Why Christen Eagle II?

Dolphin887

As a member of this community for many years, who has bought almost everything the sim has produced, I must say... I have zero interest in this module. Regardless, good luck M3. Its not for me, but maybe others will like it.

My Rig: EVGA GTX 1070 x 2 | EVGA x58 SLI classified | i7 X 990 CPU | 24 GB RAM | Windows 10 Home 64 bit| Track IR Pro | CH Fighter Stick | CH Throttle | CH Pro Pedals |

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Nothing but semantics here. Any FM produced by a 3rd party is an EFM. What the EFM equates to can be described by referencing ED's internal definitions of SFM, AFM, AFM+, and PFM.

Personally, I would think that a proper aerobatic aircraft would require a PFM level flight model to be a quality aircraft. By describing it only as an AFM tells me that they are cutting corners.

Yes I understand the sfm - pfm scale, just was wondering if anything changed sometime (I was away from DCS for a good while, and pretty much awaiting 2.5 merger tbh so the version chaos would go away). Before then, 3rd party was indeed efm where the dev team would state that their efm is e.g. close to pfm standard, or pretty much sfm with later delivery/update to afm or pfm standards as work on it progresses. But now I see them clearly labelled as afm mostly (razbam's modules, heatblur's viggen, M3' CE2, etc), so I was wondering whether they are using the closest common denominator now for greater clarity or it's really "only" afm. Some modules are not even labelled this way anymore, at least not on the store page. :huh: Thanks in any case and sorry for OT.

Sent from my pComputer using Keyboard

• ED Team
Nothing but semantics here. Any FM produced by a 3rd party is an EFM. What the EFM equates to can be described by referencing ED's internal definitions of SFM, AFM, AFM+, and PFM.

Personally, I would think that a proper aerobatic aircraft would require a PFM level flight model to be a quality aircraft. By describing it only as an AFM tells me that they are cutting corners.

Cutting corners? Kinda harsh but anyways an AFM can be a good flight model, and its possible they only have the data to support AFM.

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

Cutting corners? Kinda harsh but anyways an AFM can be a good flight model, and its possible they only have the data to support AFM.

Judging by the edge of envelope flight model of the M21, that is broken, why does anyone expect them to be able to get a biplane right?

A-10C Noob - Watch out, I may happen to fly my hog into your car!

Win 7x64 - Core-i7 4770k, 16GB Ram, Titan X, Obutto Cockpit with 3x 27" screens.

I will not even think about buying this until the MiG-21 is stable and finished correctly (a far cry from the original announcement of a module that would need no beta because it would be so complete and correct on initial release).

I really wish more users would think and act what way.

Then maybe the DCS mess with unfinished modules will end someday.

I will not even think about buying this until the MiG-21 is stable and finished correctly (a far cry from the original announcement of a module that would need no beta because it would be so complete and correct on initial release).

+1 :thumbup:

Mancher zum Meister sich erklärt, dem nie das Handwerk ward gelehrt!

I wish you well guys, really I do... but damn...

Digital COMBAT simulator... if you want to go the civilian route at least make something that can be used as transport...

Civilian and WWII should not be focused on, its wasted energy on projects that could further the core game... but that's just my opinion.

PS..please fix the bloody mig21.. its one of my favorite aircraft and I cant even taxi past my wingmen...

Win 10pro x64 | i5 2500 | 16GB RAM | GTX1060 6GB | Logitech G940 | Tir5 + TC

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Jeez, that's the same old record again and again, from people who just want to be served their way. It seems people have lost their ability to read in this thread.

All that has been explained numerous times.

Wouldn't that thread better be closed? I can't see anything good coming from it.

System specs: Win7 x64 | CPU: i7-4770K | RAM: 16 GB | GPU: GTX 980 Ti 6 GB | Thrustmaster HOTAS | MFG rudder pedals | SATA3 SSD | TrackIR

What activity?

Nothing new since October 21.

I see at least 130 assigned/closed in the last 30 days. Are you sure you are using the correct view?

System specs: Win7 x64 | CPU: i7-4770K | RAM: 16 GB | GPU: GTX 980 Ti 6 GB | Thrustmaster HOTAS | MFG rudder pedals | SATA3 SSD | TrackIR

I really wish more users would think and act what way.

Then maybe the DCS mess with unfinished modules will end someday.

Close to the merge soon, I'm hoping all this will get better myself going forward with ED and Third parties, they have needed to juggle development and resources here too, I'd say they have perhaps left some things on the back burner until 2.5 and things settle down some.

It would get a little annoying having to re-coding fixes many times for 3 different versions of the sim.:cry: I bet there's many move dev branches of the sim we don't see too.

Edited by David OC

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

This is great news to me !

I always thought that DCS World could go beyond the military aircraft type and offer much more choices to a wider audience.

I am looking forward to more different type of aircraft coming to DCS World in the future.

• Like 1

I'm not very familiar with the problems with the Mig-21 so I can't speak to that. I own the module but do not fly it terribly often. If those issues aren't being addressed, I can understand why people would be upset.

But I'm in support of almost any module that brings full fidelity and a new flight experience to DCS. I understand a lot of people get hung up on the C in that name, but I'm just not one of them. I would actually be thrilled if some additional third parties came in and wanted to do civilian aircraft, and I don't understand the harm of it (note, additional third parties We do still need most of our current ones to keep working on military aircraft). If such aircraft aren't interesting to some, those people won't buy it. At the very least, the AI versions of those aircraft can still be used as targets or for mission making (there's certainly not enough AI civilian aircraft for mission making present yet). No one is forcing anyone to purchase what is produced, and no one is planning to take the C out of DCS. Count me among those who would be happy to have a Cessna, Cub, 737, or other aircraft in the sim *while* combat aircraft continue to be developed.

The simple truth is that while people always say "if you want to do civilian, go to X simulation", there's sadly no better simulation engine out there right now than DCS. DCS provides developers the possibility to model any aircraft to a higher standard of fidelity than any other simulator out there. For my money, going back to those other simulators feels "gamey" and on rails. Can the community really be so surprised when GA enthusiasts look at DCS and think "I wish my aircraft could be modeled like that"? How about those who want to try an create missions where a 172 tries to run contraband past a patrol of F-5s in a high-density civilian traffic area?

I certainly don't blame or begrudge anyone who says "that's not a module for me, so it's not one I'll buy". Makes perfect sense to me. I just don't understand those who feel the need to demand only their type of flight deserves to be included in the sim platform.

I would never have guessed the Christen Eagle II, but I can see some players enjoying the experience. There are dedicated acrobatic teams in DCS who would find this module great. The aircraft fills a niche that no other aircraft can really fill (L-39s can be aerobatic, but can't do what this aircraft can). I look forward to seeing more on this, and I support Dolphin's efforts to expand DCS into new areas (while not forgetting the C).

• Like 1

Yep and for those of you that are saying "don't like it don't buy it" I agree...

And for those that are saying it won't affect anything if civilian planes are allowed, let's talk again in a year when the 3rd party devs have flooded us with aerial versions of Chevy Chevettes and there are no complex combat planes even being planned moving forward...

Remember WAGS already said they are making tons of cash on the WW2 planes due to ease of programming and much quicker time to get them out the door so all of the devs are going to jump on this money train..

Welcome to the new Xplane...

Enjoy

EDIT: And I just saw this little tidbit on PolyChops Facebook page...

"Therefore, we want to branch into the interesting realm of civilian aviation and hopefully see some of our loyal customers

on other platforms. We just haven’t decided which yet and want to make a smart choice. Our team is so small that

any time we devote into a project is going to be about quality, not quantity and the choice of a non-military simulator

must provide the company with the resources to continue improving with technology."

Not to mention the already taslked about civilian version of the Gazelle..

So now PolyChop wants to do the civilian aircraft thing as well.. I am betting they are pressuring ED to let them provide civilian aircraft in DCS and jump on the money train as well. And even if they don't provide DCS civilian aircraft, they will be spending considerable time with it regardless so for DCS combat oriented aircraft, there will be a substantial impact.

So everyone might want to re evaluate the statement that "civilian aircraft in DCS does not affect those of us that continue to want combat oriented aircraft"

Civilian aircraft development ALREADY has affected DCS and will only get worse moving forward..

Edited by outlawal2

"Pride is a poor substitute for intelligence."

RAMBO

I'm all for civil aircraft in DCS, so the concept behind the module doesn't bother me at all. It shouldn't have any negative impact on DCS either. Yes, civil aviation will become another avenue of success in DCS for developers to take, but that won't remove the existing combat aircraft opportunities in DCS. Modern complex aircraft are already somewhat rare. We have the F-18 and F-14 coming, AV-8 in beta, and the A-10C available. Devs, including ED, have focused on other aircraft types already simply because they are simpler.

Notice however that DCS has not become a WWII simulator. Devs aren't jumping headfirst into making solely WWII aircraft despite their claimed profitability. Their own interests as well as the consumer demand for other aircraft will basically ensure that military aviation will remain a part of DCS no matter what happens to the civil side.

Awaiting: DCS F-15C

Win 10 i5-9600KF 4.6 GHz 64 GB RAM RTX2080Ti 11GB -- Win 7 64 i5-6600K 3.6 GHz 32 GB RAM GTX970 4GB -- A-10C, F-5E, Su-27, F-15C, F-14B, F-16C missions in User Files

I'm all for civil aircraft in DCS, so the concept behind the module doesn't bother me at all. It shouldn't have any negative impact on DCS either. Yes, civil aviation will become another avenue of success in DCS for developers to take, but that won't remove the existing combat aircraft opportunities in DCS. Modern complex aircraft are already somewhat rare. We have the F-18 and F-14 coming, AV-8 in beta, and the A-10C available. Devs, including ED, have focused on other aircraft types already simply because they are simpler.

Notice however that DCS has not become a WWII simulator. Devs aren't jumping headfirst into making solely WWII aircraft despite their claimed profitability. Their own interests as well as the consumer demand for other aircraft will basically ensure that military aviation will remain a part of DCS no matter what happens to the civil side.

Yes a MUCH smaller part of it... If it continues at all..

Time will tell..

"Pride is a poor substitute for intelligence."

RAMBO

The idea that military aircraft will vanish from DCS seems terribly unrealistic. The more devs switch to civil, the greater the demand for military aircraft will be. The only way to stop that would be for the current DCS fanbase to leave or convert purely to civil aviation.

The worst case is that civil modules become a fad and get overcrowded for a bit. This naturally create a military module vacuum and devs will come right back to making military modules.

Awaiting: DCS F-15C

Win 10 i5-9600KF 4.6 GHz 64 GB RAM RTX2080Ti 11GB -- Win 7 64 i5-6600K 3.6 GHz 32 GB RAM GTX970 4GB -- A-10C, F-5E, Su-27, F-15C, F-14B, F-16C missions in User Files

• ED Team
Why the fear-mongering? Civ sims have military aircraft developed for them. There will be plenty of military aircraft modules in DCS.

It's getting a little silly now, this is the first and only so far civilian aircraft to be planned for DCS, yet we are getting close the bar raising Hornet... The Tomcat is coming, and a number of others... if there isnt a market for civilian aircraft, sales will show it. But the world isnt ending because of this pick for a module...

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

It's getting a little silly now, this is the first and only so far civilian aircraft to be planned for DCS, yet we are getting close the bar raising Hornet... The Tomcat is coming, and a number of others... if there isnt a market for civilian aircraft, sales will show it. But the world isnt ending because of this pick for a module...

+1

True.

Edited by boedha68

New system:I9-9900KS, Kingston 128 GB DDR4 3200Mhz, MSI RTX 4090, Corsair H150 Pro RGB, 2xSamsung 970 EVO 2Tb, 2xsamsung 970 EVO 1 TB, Scandisk m2 500 MB, 2 x Crucial 1 Tb, T16000M HOTAS, HP Reverb Professional 2, Corsair 750 Watt.

Old system:I7-4770K(OC 4.5Ghz), Kingston 24 GB DDR3 1600 Mhz,MSI RTX 2080(OC 2070 Mhz), 2 * 500 GB SSD, 3,5 TB HDD, 55' Samsung 3d tv, Trackir 5, Logitech HD Cam, T16000M HOTAS. All DCS modules, maps and campaigns:pilotfly: