Cold War 1947 - 1991

Alpenwolf

Hey guys. Is there a better way to find the bull’s-eye and/or action on the server while in the F5 if there is no awacs? Are you all using ADF or TACAN to do so ?

Have really enjoyed checking out the server.

Edited by prwoodard

Hey guys. Is there a better way to find the bull’s-eye and/or action on the server while in the F5 if there is no awacs? Are you all using ADF or TACAN to do so ?

Have really enjoyed checking out the server.
I think the F-5s on most missions have their waypoints set up from the start and one of them is usually the bullseye so you could check the kneeboard and use the mark position hack with RCtrl+K. Or just do it oldschool and set your heading from your starting position, use the clock for your flight time, set your speed and navigate by eye. You could also try using the different map modes in the F10 view to match yp what you're seeing out the window with the map. The SAT view is helpful like that.

Sent from my SM-A715F using Tapatalk

Cad bombele din mine ca apa din cascada

On 6/19/2021 at 9:49 AM, Apok said:

Happens sometimes on red. Mostly Ka50 randos wreak havoc.

Yeah two weekends ago (June 12th) a Red Ka50 ("REKA NO") shot up our Kub right near our FARP after we had just set it up. Refused to respond on comms/text.

On 6/19/2021 at 5:49 PM, Admiral_ZIPANGU said:

@Alpenwolf

In a mission we are currently running, two people in an A-10A are deliberately destroying a number of friendly vehicles; I'll submit the Tacview file later, but two people, "Captain America" and "PEPE 1-1", are completely ignoring warnings and repeatedly machine gunning friendly UH-1Hs. The FARP was almost destroyed. I can't hide my frustration.

See why tacview files are necessary? I just checked the files and here's what I saw:

CaptainAmerica took off from Tbilisi-Lochini airbase, flew due west and attacked the friendly FARP. The way he did it, firing Mavericks and extending right away, makes me rather think he thought he was attacking a hostile FARP. Otherwise, why extend? Unless he thought I'd think so and did it the way he did. I mean, that'd be deliberate teamkilling on a high level. And no way on earth I can know which one it is, now can I? Surely not by just assuming it. It is likelier to assume he didn't know he was attacking friendlies rather than assuming he did it deliberately as if he knew I'd analyse his attacks exactly like I stated above and come to the conclusion he had no idea what he was doing. That's obviously rather ridiculous, however not impossible. Who knows...

PEPE 1-1 was flying towards the TA actually and beyond the friendly FARP. He was approaching a friendly Hawk site (he wasn't facing it though) when it started firing at MiG's. He saw the Hawk missiles and instead of continuing his straight flight path, he rather seemed to panic, pull aggressively on the stick, diving quickly and changing course to face what he probably thought to be a hostile SAM site. Unless he thought I'd think so while analysing the tacview file watching his attack. And this is even more ridiculous than the above, however not impossible. So again, who knows...

Claims like "deliberately" and "ignoring warnings" are to be dealt with a high level of carefulness, mate. Many players don't pay attention to the text messages so claiming they "ignored warnings" is a bit presumptuous. Imagine that person had been you and someone reported you to me.

Note:

Obvious deliberate teamkilling leads to a permanent ban. Literally permanent! So far and in all those years it's been 4 players only (players I caught doing such a thing or were reported to me. Doesn't mean only 4 did that all those years. Probably more). One of them (and this one is top notch deliberate teamkilling) took off in a Gazelle Mistral and started shooting down F-5's from the very same airbase he took off from. He'd land, rearm, take off and do it again. And again. And again. 4 times before F-5's finally shot him down. Meanwhile I was told about it, left my Red slot and grabbed a Blue cmdr one and saw exactly that. That's about 3 years ago and he's still banned. For ever! Last year he even reached out to me for the second time via pm trying to justify that behaviour by saying things like he had a rough day at work, drank a bit and wanted to have a bit of fun, etc. We all have bad days. Many people drink. We all want to have fun. The ban remains... For ever!

I have ZERO tolerance for cheating, manipulating, deceiving, exploiting, stealing, etc. Not just in real life but also in a virtual one as it is DCS. While some work hard to get somewhere others con their way through. I despise that.

Conclusion:

The two players you mentioned are hardly on the same level of deliberate teamkilling as the player I just mentioned. They are both banned for a week and a message was also sent to them to let them know why and that being on comms or at least reading the in-game messages can help preventing such an incident.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Cold War 1947 - 1991                                       Discord
Helicopters Tournaments
Combined Arms Tournaments

You can help me with keeping up the server via PayPal donations: hokumyounis@yahoo.com

1 hour ago, Alpenwolf said:

See why tacview files are necessary? I just checked the files and here's what I saw:

CaptainAmerica took off from Tbilisi-Lochini airbase, flew due west and attacked the friendly FARP. The way he did it, firing Mavericks and extending right away, makes me rather think he thought he was attacking a hostile FARP. Otherwise, why extend? Unless he thought I'd think so and did it the way he did. I mean, that'd be deliberate teamkilling on a high level. And no way on earth I can know which one it is, now can I? Surely not by just assuming it. It is likelier to assume he didn't know he was attacking friendlies rather than assuming he did it deliberately as if he knew I'd analyse his attacks exactly like I stated above and come to the conclusion he had no idea what he was doing. That's obviously rather ridiculous, however not impossible. Who knows...

PEPE 1-1 was flying towards the TA actually and beyond the friendly FARP. He was approaching a friendly Hawk site (he wasn't facing it though) when it started firing at MiG's. He saw the Hawk missiles and instead of continuing his straight flight path, he rather seemed to panic, pull aggressively on the stick, diving quickly and changing course to face what he probably thought to be a hostile SAM site. Unless he thought I'd think so while analysing the tacview file watching his attack. And this is even more ridiculous than the above, however not impossible. So again, who knows...

Claims like "deliberately" and "ignoring warnings" are to be dealt with a high level of carefulness, mate. Many players don't pay attention to the text messages so claiming they "ignored warnings" is a bit presumptuous. Imagine that person had been you and someone reported you to me.

Note:

Obvious deliberate teamkilling leads to a permanent ban. Literally permanent! So far and in all those years it's been 4 players only (players I caught doing such a thing or were reported to me. Doesn't mean only 4 did that all those years. Probably more). One of them (and this one is top notch deliberate teamkilling) took off in a Gazelle Mistral and started shooting down F-5's from the very same airbase he took off from. He'd land, rearm, take off and do it again. And again. And again. 4 times before F-5's finally shot him down. Meanwhile I was told about it, left my Red slot and grabbed a Blue cmdr one and saw exactly that. That's about 3 years ago and he's still banned. For ever! Last year he even reached out to me for the second time via pm trying to justify that behaviour by saying things like he had a rough day at work, drank a bit and wanted to have a bit of fun, etc. We all have bad days. Many people drink. We all want to have fun. The ban remains... For ever!

I have ZERO tolerance for cheating, manipulating, deceiving, exploiting, stealing, etc. Not just in real life but also in a virtual one as it is DCS. While some work hard to get somewhere others con their way through. I despise that.

Conclusion:

The two players you mentioned are hardly on the same level of deliberate teamkilling as the player I just mentioned. They are both banned for a week and a message was also sent to them to let them know why and that being on comms or at least reading the in-game messages can help preventing such an incident.

Thank you very much for your support.

I am completely convinced of what you are saying. It was certainly difficult to determine whether their actions were intentional or just a mistake. I have to reflect on my own lack of composure in assuming that it was intentional.

I should have also considered whether or not the other party saw the warning in the chat or SRS. I sometimes fly with text chat hidden on the assumption that I will be using SRS, and I had to take countermeasures against friendly fire on the assumption that they would do the same. I also regret that my English is not very good and it took me a long time to type. (I am currently using the translation function to comment on this.) As long as I am in an international place, I need to learn English too...

Thank you for the attention you have given to both of us. I'll have to be careful not to make the same mistakes they did...

Once again, I would like to apologize for the trouble I caused you in your busy schedule. Thank you for listening and responding to my appeal.

• Like 2

Phantom Forever

F-4EJ / F-4EJ Kai 1971-2021

Sorry, I don't speak English, so I use DeepL Translate. Well, I can speak Japanese.

41 minutes ago, Admiral_ZIPANGU said:

Thank you very much for your support.

I am completely convinced of what you are saying. It was certainly difficult to determine whether their actions were intentional or just a mistake. I have to reflect on my own lack of composure in assuming that it was intentional.

I should have also considered whether or not the other party saw the warning in the chat or SRS. I sometimes fly with text chat hidden on the assumption that I will be using SRS, and I had to take countermeasures against friendly fire on the assumption that they would do the same. I also regret that my English is not very good and it took me a long time to type. (I am currently using the translation function to comment on this.) As long as I am in an international place, I need to learn English too...

Thank you for the attention you have given to both of us. I'll have to be careful not to make the same mistakes they did...

Once again, I would like to apologize for the trouble I caused you in your busy schedule. Thank you for listening and responding to my appeal.

Don't apologise, mate. All good. A behaviour like that should always be reported but only after analysing the tacview file first just to make sure. That's all.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

You can help me with keeping up the server via PayPal donations: hokumyounis@yahoo.com

8 hours ago, MadMaxNZ said:

171206874_3862129787206964_8774389196816804850_n.jpg

Just Curious when the ia-58 is added which team will it be placed on? it fits right in with other cold-war light attack planes like the L-39 and the C-101

Wasn't aware of this plane being developed. Who's working on it?

I don't know if I'm going to add it. Just heard about it. And if then it goes Red and probably in a small number of missions only. Just looked it up and it can hardly carry any weapons. We'll see.

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

Server News:

Operation Open Range:

- Removed all Su-25T's.

- Instead of 8 x Su-25's, it's now 14 (used to be 8 x Su-25's and 8 x Su-25T's).

- Added 10 x Mi-24's.

- The 6 x Ka-50's remain.

- Instead of 12 x SA342M's it's now 20.

- Instead of 4 x AJS37 slots it's now 6 (number of the available AJS37's remain the same).

- Added a road base for the AJS37's -> Waypoint-4. It's closer to the bullseye by ca. 95 km (ca. 60 miles).

- 1 x Avenger, infantries and other armoured units at the road base.

- Briefing adjusted.

road base 1.png

road base 2.png

Edited by Alpenwolf
  • Like 3

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

Just now, LoneS said:

I like how you upgrade old missions and constantly add new things to them. The roadbases are really a great addition!!!!!!! Best server admin!!!!!! I fly on many servers and no one is so dedicated. If you only had the time for learning more lua scripting things would become insanely amazing which they are but you know 😆

Cheers, mate! Very flattering.

• Like 1

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

55 minutes ago, Alpenwolf said:

Server News:

Operation Open Range:

- Removed all Su-25T's.

- Instead of 8 x Su-25's, it's now 14 (used to be 8 x Su-25's and 8 x Su-25T's).

- Added 10 x Mi-24's.

- The 6 x Ka-50's remain.

- Instead of 12 x SA342M's it's now 20.

- Instead of 4 x AJS37 slots it's now 6 (number of the available AJS37's remain the same).

- Added a road base for the AJS37's -> Waypoint-4. It's closer to the bullseye by ca. 95 km (ca. 60 miles).

- 1 x Avenger, infantries and other armoured units at the road base.

- Briefing adjusted.

road base 1.png

road base 2.png

👍👍👍

DEVILS - COLD WAR AVIATORS

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hi Alpen, hopped in the server this morning and i have incountered a strange bug.

The mission was phone boot, hopped in the hind for the second sortie and for some reason i couldn't take away fuel to make the helo lighter (crew said "unable to comply") and also had trouble with loading rocketpods (loaded only 1 in the right inner pylon) only with the S8KOM heat/ap type, despite being available in storage.

Tried spawning a new aircraft,engine on and off and all of that, problem kept coming so im letting you know.

(me and you have some sorties to do in the hind with multicrew btw)

9 hours ago, Alpenwolf said:

Wasn't aware of this plane being developed. Who's working on it?

I don't know if I'm going to add it. Just heard about it. And if then it goes Red and probably in a small number of missions only. Just looked it up and it can hardly carry any weapons. We'll see.

Ah yes, the Pucara!   

RAZBAM is working on it. Or was. I dunno, RAZ seems to have so so many different projects on the go, and I don't think this one has had news about it for some time. It was started for RAZ's Falklands project, which includes a new map, an older British Harrier (Sea Harrier? I can't remember), Mirage III, couple of ships. 

Very few Pucaras were involved in that war. Only 110 Pucaras ever got made or sold. No air to air missiles. It did seem like it would have been effective for very light COIN in the 70's and 80's, but of little use for anything else... sooo... might not be the best fit for Cold War CAS. 

But considering RAZ is currently working on the Mirage3, Mig-23, English Electric Lightning, F-15E Strike, Super Tucano, BO-105 HOT helo, Falklands map... and more.... who knows when the Pucara will be available from the store. 

Edit: 

FMA IA 58 Pucará

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FMA_IA_58_Pucará

Only 110 made. One managed an A 2 A, using it's 7.62 FNH mg's to down a British helicopter. Biggest loss in combat was to SAS night raid ground commandos. Several surviving Pucaras have resided in England since the Falklands war. Again, this is not a tankbuster in any way, not at all meant for even 1960's Soviet formations.

Edited by Rick50

21 minutes ago, Rick50 said:

Ah yes, the Pucara!   

RAZBAM is working on it. Or was. I dunno, RAZ seems to have so so many different projects on the go, and I don't think this one has had news about it for some time. It was started for RAZ's Falklands project, which includes a new map, an older British Harrier (Sea Harrier? I can't remember), Mirage III, couple of ships. 

Very few Pucaras were involved in that war. Not many Pucaras ever got made or sold. No air to air missiles. It did seem like it would have been effective for very light COIN in the 70's and 80's, but of little use for anything else... sooo... might not be the best fit for Cold War CAS. 

But considering RAZ is currently working on the Mirage3, Mig-23, English Electric Lightning, F-15E Strike, Super Tucano, BO-105 HOT helo, Falklands map... and more.... who knows when the Pucara will be available from the store. 

It is a joy to see Razbam commit to the Falklands conflict, MiG23 and EE Lightening but as you say who knows what rate they will be released at, presumably not as quickly as people want.

I think the Falklands, Sea Harrier, F15E and MiG23 are the priority (and also that's my guess at what order they will release in over the next 2-3 years).

• Like 2

Ryzen 5800x@5Ghz | 96gb DDR4 3200Mhz | Asus Rx6800xt TUF OC | 500Gb OS SSD + 1TB Gaming SSD | Asus VG27AQ | Trackhat clip | VPC WarBRD base | Thrustmaster stick and throttle (Deltasim minijoystick mod).

F14 | F16 | AJS37 | F5 | Av8b | FC3 | Mig21 | FW190D9 | Huey

Been playing DCS from Flanker 2.0 to present 😄

3 hours ago, Rigo said:

Hi Alpen, hopped in the server this morning and i have incountered a strange bug.

The mission was phone boot, hopped in the hind for the second sortie and for some reason i couldn't take away fuel to make the helo lighter (crew said "unable to comply") and also had trouble with loading rocketpods (loaded only 1 in the right inner pylon) only with the S8KOM heat/ap type, despite being available in storage.

Tried spawning a new aircraft,engine on and off and all of that, problem kept coming so im letting you know.

(me and you have some sorties to do in the hind with multicrew btw)

Hey, man, long time! Hope you're doing well.

Check out question 8 under FAQ's on the main post of this thread. There's your answer.

We will certainly fly the Hind together. You can count on it. However, I'd rather wait a bit for some of its bugs to be fixed first. Don't push me 😉

Good to have you back.

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

Server News:

Operation When The Mountains Cry:

- All 8 x Su-25T's have been removed.

- Instead, additional 8 x Su-25's were added.

- Added 12 x Mi-24's.

- Instead of 12 x Ka-50's it's now 6.

- Instead of 12 SA342M's it's now 18.

- Removed poles and streetlamps around the AJS37's road base.

* With that, all missions have the Mi-24 included. The only exception is operation Catch Me If You Can because it has no Red helicopters in the first place.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

1 hour ago, Get_Lo said:

The Mi-24 is unbelievably fun to play on the Cold War Server

I know i just had the misfortune of only being able to play it twice since all of yesterday i was never on at the time when a mission with it was running. Looks like Alpenwolf has changed most missions to include it now.

Hopefully blue will get the Mirage F1 soon. Right now red has such a fun new toy, that is also decently effective

Edited by CrazyGman
  • Like 2

28 minutes ago, CrazyGman said:

I know i just had the misfortune of only being able to play it twice since all of yesterday i was never on at the time when a mission with it was running. Looks like Alpenwolf has changed most missions to include it now.

Hopefully blue will get the Mirage F1 soon. Right now red has such a fun new toy, that is also decently effective

yeah, my pilot and I are perfecting some techniques to handle SAMs.

• Like 2

Server News:

Operation Sukhumi - The Beginning is back online:

- Bf 109's removed completely and are now replaced by I-16's.

- T-55's vs Leopard 1A3's instead of Panzer IV vs Shermans.

- Remember! It's R-55's vs AIM-9B's (GAR-8's) ONLY!

- Helicopters remain excluded in this mission of the early Cold War stages.

• Like 1

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

2 minutes ago, CrazyGman said:

Nice what are you finding works best?

the sites we tested against were on that mission with the EWR site objectives, each one had 2 Avengers (Very dangerous) 1 Vulcan (kinda dangerous) and 1 .50 cal Humvee (not very dangerous) we discovered that against the Avengers you have to charge them and get them both in 1 pass. if you turn away from the Avenger it will kill you. we come in as fast as possible and try to fire at the first one from max range. by the time the second one is dead the M163 is probably shooting at you now, and you can run from the M163 vulcan.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Get_Lo said:

the sites we tested against were on that mission with the EWR site objectives, each one had 2 Avengers (Very dangerous) 1 Vulcan (kinda dangerous) and 1 .50 cal Humvee (not very dangerous) we discovered that against the Avengers you have to charge them and get them both in 1 pass. if you turn away from the Avenger it will kill you. we come in as fast as possible and try to fire at the first one from max range. by the time the second one is dead the M163 is probably shooting at you now, and you can run from the M163 vulcan.

Are you pre-flaring with the avenger. I've had decent success against them on blue flag 80s, but if i forget to flare during the run in and out i'll eat a stinger for sure

Just now, CrazyGman said:

Are you pre-flaring with the avenger. I've had decent success against them on blue flag 80s, but if i forget to flare during the run in and out i'll eat a stinger for sure

trying to fix the flare de-sync, havent found a solution yet