Squadron Helmets

Dispatch

Most of them are all White reflective tape.

the Era of the Explicitly Designed Helmets is pretty much over.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

Yes, and where is the fun in all having a white helmet :doh:

USN uses the white reflective tape to aid SAR,

Again, USN Lot 20, not USMC, nor RAAF, or RCAF.

That being said, takes like 5 minutes.

309167209_ModelViewer2018-07-1621-32-08-87.thumb.jpg.c6f49001c1c1bfb9a95c1227887ea405.jpg

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

USN uses the white reflective tape to aid SAR,

Again, USN Lot 20, not USMC, nor RAAF, or RCAF.

That being said, takes like 5 minutes.

It’s actually a regulation that a % of the helmet be reflective I believe. That being said I can pull YouTube videos and most have designs on them even with this regulation. USN squadron pilots.

It’s actually a regulation that a % of the helmet be reflective I believe. That being said I can pull YouTube videos and most have designs on them even with this regulation. USN squadron pilots.

The Era of Intricate designs like ones observed in Top Gun, The Final Count Down, etc, is over.

The Most you'll see if White Base reflective tape, with a design on the back behind the ear area, and the Back.

w/ Exception of CO/XO Helmets having more design decals over top of the Reflective Material.

If it is a regulation, it is a good one. Bobbing up & down in a vast ocean, I'd want all the reflective tape I could get for them to spot me before the sharks did.

If it is a regulation, it is a good one. Bobbing up & down in a vast ocean, I'd want all the reflective tape I could get for them to spot me before the sharks did.

Here it is

*Protective helmet — The helmet shall be 100 percent covered with

white reflective tape except as modified by approved aircrew system changes.

Up to 30 square inches of light-colored reflective tape may be applied so

long as the white tape remains visible from all directions. The use of

reflective tape may degrade NVD performance. Temporary, nonreflective cloth

covers may be worn over the reflective tape.

I did aviation environmental systems in the USN, which included ejection seats and safety equipment. When you go in the drink you have a very bright strobe, green florescent dye, and a buoyancy vest that automatically actuate with contact of sea water. We were told that in WW2 red dye was used instead of green. Pilots were constantly being eaten by sharks and they couldn't figure out why... until they found out that the dye was made of dried pigs blood!

Concerning helmet tape; in the 90s we were encouraged to cover flight line and pilots helmets with reflective tape, and there were no real rules about design. As riggers, the pilots would pay us booze to do cool designs for them. Cartoon characters flipping the bird or engaged in unwholesome acts were pretty common, as well as skulls and messages for the enemy. Mine said "F*@# the whales, save the humans".

It's a good thing that this is Early Access and we've all volunteered to help test and enhance this work in progress... despite the frustrations inherent in the task with even the simplest of software... otherwise people might not understand that this incredibly complex unfinished module is unfinished. /light-hearted sarcasm

• 5 weeks later...

and what about having normal HGU-55P or -68 helmets as options rather than the bulky JHMCS. Which as far as I know, it´s only mandatory for AIM-9X and Superbug crews

i5 8400 | 32 Gb RAM | RTX 2080Ti | Virpil Mongoose T-50 base w/ Warthog & Hornet sticks | Warthog throttle | Cougar throttle USB | DIY Collective | Virpil desk mount | VKB T-Rudder Mk IV | Oculus Rift S | Buddy-Fox A-10 UFC | 3x TM MFDs | 2x bass shakers pedal plate| SIMple SIMpit chair | WinWing TakeOff panel | PointCTRL v2 | Andre JetSeat | Winwing Hornet UFC | Winwing Viper ICP

FC3 - Warthog - F-5E - Harrier - NTTR - Hornet - Tomcat - Huey - Viper - C-101 - PG - Hip - SuperCarrier - Syria - Warthog II - Hind - South Atlantic - Sinai - Strike Eagle

IIRC in the Fighter Pilot Podcast this was brought up. Jell-O said that you could only add minimal customization. He would write on his helmet the number of friends who had unfortunately perished in aviation accidents. Like the others said, the rest of the helmet had to be reflective white by regulation.

The other issue is the way the helmet texture is set. The texture shows the left side of the helmet and mirrors it to the right. For the HGU-33 style helmets this works because a lot of the custom designs were on the side of the helmet. For HGU-55 and later (with that big rubber area on the sides of the helmet), most designs are on the back of the helmet. This means that the design would need to be symmetrical and you would need to match up the lines perfectly.

Bottom line: you can still be creative, but it may be more difficult than it's worth for many.

Edited by Home Fries

The Era of Intricate designs like ones observed in Top Gun, The Final Count Down, etc, is over.

The Most you'll see if White Base reflective tape, with a design on the back behind the ear area, and the Back.

w/ Exception of CO/XO Helmets having more design decals over top of the Reflective Material.

Will our Hornet pilot be getting the standard issue US Navy white helmet?

i5 7600K @4.8GHz | 1080 Ti | 32GB 3200MHz | SSD | DCS SETTINGS | "COCKPIT"

Dare I say it, its a virtual plane flown in a virtual world.

That's why Photoshop exist, so all virtual pilots can creat their own virtual helmet for their virtual pilot in their virtual aircraft. :) The point is, no one from the team would waste their times to creates them as it's not like this in RL and it's pretty much a thing very few wants, i personaly create all my liveries, and i think i merely never, ever wasted time on helmets.

well... its for sure a nice to have but not a must have :)

Intel i7-9700K @4.7 Ghz ° Win 11 64bit Pro ° 32Gb DDR4 3000mhz ° 1Gb Samsung 970 Evo plus Nvme M.2 ° RTX 2070 super ° Virpil WarBrd and Constellation Stick & TM Warthog Throttle ° TM pedals ° 5120x1440 samsung 49" monitor

• 1 year later...