Today’s change log? Rather short.......

AvroLanc

Does anyone hear that little constant beeping sound as soon as you select A/A missiles. It doesn't want to go away no matter what.

Selecting the AIM-9X will cause it that beeping, even if you select another missile. I noticed the beeping stopped once I fired all my 9X, but on one flight it continued to beep even with none left.

run come save me

As is, how many of you are comfortable taking the Hornet into combat?
I'm much more comfortable taking the Hornet over M2K to be honest and I lost my desire to fly any FC3 fighters these days, not sure why.

Mastering others is strength. Mastering yourself is true power. - Lao Tze

Any idea how to get open beta to update?

Cmd

navigate to game bin folder , dcs.updater.exe update.

CPU: Intel I7 7700k /Ram:32gb_ddr4

GFX: Nvidia Asus 1080 8Gb

Mon: Asus vg2448qe 24"

Disk: SSD

Stick: TM Warthog #1400/Saitek pro pedals/TIR5/TM MFDs

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I guess there are still some guys on vacation. Just expected to see the fixed gear drag (this one). But well, first landing with the update will show if it maybe slipped in despite the lack of mention in the patch notes fsgrin.png

And as always, there's plenty to play around with and to pile up more bug reports on rdlaugh.png

Is the update Open beta or on the Stable version? Can't seem to get DCS to update on mine (Stable) ?

I'd highly recommend to run "DCS_updater.exe update @openbeta" in the bin folder once. At the moment there's really no reason to stay on the Stable branch, you just have to wait another week and none of the takeovers from OpenBeta to Stable include any fixes, so basically you're just lagging behind by a week.

I'm much more comfortable taking the Hornet over M2K to be honest and I lost my desire to fly any FC3 fighters these days, not sure why.

I basically stopped flying the FC3 thingies when the MiG-21 was released and even before that I rarely touched them since DCS is DCS. OK, every now and then I might still take the Su-25 (even rather the basic one if it's not just for SEAD) for ground attack or the F-15C in case I just want to go fast. Might also be because the Flanker's trim is still bogus after so many years. And the MiG-29 still has no FM, I loved that one in Lock On, but I totally can't stand that flying on rails, strange rudder behaviour and the sticky runways anymore. But I guess that will come with MAC. I'm not the fighter type anyway, so not much of a loss for me. I prefer using the fast and agile planes for mudmoving though dealwithit.png

Edited by Eldur

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

Still doesn't fill me with confidence to be honest i'll give it a try, then promptly put it down again with the firm feeling of "its not ready." Unless it's as a bomb truck, hoping the hostile/friendly RWR changes will help a bit more with SA but until it gets some form of radar assisted IFF tracking and it can tell me that the target i have locked is 100% hostile, she stays parked more often than not.

I am with you on the IFF issue. BVR (without cheating with F10) is a bit of a gamble.

In the absence of a friendly IFF return, the APG radar, together with the IFF, determine that it's an enemy. Modern radars ( Superhornet) have radar cross section software that compares the return and gives a "type" on the radar DDI. This stuff is clearly "classified", but can be simulated as the "HITS" mode. Typically with a "21/23/29/31.." etc.

If we ever get to the modern data link from AWACS/Rivetjoint,, we can know the position of all the enemy! Not just aircraft, but ground troop movements and threats!:smilewink: But we would need a Typhoon or F35....LOL:music_whistling:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]i7 Haswell @ 4.6Ghz, Z97p, GTX1080, 32GB DDR3, x3SSD, Win7/64, professional. 32" BenQ, TIR 5, Saitek x55 HOTAS.

Search User Files for "herky" for my uploaded missions. My flight sim videos on You Tube. https://www.youtube.com/user/David Herky

It's been fixed internally already. Hoping for a quick hotfix.

What do you mean with

" it's been fixed internally already"?

I9 12900k@ 5 GHz | 32 GB DDR4 | Asus ROG  Strix Z690-A Gaming Wifi d4| RTX 3090 | 6 TB SSD + 8 TB HDD | 4K Samsung Q90R 55" | VKB MK III PRO L | Virpil Throttle MONGOOST-50 | MFG Crosswind | TrackIR5

What do you mean with

" it's been fixed internally already"?

it means that ED have fixed the issue, but have not released that fix to the public builds yet.

Rig: intel i9-9900kf @ 1.21 gigawatts of electricity | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro | EVGA 1080 Ti SC2 Gaming

with today's update i've noted that radar scan mode can be switched between HI - MED- HI/MED Interleaved.

Anyone can confirm?

I5-7600K@4,8Ghz - G Skill TridentZ 16Gb 3200 CL14 - Aorus GTX 1080TI - Samsung 950 PRO 512GB NVMe M.2 PCIe 3.0 x4 - Lenovo 24'' 1440p - Hotas Warthog - TrackIR 5

DCS 2.5 OB - M2000C - Mig21Bis - A10C - FC3 - AJS37 Viggen - F5E - AV8B N/A - F/A18 C - L 39 Albatros - Bf109 - Spitfire - P51D - Black Shark 2 - Nevada - Persian Gulf - Normandy

As is, how many of you are comfortable taking the Hornet into combat?

Haven't flown anything else on Blue Flag, Dynamic DCS or 104th servers since the Hornet came out...so pretty comfortable. Even moreso now that more and more goodies are being added to the arsenal.

VR Cockpit (link):

Custom Throttletek F/A-18C Throttle w/ Hall Sensors + Otto switches | Slaw Device RX Viper Pedals w/ Damper | VPC T-50 Base + 15cm Black Sahaj Extension + TM Hornet or Warthog Grip | Super Warthog Wheel Stand Pro | Steelcase Leap V2 + JetSeat SE

VR Rig:

Pimax 5K+ | ASUS ROG Strix 1080Ti | Intel i7-9700K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master | Corsair H115i RGB Platinum | 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200 | Dell U3415W Curved 3440x1440

Yes me as well...couldn't imagine enjoying sitting in the F-15 as I once did. The interactive cockpit of the Hornet is amazing in VR.

hornet's fine, as long as you are ready to deal with the fallout when you inevitably waste a friendly every fourth kill because the IFF is unreliable as fug

targeting a "hostile" A-10. lock. roll into HUD nose-on. wait 15s. hostile. switches to friendly two seconds later. 10 seconds later it flips back to hostile. fire sparrow, immediately switches to friendly. two seconds before hit, hostile again, sparrow impact, switches back to friendly.

cik has hit RED A-10 xxx 20 points awarded

wew

obviously sparrows still suck. maybe with the addition of flood they will be better as the critical weakness is just that the radar loses lock as soon as the enemy starts a halfhearted turn in any direction.

as a missile truck it's excellent, 6x AIM-9M is nothing to sneeze at. as a low-speed knife-fighter it's excellent, properly flown it eats su-27/mig-29 for lunch, anything else save maybe mirage is no competition whatsoever.

my advice, R-27R/T vs AIM-7/9 is shoot two sparrows at a time to unload and force defense starting at 10nm (assuming decent altitude) start unloading lots of sidewinders early and often, then split. often you will bag them as they run out of flares and/or fail to spot sidewinder launches (smokeless motor) assuming you are not tangling with archer-carriers, you can easily flow straight through the merge and bag them with little chance of failure, assuming they don't have friends.

if you have AMRAAM you win by default so just use your standard eaglestrategy - wait until nez, laughing at everyone's attempts to shoot you with 2 chaff bundles, unload an AMRAAM, crank, support, skate. same should really apply here save the radar's worse.

Edited by Cik

I was really looking forward to the rwr hud indication and offset features

Perhaps ED want to put everything together and release in one update.

Well too bad they are actually in :D

Can't see it yet... wait... no... there's a new bug in here, hellouw! I switched on my Rwr, but it immediately went off again. Have it mapped to a key, and it just stays on as long as the button is kept pressed now. Not so nice if you ask me, that should be a separate "Special for HOTAS" mapping instead.

But the best thing about this update is this:

attachment.php?attachmentid=192130&stc=1&d=1534370337

It's just there sitting in the background while DCS runs just fine. I'm too shy clicking any of those buttons yet because I know both would close DCS instantly rdlaugh.png

But maybe I should, perhaps something failed loading, giving me problems now that I wouldn't normally have rainbowdashwink.png

Edit: Had a nice shader glitch due to that crash though. Just see the attached pics for pleasure... went away after a DCS restart fsgrin.png

dcs-unfortunately.jpg.088d916414927546e3408048a031fa6a.jpg

1152505437_DCS2018-08-1523-33-20-82.thumb.jpg.0d79f58e83e47fe8b55fd7c84b45f3a1.jpg

122781638_DCS2018-08-1600-38-58-61.thumb.jpg.804ed26d5b53e30c48f2758101994cfb.jpg

71219948_DCS2018-08-1600-38-08-78.thumb.jpg.2304c88c419bfc48ddea7ad47c2db527.jpg

Edited by Eldur

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

I'll turn the question around, if it's not ready now, when is it ready?

In terms of Air to Air, what's missing?

(For air-to-ground, it's not ready. I'd say obviously.)

Full IFF simulation.

If you're in multiplayer and have a GCI who can help with IFF, then using it right now should not be a problem.

IFF has been described with words like unreliable by real pilots about their real airplanes, but what we have does seem a bit over-the-top. But it feels like making it this bad is harder than making it work well. It could be the "full IFF" we'll get is more about how information is presented (e.g. radar screen) than how it currently determines what is friendly or not.

They apparently want to overhaul IFF in general, but I don't know if that'll be done before the F18 is 'released'.

Datalink/SA

A really big deal - if you have friendly assets around.

May do more for IFF than what we have too. It might be an input for the IFF system, even. If you can expect friendlies to be displayed, and there are no friendlies where you have a radar contact, you know it's not a friendly. (But might be civilian, eventually?)

Will our f18 be able to fire missiles on datalink contacts?

AA Radar modes

...in particular TWS.

HMD

Makes the 9X quite powerful. Some increased SA in dogfights. Pure bonus, however.

EW S/A AUTO modes

We've had bypass mode since day 1, and manual right now.

Jammer

These don't do a whole lot of good in the current missile climate.

ATFLIR or other EO pod

... which I presume can be slaved to a radar contact, allowing you to get a visual ID at BVR ranges.