How to set up toggle switches (a tutorial)

Thanks! I tried to rename it and i also tried vu0.

Not sure if i did both at the same time.

I wonder. Which is the way to go?

1. To modify the diff file - Seems better when updates are rolling in but harder to understand

2. To modify the default.lua - Works pretty good with JSGME but default file might change with updates

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

We are looking for Swedish members!

http://www.masterarms.se

Thanks! I tried to rename it and i also tried vu0.

Not sure if i did both at the same time.

I wonder. Which is the way to go?

1. To modify the diff file - Seems better when updates are rolling in but harder to understand

2. To modify the default.lua - Works pretty good with JSGME but default file might change with updates

If you prefer to modify the default.lua then it would be a good idea to use Notepad++ and compare your modified default.lua with the new updated default.lua using the Compare Plugin.

It quickly shows any differences between two files. Very handy to have when modding files.

Regards,

Milli

hi guys, i have a similar issue. For example, i have the GPWiz40, with some switch ON|OFF.

here, i want the switch turn on the APU GEN when the switch is UP, and turn off when the switch is DOWN.

here is the defaut code when it set it into DCS, but it s a toggle in DCS, so i have to put the switch UP even for the APU Off :

["keyDiffs"] = {
	["d1071pnilunilcdnilvdnilvpnilvunil"] = {
		["added"] = {
			[1] = {
				["key"] = "JOY_BTN28",
			},
		},
		["name"] = "APU generator power",

• 5 weeks later...
To make a long story short, the diff only stores the difference between the "stock" DCS files and what you want to do. So even if you make a change to the original stock files, it's worthless unless you assign a key to it.

The BEST way to do this is to create NEW functions with NEW names instead of editing the existing ones.

1. Get JSGME (Generic Mod Enabler).

2. Setup the correct directory structure:

MODS/DCSW -- Controller Overrides/Config/Input/Aircrafts/

3. Copy base_joystick_binding.lua to your mods folder.

THEN:

A. Open base_joystick_binding.lua with notepad or notepad++.

B. Find the commands you want to edit:

{down = iCommandPlaneFlaps, name = 'Flaps Up/Down', category = 'Systems'},

{down = iCommandPlaneFlapsOn, name = 'Flaps Landing Position', category = 'Systems'},

{down = iCommandPlaneFlapsOff, name = 'Flaps Up', category = 'Systems'},

C. Change them to what you want them to do...AND...change the NAME to something unique:

{down = iCommandPlaneFlapsOn, up = iCommandPlaneFlaps, name = 'Flaps Switch Down', category = 'Systems'},

{down = iCommandPlaneFlapsOff, up = iCommandPlaneFlaps, name = 'Flaps Switch Up', category = 'Systems'},

4. Add the modded files via the Generic Mod Enabler

5. Configure the new commands with your joystick as you would normally.

The key point here is that if you rename the commands and store them all at the top of the file, when ED updates in the future, all you should need to do is remove the mod, grab the new file, and copy/paste in all of your changes.

This should also save you for having to keep multiple config files for each aircraft and instead let you change the base template to work properly for all aircraft.

My current config looks like this:

*snip*

keyCommands = {

{down = iCommandPlaneFlapsOn, up = iCommandPlaneFlaps, name = 'Alternate Flaps Switch Down', category = 'Systems'},

{down = iCommandPlaneFlapsOff, up = iCommandPlaneFlaps, name = 'Alternate Flaps Switch Up', category = 'Systems'},

{down = iCommandActiveJamming, up = iCommandActiveJamming, name = 'Alternate ECM', category = 'Countermeasures'},

{down = iCommandPowerOnOff, up = iCommandPowerOnOff, name = 'Alternate Power Switch', category = 'Systems'},

{down = iCommandPlaneFonar, up = iCommandPlaneFonar,name = 'Alternate Canopy Open/Close', category = 'Systems'},

{down = iCommandPlaneCockpitIllumination, up = iCommandPlaneCockpitIllumination, name = 'Alternate Illumination Cockpit', category = 'Systems'},

{down = iCommandPlaneGearUp, up = iCommandPlaneGearDown, name = 'Alternate Landing Gear Toggle', category = 'Systems'},

-- Gameplay

{down = iCommandMissionRestart, name = 'Restart Mission', category = 'Debug'},

*snip*

Note that I designated all of my created options with "Alternate" so they are easier to find in the menu.

This is 95% of what I've been meaning to achieve ever since I got the Warthog (I dislike TARGET, but let's not get into that). I just spent some time with the ideas discussed in that post and have gotten my own little JSGME mod working for the Dora (Flaps, MW-50 and Engine Start/Stop so far), that works like a charm. I think it'll be really easy using the same technique for the Ka-50.

The only problem I had was that the above mentioned file base_joystick_binding.lua only seems to affect FC3 aircraft so that I had to fiddle a bit until I figured I probably have to use one input file for each of the other modules like the Dora, but that's okay. Using your tips it should be easy enough to adjust any input mod when ED changes the input files. (I haven't read the entire thread; maybe there's even an easier way to achieve the goal, but for now I'm really happy)

Amazing explanation, thanks big time! :thumbup:

I'd rep you, but apparently you haven't posted anything in a long while and I can't give rep to any of your recent posts. :(

Anyway, great explanation, I appreciate it. :)

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hey all;

Has anyone figured out how to get their FC3 planes working with the new .lua code?

The default code:

["d315pnilunilcdnilvdnilvpnilvunil"] = {

["added"] = {

[1] = {

["key"] = "JOY_BTN20",

},

},

["name"] = "Electric Power Switch",

},

I have tried the following modifications

Attempt one:

["d315pnilu315cdnilvdnilvpnilvunil"] = {

["added"] = {

[1] = {

["key"] = "JOY_BTN20",

},

},

},

Attempt two:

["added"] = {

[1] = {

["key"] = "JOY_BTN20",

},

},

["name"] = "Feefifofum Power Switch",

},

Both of these have produced the same result; button 20 (the APU switch) completely loses function in the sim.

• 2 weeks later...
Hey all;

Has anyone figured out how to get their FC3 planes working with the new .lua code?

The default code:

["d315pnilunilcdnilvdnilvpnilvunil"] = {

["added"] = {

[1] = {

["key"] = "JOY_BTN20",

},

},

},

I have tried the following modifications

Attempt one:

["added"] = {

[1] = {

["key"] = "JOY_BTN20",

},

},

},

Attempt two:

["added"] = {

[1] = {

["key"] = "JOY_BTN20",

},

},

["name"] = "Feefifofum Power Switch",

},

Both of these have produced the same result; button 20 (the APU switch) completely loses function in the sim.

Tried the exactly the same thing before seeing the post.

Would love to get a solution for this.

Thanks

• 1 month later...

Hi there,

I've copied the default.lua in the joystick map under KA-50. Renamed it to Throttle - HOTAS Warthog.lua editted it and copied it back next to the default.lua

I've modified the line for engage/disengage route mode so it has now an up command as well. The same as the down command.

The line beneath that already has that. The auto descent mode.

Now I binded on the warthog throttle: Speedbrake forward = engage route mode and speedbrake aft = auto descent.

all works as intended. namely speedbrake forward engages routemode. and when set back to neutral it disengages or toggles it off.

Autodescent already functioned as intended because it used 2 commands. descent mode and descentmode off.

But for some reason there are now 2 lines of engage/disengage route mode in the keybinding page in game. There is only one line i can double click and bind the throttle button_8 to. But when I click button 8 the line above that highlights as if choosen. This line is unchangeable in the keybinding page.

What did I do? Did i screw something up? Its working as intended though but why are there 2 lines in there? is that the line from the default.lua?

Also: is there a way to mod in LONG PRESSES? like the warthog does in A10-C? china hat long forward for example?

Edited by kingpinda
spellcheck

But for some reason there are now 2 lines of engage/disengage route mode in the keybinding page in game. There is only one line i can double click and bind the throttle button_8 to. But when I click button 8 the line above that highlights as if choosen. This line is unchangeable in the keybinding page.

I noticed the same problem.

My workaround is to label all changed lines with a new name, usually " ALT {original name}", so e.g. "Engage/Disengage Route Mode" would become " ALT Engage/Disengage Route Mode".

This way, all my new commands show up on top of the list (note the space before "ALT" so that they really show up on top) and they're easy enough to spot. This way I can also easily tell my custom commands from the default ones.

Also: is there a way to mod in LONG PRESSES? like the warthog does in A10-C? china hat long forward for example?

None that I know of, but it would be totally awesome if we could do this! I hope someone knows an easy way to achieve this (but I would prefer a difficult way over none at all ;)).

Hmm thanks Yurgon, I'll rename mine as well. I noticed though with setting on/off toggles in KA-50 to the warthog switches that they don't always register.

For example I've modded the HMS on/off to repeat the command when set to off in the lua file. Then I bind this to the up position of the EAC switch on my throttle. Sometimes when switching the switch down my helmet sight stays up. When switching up it then switches off my HMS and its now out of sync.

Also I've read something about switch states. 0.1, 0.2 etc. Could someone give me an example to set the 3 stages of the missile volleys to the path/alt-hdg/alt switch?

So i want to bind high-mid-low to Path/alt-hdg/alt.

I am aware that the throttle switch is in fact 2 buttons. Button 28 up and 27 down if not mistaken.

So should I take this one line in my Throttle - HOTAS Warthog.lua:

{down = iCommandPlane_WeaponMode_switch , name = _('Weapon mode switch'), category = _('Ins Weapons Status and Control Panel PUI-800')},

and modify it into 2 lines? like so?

{down = iCommandPlane_WeaponMode_switch , up = iCommandPlane_WeaponMode_switch, value_down = 0.1, value_up = 0.2, name = _('up and middle Weapon mode switch'), category = _('Ins Weapons Status and Control Panel PUI-800')},

Bind this to button 28 in keybinds upstate of autopilot switch

{down = iCommandPlane_WeaponMode_switch , up = iCommandPlane_WeaponMode_switch, value_down = 0.3, value_up = 0.2, name = _('down and middle Weapon mode switch'), category = _('Ins Weapons Status and Control Panel PUI-800')},

and bind this to button 27. downstate of the autopilot switch?

I know nothing about lua's... But I'm starting to see some logic in it and I remember something about variables from way back when, meddling a tiny bit in Pascal. So please tell me if i'm on the right track and where to find the states of the buttons. The values that is. And offcourse if above 2 lines are the correct way in doing it. Thanks

Step 1: Note the tooltip text of the switch you want, in this case "Weapon mode switch - Burst Length"

Step 2: Locate your aircraft's clickabledata.lua file and open it in a text editor (I use Notepad++). It is located in C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World\Mods\aircraft\Ka-50\Cockpit\Scripts.

Step 3: Search for the tooltip text to find your switch, it will look something like this:

elements["SR-PTR"]= {class = {class_type.TUMB,class_type.TUMB}, hint = LOCALIZE("Weapon mode switch - Burst Length"),  device = devices.WEAP_INTERFACE, action = {device_commands.Button_4,device_commands.Button_4} , stop_action = {}, arg = {400,400}, arg_value = {-direction*0.1,direction*0.1}, arg_lim = {{0.0, 0.2},{0.0, 0.2}}, use_OBB = true, updatable = true}

Note "arg_lim" from 0.0 to 0.2, and "arg_value" has has a 0.1 multiplier. You don't have to understand every detail of what is going on here (I don't), but it is enough to guess that the values you want are 0.0, 0.1 and 0.2 (0.0 to 0.2 in 0.1 steps). Three-position buttons use 0.0, 0.1 and 0.2 -- except when they don't and it's -1, 0 and 1 instead:

elements["PTR_HUD-TMB-SETKA02"] = { class = {class_type.TUMB, class_type.TUMB}, hint = LOCALIZE("HUD Modes Reticle/Night/Day"), device = devices.HUD, action = {device_commands.Button_2, device_commands.Button_2}, arg = {9, 9}, arg_value = {-direction*1.0, direction*1.0}, arg_lim = {{-1,1}, {-1,1}} }

You get the idea.

So far, we have established that the values for the switch positions are 0.0, 0.1 and 0.2.

We also need a command number. In clickabledata.lua, those are usually written as "device_commands.Button_X", where "Button_X" means 3000+X. For our switch, we want command number 3004. We also need to know the device ID to send the command to. Note "device = devices.WEAP_INTERFACE". In your aircraft's "devices.lua" file, you can learn that WEAP_INTERFACE is device ID 12.

We have gathered the following information:

Device ID: 12

Command: 3004

Argument values: 0.0, 0.1, 0.2

Now we can write entries to add to the Ka-50's "default.lua" input config file (C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World\Mods\aircraft\Ka-50\Input\ka-50\default.lua):

{down = 3004, value_down = 0.2, up = 3004, value_up = 0.1, cockpit_device_id = 12, name = " Weapon mode switch center/up", category = "Ins Weapons Status and Control Panel PUI-800"},
{down = 3004, value_down = 0.0, up = 3004, value_up = 0.1, cockpit_device_id = 12, name = " Weapon mode switch down/center", category = "Ins Weapons Status and Control Panel PUI-800"},

As suggested by Yurgon, I have prepended a space to the name to make the command show up at the top of the list.

The first entry is for the "up" direction of the Warthog Throttle's toggle switch (button 27): when it is pushed down (the switch is moved up), we send command 3004 with an argument of 0.2 to device 12. When it is released (switch back to center), we send command 3004 with an argument of 0.1 to device 12.

The second entry is for the "down" direction of the Warhog Throttle's toggle switch (button 28): when it is pushed down (the switch is moved down), we send command 3004 with an argument of 0.0 to device 12. When it is released (switch back to center), we send command 3004 with an argument of 0.1 to device 12.

After you have edited default.lua, save the file, restart DCS and assign your key bindings in the options.

This should work for any aircraft with a clickable cockpit. Note that sometimes, the "devices.lua" file can be tricky. For example, here's the start of the "devices.lua" file for the UH-1H:

local count = 0
local function counter()
count = count + 1
return count
end
-------DEVICE ID-------
devices = {}
-- moved forward for correct initialization of another devices
-- do not changed folowing sequence for sim
devices["ELEC_INTERFACE"]			= counter() -- 1
devices["FUELSYS_INTERFACE"]		= counter() -- 2
devices["ENGINE_INTERFACE"]			= counter() -- 3
devices["HYDRO_SYS_INTERFACE"]		= counter() -- 4
devices["ADI_PILOT"]				= counter() -- 6
devices["ADI_OPERATOR"]				= counter() -- 7
devices["NAVLIGHT_SYSTEM"]			= counter() -- 8
devices["SOUND_SYSTEM"] 			= counter() -- 9
devices["WEAPON_SYS"]				= counter() -- 10

Note that device IDs are not assigned directly. Instead, the file defines a function called "counter" that returns the next higher value whenever it is called, so the first device (ELEC_INTERFACE) gets 1, FUELSYS_INTERFACE gets 2, etc. Also note the helpful comments that have been provided. Can you spot the trap? (What is the device ID for SOUND_SYSTEM?)

The comments are wrong -- they skip device 5. The Lua interpreter does not care about comments. Device ADI_PILOT has ID 5, not 6. Device ADI_OPERATOR has ID 6, not 7, etc. The correct device ID for SOUND_SYSTEM is 8.

Edited by [FSF]Ian
  • Like 2

[FSF]Ian, thanks for the excellent walkthrough. It looks like i'm on the right track.

I will get this to work quite easily it seems. But could you tell me what the difference is *if any* between your lines in the mods/aircrafts/ka-50/default.lua and my changes in a copied file from mods/aircrafts/ka-50/joystick/default.lua which I renamed to the throttle warthog as registered in the binding page? Throttle - HOTAS Warthog.lua

I planted this next to the default.lua in mods/aircrafts/ka-50/joystick

{down = iCommandPlane_WeaponMode_switch , up = iCommandPlane_WeaponMode_switch, value_down = 0.2, value_up = 0.1, name = _(' Weapon mode switch up/center'), category = _('Ins Weapons Status and Control Panel PUI-800')},

{down = iCommandPlane_WeaponMode_switch , up = iCommandPlane_WeaponMode_switch, value_down = 0.0, value_up = 0.1, name = _(' Weapon mode switch down/center'), category = _('Ins Weapons Status and Control Panel PUI-800')},

3004 = iCommandPlane_WeaponMode_switch so i gather.

You have another ID however:

cockpit_device_id = 12

Perhaps [3004 IN cockpit_device_id = 12] = iCommandPlane_WeaponMode_switch?

I just trying to understand why there are more than 2 ways to make the game do what we want to do. And if any method is better or that it doesnt matter.

edit: Ok I'm going with your method [FSF]Ian. My method doesn't work and yours does. The method I used doesn't register values it seems. it works ok for setting up a 2 way switch by sending the same command when released to mimick functionality but cannot register three way switches. No matter in what state i put the switch in, it only cycles one stage up even when I set the switch to down.

Thanks for your explanation. I will modify all my binds now using the _device_id

Edited by kingpinda

Thanks to this thread I've mostly got the hang of getting these toggle mappings to work with my TM WH, and I'm currently gearing up to build my first panels.

However, with the Huey I'm trying to make the radar altimeter power switch work with the radar altimeter switch on the WH throttle, I made the appropriate changes default.lua, however in DCS the option of mapping that function to the stick or throttle is "greyed out". I'm not sure where I need to be looking next.

Intel 9600K@4.9GHz, Asus Z390, 32GB DDR4, EVGA RTX 3070, Custom Water Cooling, 970 EVO 1TB NVMe

34" UltraWide 3440x1440 Curved Monitor, 21" Touch Screen MFD monitor, TIR5

My Pit Build, VKB Gunfighter Pro w/WH Grip, TMWH Throttle, MFG Crosswinds W/Combat Pedals, Cougar MFDs, Custom A-10C panels, Custom Helo Collective, SimShaker with Transducer

Thanks to this thread I've mostly got the hang of getting these toggle mappings to work with my TM WH, and I'm currently gearing up to build my first panels.

However, with the Huey I'm trying to make the radar altimeter power switch work with the radar altimeter switch on the WH throttle, I made the appropriate changes default.lua, however in DCS the option of mapping that function to the stick or throttle is "greyed out". I'm not sure where I need to be looking next.

From what I can tell modifiying the default or copied lua, there will be 2 identical functions. if they are named the same offcourse. 1 will be greyed out and the other will be clickable. Try the tip posted by Yurgon of putting a space infront of the name so it will appear on the top of the list. That one should work ie. be clickable.

From what I can tell modifiying the default or copied lua, there will be 2 identical functions. if they are named the same offcourse. 1 will be greyed out and the other will be clickable. Try the tip posted by Yurgon of putting a space infront of the name so it will appear on the top of the list. That one should work ie. be clickable.

I've done that, I have several working functions I've made for other aircraft, but with the Huey, the function I created, the two spaces for mapping to the stick or throttle are greyed out. I even copied a similar function from another thread and pasted it in, and it's the same story there too.

Intel 9600K@4.9GHz, Asus Z390, 32GB DDR4, EVGA RTX 3070, Custom Water Cooling, 970 EVO 1TB NVMe

34" UltraWide 3440x1440 Curved Monitor, 21" Touch Screen MFD monitor, TIR5

My Pit Build, VKB Gunfighter Pro w/WH Grip, TMWH Throttle, MFG Crosswinds W/Combat Pedals, Cougar MFDs, Custom A-10C panels, Custom Helo Collective, SimShaker with Transducer

I've done that, I have several working functions I've made for other aircraft, but with the Huey, the function I created, the two spaces for mapping to the stick or throttle are greyed out. I even copied a similar function from another thread and pasted it in, and it's the same story there too.

Have you checked that you have the proper device ID? [FSF]Ian posted this:

local count = 0
local function counter()
count = count + 1
return coun
end

-------DEVICE ID-------
devices = {} -- moved forward for correct initialization of another devices -- do not changed folowing sequence for sim devices["ELEC_INTERFACE"]            = counter() -- 1 
devices["FUELSYS_INTERFACE"]        = counter() -- 2 
devices["ENGINE_INTERFACE"]            = counter() -- 3 
devices["HYDRO_SYS_INTERFACE"]        = counter() -- 4 
devices["ADI_PILOT"]                = counter() -- 6 
devices["ADI_OPERATOR"]                = counter() -- 7 
devices["NAVLIGHT_SYSTEM"]            = counter() -- 8 
devices["SOUND_SYSTEM"]             = counter() -- 9
devices["WEAPON_SYS"]                = counter() -- 10

They left out ID 5 in the comments. so 6=5, 7=6, 8=7 etc.

Edited by kingpinda

• 4 weeks later...

I've been round the houses editing creating .luas. So as much for my memory and maybe helping someone else out. And it appears I only needed to edit One.

I have one non-momentary switch actuated by a landing gear lever. Soz if this has already been explained in the thread and thanks to the OP for putting onto this. So its either on or off, but now on contact it send an up command on release it sends a down cmd.

My Landing Gear Panel entry in the default.lua. with my added line in orange.

--Landing gear panel

{down = iCommandPlaneGear, name = _('Landing Gear Up/Down'), category = _('Landing gear panel')},

{down = iCommandPlaneGearUp, name = _('Landing Gear Up'), category = _('Landing gear panel')},

{down = iCommandPlaneGearDown, name = _('Landing Gear Down'), category = _('Landing gear panel')},

{down = iCommandEmergencyGear, name = _('Auxiliary gear handle'), category = _('Landing gear panel')},

{down = iCommandEmergencyGearCover, name = _('Auxiliary gear handle lock button'), category = _('Landing gear panel')},

{down = iCommandPlaneGearDown,up = iCommandPlaneGearUp,name = _('Landing Gear Up/Down FT'), category = _('Landing gear panel')},

The .lua I edited with the additional line.

C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World\MODS\aircraft\A-10C\Input\A-10C\joystick\default.lua

"many brain cells were lost getting this information" Mon Mothra

• Like 1

skunk160 | Win10 PRO 64bit | i7-4770K 3.50 GHz | 32GB DDR3/1866MHz | GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 1080 x2 | Oculus Rift S | Virpil MongoosT-50CM2 | Virpil F-14B grip | Virpil 200m Curved Extension | PointCTRL | Delta Sim TM Slew | Sim Bandit AHCP | MFG Crosswind Pedals | //FOX2 Switch Boxes | RECARO SPG Seat | AuraSound AST-2B-4 Pro Bass Transducer x2

//FOXTWO Multi-Role Combat Pit Build http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=134745

@skunk160 I found with trial and error that modifiying icommand lines isn't very reliable. If the switch is not synchronised there will be trouble.

The correct way is to follow [FSF]Ian's post #141 on the top of this page.

Getting the 300# command and its Device_ID and the correct argument values. This way if the switch is out of sync it will sync back if you flick the switch.

With a three way switch you need to insert two lines. The up/center line and the down/center line.

I'll try that method, I like the idea of it self synching

skunk160 | Win10 PRO 64bit | i7-4770K 3.50 GHz | 32GB DDR3/1866MHz | GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 1080 x2 | Oculus Rift S | Virpil MongoosT-50CM2 | Virpil F-14B grip | Virpil 200m Curved Extension | PointCTRL | Delta Sim TM Slew | Sim Bandit AHCP | MFG Crosswind Pedals | //FOX2 Switch Boxes | RECARO SPG Seat | AuraSound AST-2B-4 Pro Bass Transducer x2

//FOXTWO Multi-Role Combat Pit Build http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=134745

Hi,

I have search the thread on how to map 2 and 3 ways switches, and I got it working for modules like KA-50, SU-25/T, Mig-21bis.

Does anyone know how to make 3 way flaps to work with Mig-15bis? :helpsmilie:

I'm also interested in an answer to this question. Anyone have a idea?

Btw, Mig15 Flaps has 4 positions :D