Su27 Tempurature Dependent Thrust

M0ltar

Is the new thrust model in Beta and Alpha for the Flanker and Flanker-D accurate? I personally have no idea, I just noticed a pretty large change in power and acceleration all through the power range. I used to be able to climb at 90% no problem after departure from an airfield, but now find it very very slow and I have to keep my climb rate very low. Also 85% thrust, which I used to use for cruise, is not almost completely unusable. I find that if I do use that power setting to cruise decelerate to 500-600 IAS in no time.

I by now means am an expert on this subject which is why I felt like asking here would be he best place to see where others think this should lie.

It might be that now we have to follow a more standard procedure. I think the manual indicates a Mach 0.5 climb to 12,000 meters at full military power.

What I noticed this morning, and this may have been there for awhile already without me noticing it earlier, is that ambient temperature also has an effect on tire "friction". You turn much more rapidly in hot weather than cool.

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU1...CR6IZ7crfdZxDg

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.

That's good news overall, however, I am concerned a little that the AI doesn't have the same limitations - which would make dogfights a little tough as they could easily outclimb you. Wasn't there a push by ED to have the AI share the same limitations in terms of flight modelling, at least to some extent?

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

Gear: HP Reverb G2 | JetPad FSE | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.III w/ MCG Ultimate

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

I do like the more realistic approach. does the Eagle and Mirage have the same dependency applied to it? Could be at a significant disadvantage if not.

Interesting about the tire friction. I'll have check that out.

I only discovered it this morning because I was attempting to use a TRK with a climb to 10,000 m to test the effect of temp on thrust.

I set the temp to 15°C for the first run and saved the TRK. Then opened it in the ME and changed the temp to 0°C, saved it, and began viewing it. Lo and behold, I ran off the taxiway after a turn because I didn't turn sharply enough. ???? Went and watched the original and it played back correctly. ??? Went and altered the original 15° to 35°C. Saved and watched the TRK and ran off the taxiway again after the turn. But this time because I had turned too sharply. :idea:

Edited by Ironhand

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU1...CR6IZ7crfdZxDg

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.

Sounds normal - all PFM-type FMs should have this; not just Mirage and Eagle, but also A-10, F-5, MiG-21, etc.

I don't remember if a bug regarding this was fixed in the F-15, but it's had this temperature dependence for a long time ( but with a bug which reversed hot/cold performance ).

In general it matches the -1 climb charts, something that isn't available in the flanker manual IIRC.

Broadly speaking there are several climb techniques depending on what you want to achieve; you can sometimes find them in manuals, or you just might find the most fuel efficient one.

1) Most fuel efficient climb to altitude

2) Minimum horizontal range to climb to altitude

3) Minimum time climb to altitude

These techniques tend to prescribe different entry/exit and sustain speed/mach numbers based on using MIL or MAX power.

Is the new thrust model in Beta and Alpha for the Flanker and Flanker-D accurate? I personally have no idea, I just noticed a pretty large change in power and acceleration all through the power range. I used to be able to climb at 90% no problem after departure from an airfield, but now find it very very slow and I have to keep my climb rate very low. Also 85% thrust, which I used to use for cruise, is not almost completely unusable. I find that if I do use that power setting to cruise decelerate to 500-600 IAS in no time.

I by now means am an expert on this subject which is why I felt like asking here would be he best place to see where others think this should lie.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

That's good news overall, however, I am concerned a little that the AI doesn't have the same limitations - which would make dogfights a little tough as they could easily outclimb you. Wasn't there a push by ED to have the AI share the same limitations in terms of flight modelling, at least to some extent?

You're right, the AI use a simple flight model, and can do some pretty outrageous stuff. It definitely needs more attention, but of course, until 2.5 is out, I don't think we'll see movement on anything else apart from individual modules owned by 3rd party developers.

I'm sure ED will have a list as long as your arm regarding bug fixes and improvements for many years to come. We can only hope they share our viewpoint on what matters most.

• Like 1

I do like the more realistic approach. does the Eagle and Mirage have the same dependency applied to it? Could be at a significant disadvantage if not.

I haven't tested the Eagle but the Mirage has the same dependency applied.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

64th "Scorpions" Aggressor Squadron

Discord: 64th Aggressor Squadron

TS: 195.201.110.22