Manual Ground Mode Reticle Depression

Ragnar65

Hi guys,

how do I know how much reticle depression I need in manual ground modes? For the F-5E there are charts combining speed, altitude and pitch and give me the appropriate number for RetDepr. For the Hornet there´s no such charts... Any ideas?

Rgds

Ragnar65

X-56 HOTAS, TFRP Pedals

Modules: F-5E, FC3, F/A-18C, Mirage 2000 C, AV-8BNA, FW-190 A-8, F-16C Viper

SystemSpecs: AMD A8-6600K (4x3,9GHz), 16 GB RAM, NVidia GeForce GTX1070 8GB, WIN10 64bit

• 4 months later...

Just curious here;

Why/when would you ever consider using manual mode above ccip mode?

Never really understood the reason why this option is there anyway

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

how do I know how much reticle depression I need in manual ground modes? For the F-5E there are charts combining speed, altitude and pitch and give me the appropriate number for RetDepr. For the Hornet there´s no such charts... Any ideas?

Just guessing, but how about:

• performing a 'regular' CCIP attack

at the point of bomb release

• freeze DCS with 'active pause'

• note: cross position, dive angle, speed, altitude and 'aim-off' point

switch to manual bombing mode

• set depression to match the previous CCIP aim point

repeat with various heights, speeds, etc. and compare depression values to the F-5 table or similar.

Edit: Didn't really work (but I couldn't fly consistent parameters, so perhaps it was that).

Dropping Mk-82 and switching from CCIP to manual I got ~120 mil but bombs always fell long, so ended up using 80 mil depression.

Edited by Ramsay

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

Start with the ones for the F-5 and see how that works out for ya.

Normally that should do it, it's all about ballistics after all and they don't change with the airframe. But you have to remember that those speeds are TAS and you also have to convert them which is kinda dull, because fractions of seconds and stuff. Table speeds are IAS becaue TAS conversion changes depending on atmospheric conditions.

Basically using these tables will result in wild guesstimating (2 out of 3 factors, you can read your altitude and know ground elevation at least) anyway unless you'll spent thousands of hours in training (got better things to do there like CASE Is or AAR), so I ended up bombing the good old WWII way even in the F-5E and with some practice that works well enough - in case I'd have to rely on this in the Hornet, I'd do it the same way and not mess with the depression angle at all.

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg