed... I keeed...

But on a more serious note in an update that its still the plan would be nice.

Dev : *clack clack clack*

Voice from baby monitor mounted above desk : You forgot to close that syntax line.

Dev : *silence*

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

• 2 weeks later...

Developer update?

We are approaching mid-year now, any comment from the devs on the progress of the Vulkan implementation and what we can expect to see? Really appreciate all the hard work that is being done in DCS and understand why things move slowly, only looking for an update and a comment on performance/improvements with Vulkan more than a time frame. Well, maybe a rough time frame :smilewink:

The Flying Kiwis (TFK)

Ryzen 5600X on water, RX6800, 32GB 3200, m.2 boot, 2TB EVO,  Rift S, Warthog HOTAS + TFRP, flight chair with bass shakers.

AH-64D || A-10IIC || F/A-18C || UH-1 || F-16C || Mig-29 || Spitfire mk.ix || Fw190A8 || Fw190D9 || P-51D || Ka-50 || Mi-8 || Mi-24P || bf109k-4 || P-47 || Mosquito || Combined Arms

Persian Gulf || Normandy || Nevada || Syria

Supercarrier || NS430

Rough time frame you ask, rough you get. Anything from "now" until "its done", inclusive.

Intel i7-13700KF :: ROG STRIX Z790-A GAMING WIFI D4 :: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB ::  MSI RTX 4080  Gaming X Trio  :: VKB Gunfighter MK.III MCG Ultimate :: VPC MongoosT-50 CM3 :: non-VR :: single player :: open beta

We are approaching mid-year now, any comment from the devs on the progress of the Vulkan implementation and what we can expect to see? Really appreciate all the hard work that is being done in DCS and understand why things move slowly, only looking for an update and a comment on performance/improvements with Vulkan more than a time frame. Well, maybe a rough time frame :smilewink:

Honestly I'm hoping next year and thats more of a "hope" than a realistic guess. I'm "hoping" we see the VR improvement in the next 3 months.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Honestly I'm hoping next year and thats more of a "hope" than a realistic guess. I'm "hoping" we see the VR improvement in the next 3 months.

I'm on the same trajectory. Lot of shaders to touch for Vulkan. So yeah, VR update in 3 months, and Vulkan rollout Q1 next year.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Probably not, they wouldn't invest in something like that only to stop in the middle, the last update was about the shader stuff, that's a large part.

Modules: A-10C I/II, F/A-18C, Mig-21Bis, M-2000C, AJS-37, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, P-47, FC3, SC, CA, WW2AP, CE2. Terrains: NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf, Syria

Probably not, they wouldn't invest in something like that only to stop in the middle, the last update was about the shader stuff, that's a large part.

The best laid plans of mice and men often go awry.

Unforeseen things can happen in the course of a project, the respective engineers can quit or, god forbid, worse. Other projects can take precedence, requiring a shift in ressources. Basically, everything can happen. That's not even factoring in hitting unforeseen roadblocks which is common when switching to different technologies, especially complicated ones like the graphics API.

Good, fast, cheap. Choose any two.

Come let's eat grandpa!

Use punctuation, save lives!

• 3 weeks later...

But it's their job to build a good game? Especially one that keeps evolving into a bigger product day after day. I don't see how that's an excuse. "X can happen and Y may be a problem". It's their responsibility to calculate/foresee at least some of these errors. My boss won't give a toss if I'm late for work tomorrow, why should we keep cutting slack of off ED's terrible coding?

They will never, NEVER stop working on upcoming money-maker modules like the F-16 and take a better look at the existing product until their customers say something about the current state of the game. I wish them the best of luck and that they have taken my thoughts (that are shared by many members in this community) seriously and keep their head down after the F-16 comes out.