Missiles blows up in mid-air problem

ablablabla100

Hello everyone, I have a problem. I fly with Mig-21 and I can't use AA missiles properly. Rockets are blowing up in mid-air after something about 3-4km :cry:. I have the target locked on, and "PUSK" message, but missile looks like it only knows where to go for the first 1-3 seconds, after that the rocket's engine is shutting down... I was using both, the R3-R and S missiles. I don't know am I doing something wrong (maybe there is an option for detonator?) or it's a bug? Problem exist in training mission and also when I made mission in Mission Planer.

Edited by ablablabla100

i5 4460 3.2GHz 16GB RAM GTX650Ti

R-3R requires radar track throughout the flight, R-3S doesn't. How many seconds are elapsing in flight before missiles are destructing?

Is missile head heat switch on? (forward of launch permission) and good tone is heard?

A track of a firing will show many details.

The video doesn't let me see target or missile action, speed, or lifetime but it looks like the SAR missiles are fired at 4-5km upward about 15 degrees in a very slow tail chase. I wouldn't be surprised if this is simply a kinematic limitation.

Rocket motor burn time should be around 2 seconds but the guidance package should continue to function for about another 20.

The minimum-maximum launch range indications on the radar should take various factors into consideration to calculate the launch window of ranges. Being well into the "gap" but kinematically out of range suggests that either the missile kinematics or the in-range calculation is inaccurate.

I did it :D So I think the problem was that I was firing the missiles to early. Before I tried to fire them when distance indicator went right into the lunch zone. So I tried to shoot it something about 3km to target and it did the work (in my case, something about halfway in the lunch zone). I was confused before because I red in encyclopedia that effective range is 7km and I thought that missile has enough energy to manouver within this distance. Thank you for guidance :D

i5 4460 3.2GHz 16GB RAM GTX650Ti

• 9 months later...

Necro-ing this.

I'd started to think this was just a damage model bug with the amount of R-3R's that appeared to hit Tigers and Viggens right in their smug little faces only to have them appear from the cloud left by the explosion like nothing happened. (in multiplayer, against AI it probably is a damage model issue)

checking through some replays and Tacview I see that the missiles self destruct before they get there.

Yes, maintained lock throughout.

Yes within range, usually ~half of the range indicated on the radar display and head on aspect.

One Tacview attached. Missiles track true, but self destruct moments too soon.

Missile flight time 10-11 seconds, speed at self destruct 1.7 mach

Tacview-20170612-031925-DCS-Phone_Booth.zip

I did it :D So I think the problem was that I was firing the missiles to early. Before I tried to fire them when distance indicator went right into the lunch zone. So I tried to shoot it something about 3km to target and it did the work (in my case, something about halfway in the lunch zone). I was confused before because I red in encyclopedia that effective range is 7km and I thought that missile has enough energy to manouver within this distance. Thank you for guidance :D

I would add to it that you were also firing at too low airspeed. On your 2nd attempt you were successful mainly because you were faster than the first attempt.

A rule that I have is always fire SAR missiles with afterburner on and faster than 700km/h. If I miss, is by my pure inability to give my missile a decent fire solution. lol

These old missiles shouldn't get too slow in the air or they will self destruct. Or they can collide in midair as allegedly is what happened if you fire two simultaneously.

Step 1 on the mig 21: Be a missile yourself.

Step 2: Fire your missile.

R-60Ms are another story.

Edited by Czar66
clearer picture

SO if you look VERY closely at the tacview, it looks like you launched both R-3S at the same time and they collide midair. Make sure you select station 1 or 2 not 1-2 and bind a HOTAS function to CW and CCW on the station select...

That's it.

Ran some more tests and sure enough at 10-11 seconds after launch the missiles are right next to each other and explode. Fired singly they're good for 22 seconds :thumbup:

edit: Firing R-3R and R-3S (or R-13M1) in tandem is not a problem as the heaters accelerate off the rails a whole lot faster, just have to be ready to quickly jettison the heater if it didn't get a tone and you need to turn

Edited by Dehuman