Instal DCS World from repository from other drive

Hi,

I just had a nice clean windows 7 installation. When I try to install DCS World it starts downloading everything again but I have DCS World installation moved to other drive before reinstalling windows. Is there any chance to force installer to use these files ?

Thanks in advance,

=Pedro=

Gigabyte Z390 Gaming X | i7 9700K@5.0GHz | Asus TUF OC RTX 4090 | 32GB DDR4@3200MHz | HP Reverb G2 | TrackIR 5 | TM Warthog HOTAS | MFG Croswinds

Maybe create the directory structure and copy the stuff from the "downloads" directory?

*or* just copy the stuff back and run repair on it?

This link shows you all the options available including how to repair the install

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=114030

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

Maybe create the directory structure and copy the stuff from the "downloads" directory?

*or* just copy the stuff back and run repair on it?

This link shows you all the options available including how to repair the install

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=114030

Thanks Buddy but I already dowloaded all the Staff.

Gigabyte Z390 Gaming X | i7 9700K@5.0GHz | Asus TUF OC RTX 4090 | 32GB DDR4@3200MHz | HP Reverb G2 | TrackIR 5 | TM Warthog HOTAS | MFG Croswinds

What hansangb was saying is to copy all the files back onto your new PC install.

You do not need to reinstall DCS, just copy and past to whatever drive you like, then go to the bin folder.

C\D\E\F drive? etc

E:\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World 2 OpenAlpha\bin

Recreate the DCS shortcuts seen below and that's it! Launch DCS, login and your good to go, no new windows install needed.:)

If you need to repair? Then as hansangb said, you can find the instructions HERE using the windows Command prompt to repair.

attachment.php?attachmentid=173143&stc=1&d=1512208919

DCS.png.4a742d2b3e6dbc651e5c0c8b0acd70d6.png

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

This will work only if you have C:\Users\myuser\Savegames\DCS.... untouched. Otherwise not possible. My question is why during fresh installation of DCS the installer does not use existing files from other drive and keep downloading fresh files from server repository. Anyway thank you guys for your help.

I know the DCS_Updater guide very well but this is not the case I could make a use of it.

I think I know what your looking for now, your installing say 2.1 and DCS is not using some of the copied over 1.5 installation, as it possibly needs the windows registry entry to find it etc.

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

IF (and that's a big IF) installer creates main folder, bin sub-folder and puts dcs_updater file over there at the beginning, I wonder if one could use the updater's cross-file copying functionality to install the rest of the game.

You know, by creating a dcs_local_source.txt file with the complete path to the other, existing install typed in it. After all, nowadays, I believe the updater doesn't need registry entries when updating one DCS install using files from the other.

Edited by Art-J
  • Like 1

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

IF (and that's a big IF) installer creates main folder, bin sub-folder and puts dcs_updater file over there at the beginning, I wonder if one could use the updater's cross-file copying functionality to install the rest of the game.

You know, by creating a dcs_local_source.txt file with the complete path to the other, existing install typed in it. After all, nowadays, I believe the updater doesn't need registry entries when updating one DCS install using files from the other.

How about just copying DCS 1.5 twice and upgrading one of them to 2.1 alpha using the updater :)

DCS_updater.exe update @release

DCS_updater.exe update @openbeta

DCS_updater.exe update @openalpha

• Like 1

How about just copying DCS 1.5 twice and upgrading one of them to 2.1 alpha using the updater :)

DCS_updater.exe update @release

DCS_updater.exe update @openbeta

DCS_updater.exe update @openalpha

Yup, that's what I'd do, as I installed every one of them only once as well, but I understand folks who are researching various methods of speeding up the "clean" installation process (though I'd say "clean" is questionable if it uses files from existing copy anyway :D).

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

I think I know what your looking for now, your installing say 2.1 and DCS is not using some of the copied over 1.5 installation, as it possibly needs the windows registry entry to find it etc.

DCS needs no windows registry other than for Starforce as for what I know.

I copy my 3 installs across the entire scope of drives and only need to redo my links, if I even wish to do that.

Skate's tool is a very helpful piece of software for managing DCS installs that have not been linked into Startmenu, so to say.

You can copy or move DCS anywhere and start it, as long as it stays on your hardware not even starforce will moan.

I still recommend a repair ( with the help of SkateZilla's tool for example, ) after moving that many files around, just to be safe, it only takes 1 click and 30 seconds :thumbup:

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

DCS needs no windows registry other than for Starforce as for what I know.

I copy my 3 installs across the entire scope of drives and only need to redo my links, if I even wish to do that.

Skate's tool is a very helpful piece of software for managing DCS installs that have not been linked into Startmenu, so to say.

You can copy or move DCS anywhere and start it, as long as it stays on your hardware not even starforce will moan.

I still recommend a repair ( with the help of SkateZilla's tool for example, ) after moving that many files around, just to be safe, it only takes 1 click and 30 seconds :thumbup:

Nice to read but it does not work after reinstalling windows though ;) and I tried twice...

Nice to read but it does not work after reinstalling windows though ;) and I tried twice...

I have told many users here on the forum =Pedro= that all you do when building a new PC or Moving DCS to a new SSD Drive is just copy the whole "Eagle Dynamics" Folder to an external drive.

When building a new PC, deactivate your modules first, this might change with the new DRM very soon.

Rebuild the new PC, install Windows 7/ 10 and all drivers.

Copy the full "Eagle Dynamics" Folder back to the new PC and you are good to go, never heard of any problems doing that. If you want to keep your key bindings, then copy C:\Users\myuser\Savegames\DCS. This is optional as DCS will recreate this file anyway, I had problems with an update a while ago, all I did was rename this file and launched DCS and it built a new C:\Users\myuser\Savegames\DCS.

Once you copy this "Eagle Dynamics" Folder over to the new PC (To anywhere any Drive) run the repair on it like Bitmaster said.

Launch DCS from the DCS bin folder DCS.exe or DCS_updater.exe

I'm interested to know why this is not working for you? You do not need to run any of the installers found here.

If you do that, then yes, DCS will download "all" the files online I believe? Never done it, never needed to.

Edited by David OC

I have told many users here on the forum =Pedro= that all you do when building a new PC or Moving DCS to a new SSD Drive is just copy the whole "Eagle Dynamics" Folder to an external drive.

When building a new PC, deactivate your modules first, this might change with the new DRM very soon.

Rebuild the new PC, install Windows 7/ 10 and all drivers.

Copy the full "Eagle Dynamics" Folder back to the new PC and you are good to go, never heard of any problems doing that. If you want to keep your key bindings, then copy C:\Users\myuser\Savegames\DCS. This is optional as DCS will recreate this file anyway, I had problems with an update a while ago, all I did was rename this file and launched DCS and it built a new C:\Users\myuser\Savegames\DCS.

Once you copy this "Eagle Dynamics" Folder over to the new PC (To anywhere any Drive) run the repair on it like Bitmaster said.

Launch DCS from the DCS bin folder DCS.exe or DCS_updater.exe

I'm interested to know why this is not working for you? You do not need to run any of the installers found here.

If you do that, then yes, DCS will download "all" the files online I believe? Never done it, never needed to.

Thank you for a great advice :) It seems I didn't deactivate the modules in the first place. So I had 2 options - to install all again or to go back in time (not possible yet) :) Dcs_updater.exe shown some error so I decided to install a fresh copy of DCS.

the process is pretty simple and straightforward:

DEACTIVATE ALL MODULES --->copy/move DCS folder(s) to new drive --> repair DCS ---> activate & fly.

I just did that myself across 3 drives back and forth, did a repair for all and it works.

The only thing that wont are my controller files, DCS refuses to accept any of them in all installs, quite a pain now :(

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

the process is pretty simple and straightforward:

DEACTIVATE ALL MODULES --->copy/move DCS folder(s) to new drive --> repair DCS ---> activate & fly.

I just did that myself across 3 drives back and forth, did a repair for all and it works.

The only thing that wont are my controller files, DCS refuses to accept any of them in all installs, quite a pain now :(

This is one of the reasons why I'm may go back to Target. I can go dig out my ...user...SAVED GAMES files, but it gets annoying. The problem is it won't help me with button boxes. Oh well.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

This is one of the reasons why I'm may go back to Target. I can go dig out my ...user...SAVED GAMES files, but it gets annoying. The problem is it won't help me with button boxes. Oh well.

yeah..I fiddled with it until I won !!!!!!!!! hehe

you need to define 1 button in the airframe so you get the new controller ID, then copy that "name of file" to your old file and then LOAD it through the gui. Still some work but way better than doing it all "all over again".

They should be Cloud-based, imho.

yeah..I fiddled with it until I won !!!!!!!!! hehe

you need to define 1 button in the airframe so you get the new controller ID, then copy that "name of file" to your old file and then LOAD it through the gui. Still some work but way better than doing it all "all over again".

They should be Cloud-based, imho.

Yeah, I knew about the GUID issues. In fact, there are some programs that can help you with changing the GUID.

I actually wished they would make hierarchical commands. So things like HOTAS functions can be assigned universally for every module. Oh well. DCS still kicks ass compared to any other sim.

I would look at Falcon again, but they don't support VR so they are dead to me! :D:pilotfly:

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

VR, despite the inferior Pixel count, is phenomenal, I totally agree.

Tho, the bad news is, I am hooked... I want 4k-VR "NOW" and a 3080GTx-Ti with 32GB GDDR6 or HBM2 to fire 2 x 4k AMOLED :joystick:

That much to tasting a forbidden fruit :music_whistling:

LOL. I KS supported the Pimax "8K" for the wider field of view. I'll let you know how the ambrosia tastes! :)

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

This will work only if you have C:\Users\myuser\Savegames\DCS.... untouched. Otherwise not possible.

No, those 2 storage locations have no linking or such. you can and should only copy/move the dcs install folder and let the game create a new saved games folder. you may copy/reimport your controller files but do not copy saved games to new install.

in fact, often deleting that folder cures some errors, dcs creates a new one if it needs to.

copy, repair, fly