F-86F Sabre or L39 ?

Lenux

Hello,

I want to purchase either F-86F Sabre or L39

Which one would you recommend, guys ?

Thank you

I9 12900k@ 5 GHz | 32 GB DDR4 | Asus ROG  Strix Z690-A Gaming Wifi d4| RTX 3090 | 6 TB SSD + 8 TB HDD | 4K Samsung Q90R 55" | VKB MK III PRO L | Virpil Throttle MONGOOST-50 | MFG Crosswind | TrackIR5

2 entirely different modules. what is your objective?

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

I'd go for the saber because it's a corean war vet - In DCS you can play with un-guided rockets, bombs and heat seeking missiles plu the 6 machine guns. It's idiot proof simple too. I mean - ask for ground power, switch one switch to ground power (it's right above the starter switch), hold the starter for a couple of seconds, press home once to get the fuel mix going, few more seconds, press home again for idle throttle. Switch 'that' switch to battery, ask tower to turn ground power off. Taxi is nose wheel steering which is a key, I think the default is S which you have to hold along with your usual rudder input to get around the runway.

It can take about less than 15 seconds to be operational. Guns and sight you can turn on either taxi or on the way to target

It's a little limited online because of the lack of pvp between mig 15s though which is a shame and you might find the lack of complexity boring for you in a game environment. It's a nice pit and there is a user mod to make the pit less fresh if you want a more worn look.

I don't own the the l39, but it has dual seat and I think can mount a couple of missiles. It's more of a training / aerobatic plane ideal for the aerobatics server than often sees fantastic formation flying.

The l39 does look cooler, but when you should be in the pit managing your aircraft rather than staring at your pretty butt.

I think you'll enjoy either, but if you get the saber you might end up getting the mig 15 too or trying to decide which you'd rather get.

Get all 3!

Edited by BFBunny
being a noob

What about the L-39ZA ? Do i get this one for free, if i buy L39 ?

I9 12900k@ 5 GHz | 32 GB DDR4 | Asus ROG  Strix Z690-A Gaming Wifi d4| RTX 3090 | 6 TB SSD + 8 TB HDD | 4K Samsung Q90R 55" | VKB MK III PRO L | Virpil Throttle MONGOOST-50 | MFG Crosswind | TrackIR5

The L-39ZA and L-39C are part of the same module.

I choose the L-39 over F-86 Sabre for training because it is somewhat more modern having entered service in 1972 and has the Russian RSBN-5 system (similar to TACAN and ILS) as well as ADF (F-86 only has ADF).

There are only 4 airfield with RSBN-5 in the Caucuses theatre but there are enough NDBs to fly somewhat realistically to Russian AIP Charts.

I've substituted the L-39 for the Sabre and Hawk in few air to ground missions by adjusting the opposing aircraft/ground forces and they worked quite well.

The Sabre is of course combat focused, has a higher rate of climb and it's flight/systems model more mature.

The main disadvantage the L-39 and F-86 share is the lack of a pre-programed steer points and the need to use the F10 map for radio/visual navigation as the Kneeboard almost assumes you are flying an A-10C or Ka-50 with a moving map and EGI. The L-39 is still fun, just hard work at times, as everything is done the old fashion way.

Low level - by visual navigation (This is a Sabre Attack but it'd be the same in the L-39)

High level - by radio navigation

Both are simple to learn/hard to master aircraft, I'd suggest the L-39 is more ground focused and the F-86 more air focused but that may just be the way I use them. YMMV

Edited by Ramsay

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

It's true the l39 is newer but sabre still has more advancced systems in certain areas than the l39, and would overall be more combat capable, which s why l39 isnt as modern as one would think.

IE a A4 radar ranging gunsight , and better more accurate bombing modes. The l39 is still shares the same gyro ASP3N gunsight from the mig15.

I would choose the sabre. I should mention it was my first "trainer" and my first full fidelity module in dcs ( after first flying with the FC3 pack), before actual trainers were in DCS.

sure the l39 is more modern, but the f86f still can conduct light bombing role, as well as air to air role, and this is a post korean war version reffited with the ability to arm early generation sidewinders (gar8/aim9b) therefore not limited to strictly guns only like the korean version were.

despite being older, f86f still has more powerfull engine with more thrust, therefore better acceleration and climb, as well as a much faster top speed in level flight over the l39, while still being very maneuverable.

The f86 is very user freindly aircraft, its not hard to fly and doesnt have any nasty flight charactersitics. neither does the l39 but l39 really doesnt like high g turns, it will bleed speed fast and likes to stall in tight turns.

F86f has a radar ranging unit which helps it track and adjust the pipper for lead against targeted aircraft, as awell as the radar assisting the pilot in dive bombing. you can either maual release or let the system's auto release ( early ccrp mode) help out.

ultimately 2 different planes

one was meant as a front line fighter with fighter bombing capability , within the early 50s. while l39 introduced in early 70s was strickly a pilot trainer with some air to ground capability, which pilots would then move on to flying actual fighter jets of the time period.

I own both now, and stil have fun in the l39 but ultimately i still consider the f86 more desirable for combat duties than the l39c or even the za.

Edited by Kev2go

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z790 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 12700k ,Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64gb ram (3600 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia RTX 3080 12gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; Samsung 970 EVo, , Samsung evo 860 pro 1 TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD,  WD 1TB HDD

You can ask a player who owns a l39 to seat share and actually have a play with it before buying too.

Wait, what!? explain this please. can a non-L39 owner take the front seat and be the student, and have full access to the aircraft? What would they need to download?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The Museum Relic Campaign: --> http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=164322

Community Missions (SP & MP) --> https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=205546

I'd get the L-39, not just because it's a great aircraft, but because it also feels a little more at home in DCS World right now.

The Sabre is great and it's fun to dogfight with the Mig-15, but it's missing some Korean War content that would make for some interesting campaigns.

PC Specs / Hardware: MSI z370 Gaming Plus Mainboard, Intel 8700k @ 5GHz, MSI Sea Hawk 2080 Ti @ 2100MHz, 32GB 3200 MHz DDR4 RAM

Displays: Philips BDM4065UC 60Hz 4K UHD Screen, Pimax 8KX

Controllers / Peripherals: VPC MongoosT-50, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, modded MS FFB2/CH Combatstick, MFG Crosswind Pedals, Gametrix JetSeat

I have both. Love the L-39, but would choose the F-86 if I could only have one....... because I love the dogfight. The L-39 (trainer) will lose most all the time against any jet fighter. Quite possibly even against a good simmer flying with a prop.

BadBud

Never had as much fun as with the L-39 to be honest. The F-86 is still in beta and there are still some bugs (e.g. windshield is incorrect), the L-39 is released and looks exactly like the real thing, is made by ED directly (= quality) and comes in 2 versions.

It's an incredible platform for doing precision aerobatics, and a great trainer all around. And it looks beautiful.

Just my 2 cents

Windows 10 - Intel i7 7700K 4.2 Ghz (no OC) - Asus Strix GTX 1080 8Gb - 16GB DDR4 (3000 MHz) - SSD 500GB + WD Black FZEX 1TB 6Gb/s

Never had as much fun as with the L-39 to be honest. The F-86 is still in beta and there are still some bugs (e.g. windshield is incorrect), the L-39 is released and looks exactly like the real thing, is made by ED directly (= quality) and comes in 2 versions.

It's an incredible platform for doing precision aerobatics, and a great trainer all around. And it looks beautiful.

Just my 2 cents

really? windshield looks fine to me when comparing real life counterpart to the in game model.

http://nhi.a.la9.jp/HAMAMATSU/F-86F-5.jpg

http://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/images/products/sabre/01.jpg

only thing f86f is truly missing is some training missions, but its no big deal, its a easy aircraft to get up and running. Besides those are coming fairly soon. the are already downloadable for preview/testing atm.

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=158252

at the same time F86F can bomb more accurately than the l39 due to the ranging sight, which also has automatic release (early ccrp) mode. L39 has a basic gyro, the ASP3N sight like the mig15 has.

Edited by Kev2go

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z790 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 12700k ,Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64gb ram (3600 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia RTX 3080 12gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; Samsung 970 EVo, , Samsung evo 860 pro 1 TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD,  WD 1TB HDD

The L-39 module is pretty interesting, but I never spent my childhood wishing to fly one. The F-86 and its equally legendary opponent, the MiG-15, are aircraft that have had an entire sim built around them. If I could only buy one DCS World Module of those presently, the F-86 would be competing for the top of the list. I fly it as much or more than any other module. The controls easier than the P-51D and the combat capability is almost the same aside from having a radar ranging sight instead of a manually ranged one.

However, my interest in the L-39 is higher than it otherwise would be:

1) I see them flying overhead almost daily in Kissimmee.

2) The DCS flight model is really fun and interesting at the edges of the envelope.

Of the available trainers in DCS, I find the L-39 is the most enjoyable to fly. The flight model alone makes it worth it. But make no mistake, if I had been limited on funds for DCS modules, the trainers would be the first to go. The F-86 would be one of the last.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]