What triggers the laser warning receiver?

Ok, I get that it's triggered by lasers. But from the stuff I'd read I thought that was just from tanks about to hammer you with an AT missile.

I was on blue flag last night, and was repeatedly lit up whilst flying through the mountains, until I was passed by a Mig29 (at a hilariously high AoA).

Do aircraft also have lasers capable of setting of the receiver? I'd guess maybe the Su25T, but a Mig?

Confused...

For fun and profit, light up your lead in a 2-ship flight with laser ranging every now and then and enjoy his evasive dance. :D

"One, evasive!"

"One, two, uh... it's okay... I may have accidentally, you know, uh... kinda locked you up and... uh... ranged you... dunno why, it kinda just happened, y'know?"

"Two, one, godammit never do that again! And stop giggling!"

"Two." [Giggles some more] :smartass:

Isnt that enough for a court matrial? :D

Nah, honest mistake. :D

I seem to recall a certain British JTAC writing about being dressed down by his CO (or someone higher up the chain) because of some type of noise complaint or some such. Must have been an honest mistake that the following morning, around 5am-ish, a US B-1 did a low level, full burner, show of force right above their friggin camp. :music_whistling:

Anyone interested, that was Firestrike 7/9 by Paul "Bommer" Grahame, highly recommended read!

Ok' date=' I get that it's triggered by lasers. But from the stuff I'd read I thought that was just from tanks about to hammer you with an AT missile.[/quote']

Not just with the ATGM, but they will shoot at you. Every MBT uses a laser rangefinder to measure the distance to target before firing. If you get just a one lazing, you have been ranged. If you get lazing after reseting, you are being guided at.

But that is actually slightly wrong in DCS as good gunner will laze the element near you if you are hovering behind something or so to find you are in ATGM range, and then launch ATGM and guide it very near before turning it at you.

The Shkval laser guidance in Su-25T and KA-50 has special difference how it differs from others (AFAIK), it can do a very tight laser beaming like all rangefinders, but as Vikhr is launched, the laser beam is extremely wide. The beam width is calculated by the Vikhr flight time to be beamed so that it stays 7m wide at increased energy as range goes at the Vikhr estimated position. That makes the Vikhr launch nearly undetected by the LWR until it is just couple seconds when the beam is narrow and powerful enough to be detected and then Vikhr hits at you.

So we should be able to use that in DCS by lazing the ground target near range and then guide Vikhr in and surprise the target totally.

Same can't be said about others like AGM-65E or Kh-25L that is guided to laser spot reflecting from the target.

So when ever LWR lits up, you are being engaged or ranged by anyone else than KA-50/Su-25T guiding Vikhr at you.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.