How do you manage the Dora's engine?

DSR_T-800

I find myself unable to fly the Dora without eventually destroying the engine, despite being extremely conservative. Even the slightest touch of MW-50 destroys my engine within 2-3 minutes despite decent cool. I've even found myself destroying my engine in level flight with good cooling. I've only truly been shot down once but I've destroyed my engine countless times and each of those times I've tried to be more conservative on my engine management than the other.

From my knowledge MW-50 provides cooling so I should in theory be better off flying with it than without it. Also on top of that I've got 40 minutes worth of MW-50 and I'm permitted to use MW-50 in 10 minutes intervals. So this engine is supposedly capable of handling 40 minutes worth of maximum power per sortie and I'm sure it was capable of doing this for multiple sorties, not just one. However this is not the case for me at least. Also, yes I warm up my engine before take off.

Someone please enlighten me, because I am royally confused.

It's a known bug.. for quite some while.. :(

Specs:

Asus Z97 PRO Gamer, i7 4790K@4.6GHz, 4x8GB Kingston @2400MHz 11-13-14-32, Titan X, Creative X-Fi, 128+2x250GB SSDs, VPC T50 Throttle + G940, MFG Crosswinds, TrackIR 5 w/ pro clip, JetSeat, Win10 Pro 64-bit, Oculus Rift, 27"@1920x1080

Settings:

2.1.x - Textures:High Terrain:High Civ.Traffic:Off Water:High VisRan:Low Heatblur:High Shadows:High Res:1920x1080 RoC:1024 MSAA:4x AF:16x HDR:OFF DefS: ON GCI: ON DoF:Off Lens: OFF C/G:390m Trees:1500m R:max Gamma: 1.5

After Flying two sorties Dora...since dez 2016..

tumblr_o26ja9wvY91tbcweeo1_400.giftumblr_o26ja9wvY91tbcweeo1_400.gif

That's also me when my engine quits in the Bf109. Followed by a lot of unorthodox expressions.. :)

Specs:

Asus Z97 PRO Gamer, i7 4790K@4.6GHz, 4x8GB Kingston @2400MHz 11-13-14-32, Titan X, Creative X-Fi, 128+2x250GB SSDs, VPC T50 Throttle + G940, MFG Crosswinds, TrackIR 5 w/ pro clip, JetSeat, Win10 Pro 64-bit, Oculus Rift, 27"@1920x1080

Settings:

2.1.x - Textures:High Terrain:High Civ.Traffic:Off Water:High VisRan:Low Heatblur:High Shadows:High Res:1920x1080 RoC:1024 MSAA:4x AF:16x HDR:OFF DefS: ON GCI: ON DoF:Off Lens: OFF C/G:390m Trees:1500m R:max Gamma: 1.5

Use MW50 only when absolutely necessary and only if you reached operating temperature (around 90° Oil and water) and you will be fine for the most part. This way you can fly at full throttle until the tank is empty, in most cases.

Yes, it means to renounce 300 horsepowers for 99% of the time, too which you should have access for around 30 minutes of flight, according to all manuals. Sadly we already waited more than 2 years for a fix, so don't hold your breath, as it is apparently not significant enough to be looked at.

Strange, I flew the Dora for around 30 hours on burning skies server since december.

Never had engine troubles.

Same here.

I switch on the MW-50 during start-up and leave it on - the only time I've blown the engine was while manually closing the radiator during speed trials.

Not saying there isn't a problem but I've never encountered it.

the cooling model on all warbirds is getting tweaked

That's an interesting tidbit, we'll see what they come up with. FWIW, I haven't blown the engine yet either, but then, I'm a groundpounder and as such, usually tend not to stress the engine overmuch.

The DCS Mi-8MTV2. The best aviational BBW experience you could ever dream of.

That's an interesting tidbit, we'll see what they come up with. FWIW, I haven't blown the engine yet either, but then, I'm a groundpounder and as such, usually tend not to stress the engine overmuch.

Indeed it is, glad to know about. thanks Nine...

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

Well, speak of the Devil - the Dora's engine just seized on me during MP.

No idea why - I'm really conservative with my engine. I had two sorties punctuated by a hot rearm & refuel. Total MW-50 time must have been less than a minute. Cruising back to base during the second sortie the engine just popped. I think I saw the coolant temperature gauge off-scale to the right as I ditched the plane but I don't know whether the needle was there prior to the engine stopping or only happened when it blew.

I have the track but it's 90mins or so and accelerating time wrecks it. When I get time I'll try 'taking control' during the second sortie and see if I can capture the engine failure on video.

edit: well, scratch that idea. The track replay is perfect right up until I take off for the second sortie, and then within a minute I plow into the deck. And anyway you can't take control during an MP track....:doh:

Edited by Lixma 06

It does seem to be based on how hard you push the engine, I also dont have a lot of luck breaking the engine consistently, but as I said above, the cooling model on all warbirds is getting tweaked and could help.

how is it possible not to break the doras engine^^ just try and use the MW-50 boost for 3 x 10 minutes with 5 minute breaks in between and its gonna blow up 100 % of the time.

its nice to hear that its beeing looked at! would be a dream come true if it gets a fix:)

AI uses 99% rpm and corner v around 140 to 180 kts in the tracks I've watched. In the pony I stick with full throttle 60 inches and play with the rpms between 27 and 30k rpms. throttle back in dives, even more so now. Nice and easy. Let the engine bark but stay away from the idle horn. Scissors work a little better this way too.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

It's perfectly ordinary banter Squiffy, "Bally Jerry, pranged his kite, right in the 'how's your father.'" - Monty Python, RAF Banter Sketch.

Squiffy, a. slang. 1. Intoxicated; drunk. 2. Askew, skew-whiff. - OED

"Put that sucker in a 4G turn and keep it there!!" - Maj. Gen. "Boots" Blesse

• 3 months later...
Here's an engine failure in action.

Flight time appx. 30 mins. MW-50 under 90 seconds total (non-contiguous).

If the failures are temperature-based then the gauges aren't showing it.

its only gage for coolant temp not for vital parts of the engine

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

Will the WW2 engine issues be fixed when the FW 190A8 or P 47D is released? I assume the new aircraft will have improved engine temp mechanics?
IIRC there are a new engine temps management model on the works for all of the WWII stuff. But most people here usually feature really short term memory :huh: .

S!

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice

Stupid question: Do you guys open fully the cowl flaps?

Mainboard: ASUS Maximus X Hero Intel Z 370

CPU: Intel Core i7-8086K @ 4.0 GHz

Memory: 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR4-3000

Graphics Card: ASUS NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 10GB

Monitor ASUS PA 329 32" @ 4K

1 SSD Samsung 860 PRO 256 GB

1 SSD Samsung 860 PRO 4 TB

Windows 10 - 64 V. 2004

CH Pro combatstick, throttle and pedals

Stupid question: Do you guys open fully the cowl flaps?
I've done in times, but it's better to leave it alone as once you open it manually it stops working automatically and it can't be worst for temps indeed.

S!

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

I've done in times, but it's better to leave it alone as once you open it manually it stops working automatically and it can't be worst for temps indeed.

S!

That's not true...

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=227942

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | 32GB DDR4 RAM | NVidia RTX4080 | MSI B550 TOMAHAWK | Creative X-Fi Titanium | Win 10 Pro 64bit | Track IR4 Pro | Thrustmaster Warthog | Saitek Rudder Pedals

That's not true...
I didn't say you can't go back to automatic, just that manual management is worst in the end, even though it can be used if desired.

S!

problem in dora is that oil cooler uses coolant for heat exchange. then in certain situation 100 celcius coolant is not enough to cool oil than oil starts climbing towards redline in that situation you have to open cowl flaps manualy to cool oil via lowering coolant temp. idont know if this actual designe fault or is it dcs cooling mechanics behind that.

Edited by grafspee

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

• 3 months later...
So do we know if the FW190D9 has been dixed? If so, how do you fly it without blowing engine? 10mins od MW50 then 5 or ten minutes to cool then repeat until no fuel left?

What i noticed, Oil temp is no longer shooting sky high after engaging mw50, right now oil temp shoots up but needle is slowing way down near red line.

10min WEP than at least 10 min below continous power

Edited by grafspee