Discussion AGM-45 shrike

Lascar12F

Hi all,

So we are going to be getting the AGM-45 shrike in the F/A-18C, and to start this is not me complaining, this is a quest for info.

The shrike being a '' variant '' of the AIM-7 can be fired from any aircraft capable of launching the latter.

However, it doesn't mean it was integrated and used on said platform.

My question is does anyone have documents stating that i was actually used in F/A-18C ?

Again, this is not a complain about us getting the AGM-45 of the F/A-18C, it's possible IRL so they are perfectly justified in giving it to us.

Any document or personal experience would be awesome, thanks.

Rafale is the best fighter in the world fight me

I asked the same question before and have been told the Shrike was used on the F/A-18A during Operation El Dorado Canyon in Lybia in 1986, although without any details or sources: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=3352493#post3352493

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

It's listed here on the ordinance fired (with a source): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1986_United_States_bombing_of_Libya#U.S._forces_and_targets

From the numbers there (6 Hornets, 20 HARMs and 4 Shrikes), it seems like five Hornets were fully armed with HARMs (4x each) and one took 4x Shrikes.

Yeah, that's the only time I have seen the Shrike with the Hornet so far and this is with the A-Hornet, while we have the C-Hornet. I really hope ED has some more information that justifies the implementation of the Shrike for the F/A-18C in DCS :huh:

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

Tornado3 small.jpg

Yeah, that's the only time I have seen the Shrike with the Hornet so far and this is with the A-Hornet, while we have the C-Hornet. I really hope ED has some more information that justifies the implementation of the Shrike for the F/A-18C in DCS :huh:

Would there be any reason why it wouldn't be a possible weapon for the C if it was carried and certified for the A?

Would there be any reason why it wouldn't be a possible weapon for the C if it was carried and certified for the A?

Yes, it sometimes happens that more modern variants of an aircraft are not able to carry older weapons anymore that have been used with older variants of the same aircraft. This can have various reasons like changes in wiring, software or avionics that make the new variant incompatible with the weapon.

Tornado3 small.jpg

The problem with the Shrike is that there's a variant for each type of radar. So if you're attacking an SA-2 search radar, you need one shrike variant, and if you're attacking an SA-6, you'd need a completely different shrike variant. And, since this is a study level sim, the shrike is not just going to be a one size fits all kind of weapon like the KH-58 MPU on the su-25.

I can see some servers limiting HARM, just like they limit AMRAAMs, but allowing tons of Shrikes... you'd just have to know what type of air defense you're attacking before you load your aircraft with shrikes.

Perhaps we're getting the Shrike because it could carry them...but also because it's part of the Phantom weaponry?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Primary Computer

ASUS Z390-P, i7-9700K CPU @ 5.0Ghz, 32GB Patriot Viper Steel DDR4 @ 3200Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce 1070 Ti AMP Extreme, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe drives (1Tb & 500 Gb), Windows 10 Professional, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Warthog Stick, Thrustmaster Cougar Throttle, Cougar MFDs x3, Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals and TrackIR 5.

-={TAC}=-DCS Server

Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3, i7-3770K CPU @ 3.90GHz, 32GB G.SKILL Ripjaws DDR3 @ 1600Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce® GTX 970.

I asked the same question before and have been told the Shrike was used on the F/A-18A during Operation El Dorado Canyon in Lybia in 1986, although without any details or sources: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=3352493#post3352493

Thanks man, looks like it did !

From a gameplay perspective the shrike is balanced SU-25T wise so it's cool they are putting it in.

If you need justification for it, the wiring is the same as the AIM-7, and so is the firing, so they don't need any justification for the 18C imo

Rafale is the best fighter in the world fight me