South Atlantic Terrain - Work In Progress

SUNTSAG

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well... the Mig-21 was designed to carry and drop the RN-24 and the RN-28 after all...
So what is the problem with planes that are designed to drop "dumb" bombs of the Mk-82/Mk-83/Mk-84 family to drop ALL variants of dumb bombs? And why shouldn't it be possible to drop a Mk-82 with a LGB-Kit (a GBU-12) or a CBU-87/97, or a Mk-77 Firebomb from that same station?

It is designed to drop these bombs, as well.

The usual argument is "they never carried xy bombs on that plane" or "these bombs where never used on that version of the plane"...

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

Hey, I do not have a “problem” with that. You just gave a bad example.

Chill.

No, for the exact reason I listed above it is the perfect(!) example.

As you said Heatblur/Leatherneck made it this way because it is designed(!) to do it, not because it ever dropped them.

The same people praising the MiG-21 and other modules for their "realism" get upset when others ask for "GBU-12" on for example the F-5E (a simple Mk-82 with a guidance kit that is set to laser frequency buy the ground crew), arguing that particular plane never "used" that type of bomb IRL.

They fly happily in A-10Cs over Georgia and drop GBU-12 on Russian Forces while changing Laser codes on their LGBs...

If we strife for 100% realism, the A-10C should only fly over Nevada?

I personally am very much in favor of a more versatile armament for the planes oriented on capabilities, and less on "what we can prove with photos".

It is different when designing realistic missions, that's were realistic loadouts come into play.

But as South Atlantic can't be 100% realistic by design, if we use the current planes, we either setup a totally fictious conflict, with modern weaponry or we try to limit the existing models to a 1980ies loadout.

Shagrat

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

Guys, there is a difference between simulating, and reproducing, don't forget that ...

Is the terrain like in real life ? Yes, Is the plane like in real life ? Yes -> you are simulating

Did this happen in real life ? Yes -> you are reproducing

DCS is a simulation, not a reproduction.

PS: real pilots don't only train on scenarios that already happened

Edited by cypc

"You don't rise to the occasion, you fall to your level of preparation."

To supplement what Shagrat said:

If a particular type of weapon could be used on a given aircraft (there is technical possibility to deploy it)- but never was used, I say give that option. From the point of view of mission designer I’d rather have more possibilities when designing scenarios, especially if I am not recreating somehing that happened.

But I am dead against giving a maverick to Mirage or AGM-88 to A-10C.

ce535d_9d347b62819c4372b3c485a4f95d2004~mv2.png

To supplement what Shagrat said:

If a particular type of weapon could be used on a given aircraft (there is technical possibility to deploy it)- but never was used, I say give that option. From the point of view of mission designer I’d rather have more possibilities when designing scenarios, especially if I am not recreating somehing that happened.

But I am dead against giving a maverick to Mirage or AGM-88 to A-10C.

Yep, this exactly. If you need special avionics and systems not built into the aircraft, don't make any fancy workaround/fictious weapons.

It is good to have some options gameplay wise to "configure" weapons from a DSMS page or better from the kneeboard, while on the ground, as we can't do much loadout and program changes in a multiplayer mission, but leave "realism" to the mission designers.

If somebody builds a "What if"-campaign it is nice to have "What if"-options.

If somebody builds a "Real life events"-campaign, it is his responsibility to research and prepare time and mission accurate loadouts.

Shagrat

what a lot of trees in the 3D map...

I spent 4 months down in the Falklands in late 86 early 87, and there were literally no trees at all, I was based out of Fox Bay on West Falkland Islands, and it was bleak and barren, I don't recall ever seeing any trees on West Falklands including Saunders, and Pebble Island, if my memory serves me correct, there was a tiny patch of trees just outside Port Stanley, near Murrel River.

It was a a bleak miserable place to be, despite it being their Summer, you could easily get 4 seasons in one day!!

The Mountains were pretty spectacular though, especially Mount Alice, where the RAF Phantoms of 23 Squadron would have regular "Track Ex" simulated attacks, designed to test the Rapier Batteries protecting the AEW "Golf Balls" which had long been removed, but the Phantoms used to fly as low as they could over the golf balls, so that the shock wave would send shit flying all over the place inside the accommodation up there...

Wildlife was spectacular, the local inhabitants were not however.

South Georgia wasn't much better..

Trees would be totally inaccurate for the 1982 conflict.

AMD Ryzen 9 7845HX with Radeon Graphics           3.00 GHz

32 GB RAM

2 TB SSD

RTX 4070 8GB

Windows 11 64 bit

I spent 4 months down in the Falklands in late 86 early 87, and there were literally no trees at all, I was based out of Fox Bay on West Falkland Islands, and it was bleak and barren, I don't recall ever seeing any trees on West Falklands including Saunders, and Pebble Island, if my memory serves me correct, there was a tiny patch of trees just outside Port Stanley, near Murrel River.

It was a a bleak miserable place to be, despite it being their Summer, you could easily get 4 seasons in one day!!

The Mountains were pretty spectacular though, especially Mount Alice, where the RAF Phantoms of 23 Squadron would have regular "Track Ex" simulated attacks, designed to test the Rapier Batteries protecting the AEW "Golf Balls" which had long been removed, but the Phantoms used to fly as low as they could over the golf balls, so that the shock wave would send shit flying all over the place inside the accommodation up there...

Wildlife was spectacular, the local inhabitants were not however.

South Georgia wasn't much better..

Trees would be totally inaccurate for the 1982 conflict.

Don’t worry, that’s probably the artillery being tested on Georgia map :thumbup:

Mirage fanatic !

I7-7700K/ MSI RTX3080/ RAM 64 Go/ SSD / TM Hornet stick-Virpil WarBRD + Virpil CM3 Throttle + MFG Crosswind + Reverb G2.

Flickr gallery: https://www.flickr.com/gp/71068385@N02/728Hbi

all the testing for the new assets will be done in existing maps, when we are ready we will display the new map :)

We will also be including different paint schemes so that the units can also be used in the existing maps.

Cheers Specter

Custom built W10 Pro 64Bit, Intel Core i9 9900k, Asus ROG Maximus Code XI Z390, 64GB DDR4 3200 RGB, Samsung 1TB NVme M.2 Drive, Gigabyte AORUS 2080TI, 40" Iiyama Display. Wacom Cintiq Pro 24, HOTAS Virpil T50 Stick / FA-18C TM Stick and Virpil T50 Throttle, MFG Crosswind Graphite Pedals. HP Reverb

SPECTER

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Lead Terrain Developer / Texture Artist

On a really side note, maybe it's only me but the RAZBAM Terreain Team banner really reminds me the Falcon 4/Free Falcon style graphics :)

F/A-18, F-16, F-14, M-2000C, A-10C, AV-8B, AJS-37 Viggen, F-5E-3, F-86F, MiG-21bis, MiG-15bis, L-39 Albatros, C-101 Aviojet, P-51D, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, Bf 109 4-K, UH-1H, Mi-8, Ka-50, NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf... and not enough time to fully enjoy it all

mithandra, will the assets be available for free for anyone or will it be a separate module like WWII assets? or it will be part of the map module so only who have the map have the assets?

The assets will be included with the map purchase, so a single purchase will give you the map and also the units

As always things are subject to change

Cheers Specter

Custom built W10 Pro 64Bit, Intel Core i9 9900k, Asus ROG Maximus Code XI Z390, 64GB DDR4 3200 RGB, Samsung 1TB NVme M.2 Drive, Gigabyte AORUS 2080TI, 40" Iiyama Display. Wacom Cintiq Pro 24, HOTAS Virpil T50 Stick / FA-18C TM Stick and Virpil T50 Throttle, MFG Crosswind Graphite Pedals. HP Reverb

SPECTER

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

So I can't have the assets without the map?

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

So I can't have the assets without the map?

We will discuss this internally and update accordingly

Cheers Specter

SPECTER

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Ah, so that's where all the trees went! I can't find any large patch of trees on the Falklands. One only has to check Google Maps and photographs taken by others to confirm this.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Commodore 64 | MOS6510 | VIC-II | SID6581 | DD 1541 | KCS Power Cartridge | 64Kb | 32Kb external | Arcade Turbo

We will discuss this internally and update accordingly

Cheers Specter

Alright, I was just curious as there might be people itnerested in the assets, while not beeing interested in the map itself. I'm not one of them so, as I'm very eager to get my hands on the Falklands map :joystick:

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Sorry if this has already been answered, but does anyone know what timeframe this will be set in?

Are we going for a 1982 timeframe to cover the conflict, or are we going for a more modern but hypothetical conflict situation?

Don’t mind either way, just blooming stoked to finally be getting the Falklands to play with, just wondering more for the landscape.

Obviously 1982 will be significantly more bleak, less roads, no Mount Pleasent airfield or Mare Harbour etc, but if we are doing a more hypothetical modern timeframe, then there has been significantly more infrastructure built up on the islands from obviously MPA and Mare Harbour, to additional radar sites on the islands, and newer and bigger hospital in Stanley, and new roads across the islands.

Aircraft wise, well apart from the Huey, nothing we currently have module wise was involved in 1982, so I don’t really see there would be any conflict making a more modern version of the islands.

If you do include MPA, please don’t forget the huge amount of bars on the base, I think I can remember where the majority of them where. Although my memory from those tours are a tad fuzzy. ;)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Fighter pilots make movies, Attack pilots make history, Helicopter pilots make heros.

:pilotfly: Corsair 570x Crystal Case, Intel 8700K O/clocked to 4.8ghz, 32GB Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 3200 MHZ Ram, 2 x 1TB M2 drives, 2 x 4TB Hard Drives, Nvidia EVGA GTX 1080ti FTW, Maximus x Hero MB, H150i Cooler, 6 x Corsair LL120 RGB Fans And a bloody awful Pilot :doh:

The assets will be included with the map purchase, so a single purchase will give you the map and also the units

As always things are subject to change

Cheers Specter

That seems the fairest way to do it, no one expects you guys to work for free.

i7-7700K/Gigabyte RTX2080/Win10 64bit/32Gb RAM/Asus Xonar DX+Sennheiser HD380pro headphones/LG 34" UM65 @2560x1080/TM Warthog+VKB MkIV Rudder pedals/Rift CV1

It would be nice if they could include both scenarios; MPA and more roads, and not. Would that even be feasible?

I know there's a lack of '82 specific aircraft at the moment, but are there really any that fits in a current day scenario, either?

Sorry if this has already been answered, but does anyone know what timeframe this will be set in?

From the assets shown I would guess 1990s.

Type 23s first commissioned in 1990 and HMS Birmingham retired 1999.

Of course it is possible the whole period 1982 to the present is covered, I wouldn’t complain...

From the assets shown I would guess 1990s.

Type 23s first commissioned in 1990 and HMS Birmingham retired 1999.

Of course it is possible the whole period 1982 to the present is covered, I wouldn’t complain...

The invincible class carrier they showed of is either Late refit Vince or Lusty.

The only way to make sense out of change is to plunge into it, move with it, and join the dance.

"Me, the 13th Duke of Wybourne, here on the ED forums at 3 'o' clock in the morning, with my reputation. Are they mad.."

https://ko-fi.com/joey45