Improving visuals under VR for boat recoveries

swimbody

VR is the best thing. At night, I have done my first trap yesterday. It went easier than at daylight ;)

The only issues in VR at niight (no NVG) is the carrier's light are a bit touh to see due to resolution limitation, but i did it once and landed perfectly :)

I was always skeptical of VR. I've read all the reviews (screen door this, hazy that...) then I just said %$@& it. The first time I donned the visor was in DCS (Harrier). The biggest issue I had during this first session was trying to grab on to things like canopy bow, switches, levers. For me the biggest change was not the field of view or head movement but the 3D effect and the perception of true size/proportions. Things like formation flying, ACM, etc. become more intuitive.

The field of view is actually not that bad. Yes, I know the numbers... R/L vs. current headset. It just feels like wearing some sort of... limited HMD :)

When you do ACM you find yourself doing stuff that real pilots do like leaning and pushing against something to get a better view (w/o G's of course).

I can feel occasional and very mild onset of vertigo, very briefly, for instance: when turning and looking to the outside of the turn. No more then half a second.

Now, the performance was always good on my rig. I did have lots of stuttering and crashes initially but it all went away. I tried a number of things at the same time so I don't really know for sure what the fix was. This was not related to VR though.

The funniest things with VR is when flying with others using it, like when going in HoT and hearing each others « arghh,, ohhh » as you try to turn around your shoulders to look back :)

Lol I can't tell you the number of times after first getting my Rift I would open the canopy in the Spit and try to grab onto the frame with my left hand.

Those first few times took some adjusting to figure out what was reality versus what was VR.

Man I so love VR!

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Lol I can't tell you the number of times after first getting my Rift I would open the canopy in the Spit and try to grab onto the frame with my left hand.

Those first few times took some adjusting to figure out what was reality versus what was VR.

Man I so love VR!

lol

Yeah tell me about it, so many tiems i hop in the Hornet, look down and tel myself « Damn man, you lost quite some weight there ! » Need to say when i take off my Rift i say « Damn dude, you got fat ! » :P

I play mostly single player training missions, but with my Rift and PD 1.5 2xAA things work pretty well (even with my weak 1060). I can see the ball fairly early in the groove and I’ve finally learned how to tanker with minimal problems. VR makes landing so much more natural. VR has pushed me exclusively to DCS from BMS. Can’t wait for the 1180 (?2080) and Pimax 8k or CV2 to launch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AMD Ryzen 5 3600 (OC @ 4.2GHz) | MSI B450 Tomahawk | 32GB G. Skill Trident Z Neo DDR4 3200 | MSI Duke RTX 2080ti | 500 GB Samsung 860 EVO M.2 SSD | 250GB Samsung 850 EVO SSD | Track IR 5 | HP Reverb | TM Warthog HOTAS (with Delta Sim Slew Mod) | TM F/A 18 Stick | TM TPR Pedals | TM Cougar MFDs | Jetseat FSE | Windows 10 Pro

DCS Modules: CA | FC3 | F-86 | UH-1 | Spitfire | P-51D | BF 109K-4 | F-5E | F-14 | F/A-18C | Normandy | Nevada | Persian Gulf

I play mostly single player training missions, but with my Rift and PD 1.5 2xAA things work pretty well (even with my weak 1060). I can see the ball fairly early in the groove and I’ve finally learned how to tanker with minimal problems. VR makes landing so much more natural. VR has pushed me exclusively to DCS from BMS. Can’t wait for the 1180 (?2080) and Pimax 8k or CV2 to launch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And I can't wait for Belsimtek/ED to make the F16!

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

You and me both (CV2).

I am hanging my hat on Oculus for now.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Man I so love VR!

Yeah, make sure to get your harness in place. I have fallen out of my F5 cockpit while tying to hold on to the canopy wall to look back wards ;)

X-Plane 11.5x / DCS 2.5.6 / P3Dv5 / Aerofly FS 2 / War Thunder

Win10-x64 | ASUS Z390 Maximus VI | Intel i7-9700K @3.6GHz | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB DDR4 | 6TB SSD Samsung 850 Pro | 2TB M2 PCI 4x | ASUS GTX 1080 ROG STRIX 8GB DDR5X | TM Hotas Warthog | Saitek Combat Pedals | Oculus Rift S

And I can't wait for Belsimtek/ED to make the F16!

Yeah !

But likely they will do a F-16A MLU instead of a F-16C Block 52 ;)

X-Plane 11.5x / DCS 2.5.6 / P3Dv5 / Aerofly FS 2 / War Thunder

Win10-x64 | ASUS Z390 Maximus VI | Intel i7-9700K @3.6GHz | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB DDR4 | 6TB SSD Samsung 850 Pro | 2TB M2 PCI 4x | ASUS GTX 1080 ROG STRIX 8GB DDR5X | TM Hotas Warthog | Saitek Combat Pedals | Oculus Rift S

Yeah, make sure to get your harness in place. I have fallen out of my F5 cockpit while tying to hold on to the canopy wall to look back wards ;)

I was playing Onward once and during a close encounter I hide behind a wall to reload. All was good until I tried to lean against the wall.

Edited by BigDuke6ixx

• 1 month later...
Sure I can zoom in but it feels wrong.

If it's a case of feelings, cheer yourself up that real pilots have it easier as they can feel the jet going up and down and react instantly, while we need to see/predict actual plane reaction :-)

Granted we don't stick our neck flying in a warzone or even trying to land on a boat :megalol: