My own gunnery revelation

Hub

After being frustrated with my own p-51 gunnery for the last two years. I finally tried something different.

My past practice was to adjust range with the gyro sight as I was dogfighting. (With wingspan around 34ft)

Recently I tried just the fixed sight only, and adjusted lead where I knew it should be.

Finally I have started knocking planes down with 50 cals a bit more regular.

Hope it helps someone else, or gives you something to try .

Hub

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

what you did was called tracking shot (lead pursuit). what you changed is from lead pursuit to snapshoots.

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

I like to use both at once. I use the gyro as a general reference for more distant deflection shots, and the fixed for most everything else. The combo gives you quite a good idea of where to aim in any situation.

Fire only at close range, and only when your opponent is properly in your sights.

-Hauptmann Oswald Boelcke, Jasta 2

what you did was called tracking shot (lead pursuit). what you changed is from lead pursuit to snapshoots.

Not exactly , these shots are all trying to pull a lead shot. I just stopped chasing the gyro and calculate my own lead off of fixed sight. Will try with both and see how it goes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Hub, I've have been using both at the same time lately. It works well for me(except for 190s). The gyro sight has to be steady on target for a sec for it to be totally accurate. If you are pulling the nose through the target to get a solution the pipper will actually will be showing you need more lead then needed.

From a previous game I was used to a fixed sight and was alot more comfortable with that, at first. Including making tracking shots. Now both seems to work. Depending on the shot I'm taking. Fixed for the snaps. Gyro for the tracking with a little english put in.

I've found through flying the 109 that there is no better substitute than experience when it comes to using the gunsight and making predictions. I much prefer fixed sights.

I know some guys who are crazy good with the 30mm on the 109.. beware the mighty Grizz!.... I wonder what ever happened to that guy.

Some guys I fly with just leave the gyro at "11" which is roughly where the 50's converge and fly to get the target into that set gun sight (lead and distance). You'll find a much easier kill if doing this. I also agree that you should keep the gyro on the target and count "one Mississippi" and then fire. Same goes for most earlier gyro's (including the F-5).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

The P-51D Fixed reflector Gunsight has a 70 mils ring (70 ft. at 1,000 ft.)

German fighter wingspan is (+/-) 35 ft.

So, a German fighter wingspan filling One Rad, or half the ring, is at ~ 1,000 ft. range.

Pull 2/3rd's-of-a-second worth of lead and give'em a half-second burst.

...which should be 30+ rounds.

Bowie